Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to break 95 from blue

Go down 
+55
Mtws
vinjess
klt59
flashpacker
asahi
drawbias
blee67
Golf_Fan1234
Turbo
golferx
alvin7379
Kaii
bomby
Denmeister
willytan
dmateo
peter.golfer
zhenxua
mrkatsucurry
renode
enwee
s-killer
Christo72
herpderp
Acemangill
audi
pushslice
mengteck71
CoastGuy
Khorkar
slinger
dunlookback
Birdman
kuuligan
bkll
Unexceptional Golfer
BigblackGoof
ChrisD
tonnyfong
skybobo
haragolfer
andrew-golf
chien
Duval_S
billi
TDO
fata
dtan
hkhamateur
Derek
Quest
pocketace
Gofnut
sob
jaketang
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:10 am

if you don't want to practise your long iron.. then the easiest way is to find a way to add 40m average to your drive and wood shots.

Otherwise start to practise those 4, 5, 6 iron and get it to the consistency of your 7 iron... 

Blue and white is around 10-40 meter in distance diff to white. If you just want to play as if you're from white then. If you can cover it with either one of the above or better all of the above then you are ok.  (assuming your chip / put does not need to change).
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Very good info for those like me who is chasing to break the jinx.

Nice read.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Just thought I would share what happened during my friday game.

I play off blue tees.

Tee off was long n straight on the first hole. Proceeded to duff my approach n left my 3rd shot short of green n ended up with a double bogey.

For the rest of the 1st nine, the driver decided to be adventurous n wanted to explore the forests on both sides of the fairway.  I had to layup most of the time and ended up shooting 48 for the 1st nine.

My regular kakis would usually double up our bets for the 2nd nine. As such, if I can play better, I may have a chance to lose lesser or break even.  I HAVE to keep my tee offs on the fairway to be able to pose a challenge!

I told my caddie, "no more driver this nine." Even though I just gotten my 3w, it still found the fairway or light rough for all the holes it was used on.  At least now, I could put the ball closer to the green on my 2nd shots and rely on my chipping to scramble for pars.

2nd nine score: 41

So just in one game, we can see how keeping the tee offs on the fairway has a huge impact on the score.  

If shooting low scores is your priority, then there will be times when the driver needs to stay in the bag.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 11:07 am

Breaking 95 IMHO is all about not taking risks.. and aim for putt for par. You will need to be good at putting.. try to putt close.

You will need to be relatively good and stable swing and play to your scoring distance and most workable club.

If you cannot play long irons.. play two shots.. better than taking a risk on your long irons and go no where. At least you can get a putt for par and reduce your penalty shot.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 11:58 am

Not meant to offend anyone. Can u play 80s consistently from white? If not, try doing so at white. You will prob learn enough skills at white and it will make your blue journey hopefully easier.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 12:37 pm

It's relatively easy to break 95 from blue although can only drive 180m from tee.
It's all about course management once you are ascertain to be able to hit relatively straight but without distance.

Eg.

Par 4 (380m) 
drive 180m 
7i approach layup 130m
Pitch 70m onto green 
2 putts = bogey

Par 3 (180m)
7i Approach layup 130m
Pitch 50m 
2 putts = bogey

Bogey game = 90
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 2:18 pm

skybobo wrote:
Not meant to offend anyone. Can u play 80s consistently from white? If not, try doing so at white. You will prob learn enough skills at white and it will make your blue journey hopefully easier.

Agree fully. Just had a game yesterday afternoon at NSRCC Changi. So fed up with the front 2 flights holding up play playing from Blue. So painful to watch & had to end the game more than 30min behind time, feeling frustrated. 

Skybobo is correct. There are more than enough lessons from White to learn from. Different shots to practise and pull off to achieve GIR, instead of struggling to play bogey game at every hole. 

Let's all do our part to make the game enjoyable for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 2:23 pm

EASY, just record below 95 for whatever u played
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Quest wrote:
skybobo wrote:

Agree fully. Just had a game yesterday afternoon at NSRCC Changi. So fed up with the front 2 flights holding up play playing from Blue. So painful to watch & had to end the game more than 30min behind time, feeling frustrated. 

Skybobo is correct. There are more than enough lessons from White to learn from. Different shots to practise and pull off to achieve GIR, instead of struggling to play bogey game at every hole. 

Let's all do our part to make the game enjoyable for everyone.
Call the marshals.. Weekend they should have been more strict on the hcp.. no?

Bogey game is ok.. just dun hole up.. but hole out asap.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 2:56 pm

skybobo wrote:

Siao liao.. I cannot play from blue liao.. cos me blue or white.. same score.. Sad consistently bad.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:50 pm

bomby wrote:
skybobo wrote:

Siao liao.. I cannot play from blue liao.. cos me blue or white.. same score.. Sad consistently bad.
Bro, your long game is good. Brush up a bit on short game and you are fine liao......dun buaya ah
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Not sure if this count as a tip... I was once told straight in my face..
"before tee off I am giving u one stroke, after u tee off.. suddenly I got an extra stroke!"

Most of the time, huge scores come from a bad tee shot. players who play in the high 90s will find it hard to recover from a bad tee shot, resulting in double, tripple bogey or worst.

To start trimming down your score, best way is to stop having too many burst holes... and it all starts by cutting down on wayward tee shots.

Good short game will come in when breaching the 90 mark.
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Quest, the prob with nsrcc is that there are a lot of golfers who play blue, have hcp 18 and below but in actual fact, the below 18 hcp comes from submission of fake scores.
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 10:36 pm

That is the wrong way to play the game. Playing beyond one's ability will only make the game more difficult. Instead of ego and over-estimation of ability, integrity, honesty and genuine interest to want to improve will make the game so much more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 10:39 pm

ChrisD wrote:
It's relatively easy to break 95 from blue although can only drive 180m from tee.
It's all about course management once you are ascertain to be able to hit relatively straight but without distance.

Eg.

Par 4 (380m) 
drive 180m 
7i approach layup 130m
Pitch 70m onto green 
2 putts = bogey

Par 3 (180m)
7i Approach layup 130m
Pitch 50m 
2 putts = bogey

Bogey game = 90

ChrisD,

You must easily be a 80s player.
Please share share how to break 90s leh.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 7:48 am

willytan wrote:
ChrisD wrote:

Eg.

Par 4 (380m) 
drive 180m 
7i approach layup 130m
Pitch 70m onto green 
2 putts = bogey

Par 3 (180m)
7i Approach layup 130m
Pitch 50m 
2 putts = bogey

Bogey game = 90

ChrisD,

You must easily be a 80s player.
Please share share how to break 90s leh.
Willy, 

Been sometime ever since I last touch my clubs.
The last time when we played, I score 100s.

Do u know why there's a HCP restriction for ppl with HCP 18 and above to play white tee? First make sure u are able to play below 90s on white tee before starting to play off blue tee.
But still a fair amount of ppl playing off blue bcos of peers, getting the value out of it, etc. in that way it will only slow down the game as you can easily see in most of the courses in Singapore.

By breaking 90s off white, one can be done with either teeing off occasionally straight with distance of 180-200m or have good short game (0-70m) Able to occasionally GIR 30-40% of the greens.

By breaking 90 off blue, require min. 220m drive or good short game (0-70m) able to occasionally GIR 30-40% of the greens
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:09 am

not necessary to hit very long tee shots to go below 95 . only dun stray your shots, the chances will be high
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:23 am

Bro Chris, 30% to 40% GIR is not considered occasionally liao ah.....that is already a very good stats for a say 17 hcp. I agree with u we need good short game to break 95 from blue. But to drive min 220m not really necessary, but rather a fairly straight drive that keeps both side out of trouble. 

My humble opinion lah. 

U play 100s.....quite hard to believe. I heard u are a single hcp leh and drive long long putt Chun Chun.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:47 am

SBB,

Stated or and not necessary cos I have old man friend who drive 180-200m but still plays below 90s with his good short game.

By breaking 90 off blue, require min. 220m drive OR good short game (0-70m) able to occasionally GIR 30-40% of the greens

That's just rumors. But I heard you are damn pro and teaches a lot of ppl on course management.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:56 am

ChrisD wrote:
SBB,

Stated or and not necessary cos I have old man friend who drive 180-200m but still plays below 90s with his good short game.

By breaking 90 off blue, require min. 220m drive OR good short game (0-70m) able to occasionally GIR 30-40% of the greens
Bro, I did see the 'or'
What I mean is good short game I agree.
But min 220m not necessary cos u state min 220m or......
By driving 220m does not imply I will break 90 from blue. But having a good short game, it is very likely I can break 90 from blue. 

Anyway we can all agree to disagree
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 9:19 am

Don't think necessary to have min 220m to break 90 off Blue.  Anyway, average golfers will not do 220m drives, prob once in a blue moon.  Key is keeping out of trouble and finding the short stuff so that the approach is more straightforward. From blue on long par 4s, it could be from 150m - 160m onwards to the green and if the long game is not steady, then more difficult.  

As rightly pointed out, the shot savers are the 75m & below pitches, chips & putts.  If 2 cannot on, at least 3 must put on or near so that it can be an easier putt.  

There will be the occasional double and triple bogeys, so the pars that can be chalked up will help to even out the scores.  Sometimes, the par 3s can be killers.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 9:29 am

One add point to note, weekday blue tee and weekend blue tee are different. If u play nsrcc often, you will notice the diff.
Back to top Go down
golferx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golferx

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 10:30 am

Just my observation.

Driver hit around 200M (+- 20M)
Iron 7 hit around 130M (+- 10M) + Accuracy > 70% (left/right not more than 30M)
Wedges can cover anything below 100M with high accuracy ard 90% (left/right not more than 10M)
Everyting in max 2putts.
Mind-set need to be strong. Always look forward to new hole to play better.

I think you can be 80s group.
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 11:12 am

Physical constrains is also an issue - Play golf to be fit or Fit to play golf?

saw many golfer using very heavy clubs n after 10-12 holes starting to slack
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 12:21 pm

IMHO.. If one control and play at least a putt for par (and can sink within 2 putts).. 95 from blue is really achievable. U still have 5 shots buffer.

Key is putting and 75m shot into green.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to break 95 from blue
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next