Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to break 95 from blue

Go down 
+55
Mtws
vinjess
klt59
flashpacker
asahi
drawbias
blee67
Golf_Fan1234
Turbo
golferx
alvin7379
Kaii
bomby
Denmeister
willytan
dmateo
peter.golfer
zhenxua
mrkatsucurry
renode
enwee
s-killer
Christo72
herpderp
Acemangill
audi
pushslice
mengteck71
CoastGuy
Khorkar
slinger
dunlookback
Birdman
kuuligan
bkll
Unexceptional Golfer
BigblackGoof
ChrisD
tonnyfong
skybobo
haragolfer
andrew-golf
chien
Duval_S
billi
TDO
fata
dtan
hkhamateur
Derek
Quest
pocketace
Gofnut
sob
jaketang
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 11:42 am

zx, pls dun jump q....

his boney a$$ is mine...

u can have whats left after....
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 1:42 pm

slinger wrote:
zx, pls dun jump q....

his boney a$$ is mine...

u can have whats left after....

I book him oct Liao.....

To offer my meat though.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 2:24 pm

ZX, I can entertain you while u wait for the bird. 12th oct on?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 1:59 pm

KFB finger lickin' good is it? geek

Looks like we got a flight oredi.... Slinger, ZhenXua, Asahi, and poor ole me.

Dunno I got enough meat to feed all or not... pig
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Birdman wrote:

sorri...pls sort out ZX n asahi on another time...

its me, you, mystery guest 1 and mystery guest 2!!

ROFL
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 4:18 pm

Birdman wrote:

Well, u can simply put on more fat$ to satisfy each and everyone of them ...
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 1:21 am

slinger wrote:
Birdman wrote:

ROFL

bro birdman, i think you, me and asahi would be more palatable for you ... we can get alvin7379 to fill the flight
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 7:18 am

Seriously OT, but I like!!!

Lai, state place state time.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Back to the topic of the subject ... last monday I had my first game in a few months ... has 2 range sessions in the week prior but did not find anytime to go to a chipping or putting green

Shot 90 at Tasik Puteri ... with some interesting stats ... 6 pars, 6 bogeys, 6 doubles

Driving ... acceptable ... first thing was that while I can hit draws at the range, on the course, everything goes back to a fade/slice.  After 2 holes, decided to accept it and not try to hit the shot that I could play on the range and just keep the ball in play and accept a slightly longer shot into the green.  1 penalty from driving into a hazard, 1 where I had to punch out of trees, otherwise mostly in the fairway ... GOOD

Woods/hybrids ... not the best contact, but decent direction, and with wonders of modern tech, still managed to advance it the distance I needed even on slight fat shots ... PASS

Ball Striking (irons) ... although driving shorter than normal, with the exception of 2 long par 4s, I was still striking mid irons (occasionally short irons) into greens.  And I only managed to hit 1 GIR.  A 7 Iron (36deg) shot into a 137m Par 3.  Everything else was left or right of the green with 2 fat shots (on 2 holes) when I had a 9 iron in my hand from middle of the fairway after a good drive ... overall assesment ... FAIL

Short Game ... erratic ... I made 5 up and downs and hit quite a number of good chips (with only 1 GIR, I got a lot of chance to practice chipping).  But for the first 6-7 holes, I was chunking chips badly, sometimes needed 3 chips to get to the green ... it got smoother after I settled down and remembered how to play golf in the 2nd nine ... 1st 9 ABSOLUTE FAIL ... 2nd 9 GOOD

Putting ... nothing to complain about ... pace and stroke were both good (except for 1st hole, missed 2.5 foot putt, but first real putt in a few months, I forgive myself) and quite a few putts finished within 2 inches of the hole, if those had gone in, would have played mid 80s, which I definitely did not deserve.  GOOD

Looking at the whole game, 1st 9 - 6 doubles 3 pars, 2nd 9 - 6 bogeys 3 pars.  Key difference between the 2?  I stopped duffing my chips ...

I know I need to work on my iron striking (although I was trying an old Titleist CB 704 on the day, the main reason is me, not the clubs) going forward.  Making bogey from the middle of the fairway with 9 iron in hand off a flat lie is not something I want to repeat very often.

But the main point of my post is to go back to this article.  For most social golfers, improving their short game (pitching, chipping) and trouble shots (bunker play, punching out, half swings) will contribute to their scores much more quickly than any other area.  As long as they combine it with realistic course management.

Some might say my perpective is skewed cos I had a decent driving round ... food for thought ... if your driver is not working ... you have options ... tee off with wood/hybrid/iron ... to keep it in play.  If your short game is not working ... you have very limited other options ... and if you had the imagination and confidence to putt with a 5 wood 40 meters, you would not be having a dysfuctional short game.

In summary, my opinion is that being proficient (and confident) from inside 50m can really help to manage the "damage" to your score as long as you make the smart decision off the tee.

Of course, if you are struggling to make contact with all your clubs, then perhaps trying to break 95 from blue may not be a realistic target for you.  Food for thought, working on short game and pitching will probably help with full swing contact as well (smoother rhythm, be it fast or slow tempo).  Direction however is a different story.

For me, next game is this saturday, and I'll hang on to all those nice up and downs and throw the rest away.  Hopefully with Ikan Batang back in the bag, the iron dispersion will be less (must think positive, even though the factual part of me knows that equipment will not fix the flaws) and look forward to spending some time outdoors.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:42 pm

I just remembered what my coach said.....

Three most important clubs that we need to hit well:

Driver
Wedge
Putter

That's the road to low scores.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Derek,

Thanks for sharing your insights and experience. 
To break 95 from blue is all about keeping expectations low and not try miraculous shots from wayward drives. 

Once the ball is in the woods, just find the safest route back to the fairway and reset. Try to shoot for 3 or 4 on and then walk off to the next hole with a bogey or double will be good enough.

Shooting 95 allows you a couple of doubles (5). So managing wayward shots is the key.
Back to top Go down
klt59
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 6:02 pm

slinger wrote:

ROFL
 Bro Slinger, why always got mystery guest!!! so scary....
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 9:36 am

EWow....

My quest to break 90s from blue has been more than a year with a blink of an eye and yet my score is "so near yet so far".

During the past months, I have done the followings
- Changed my swing
- Joined the dark side (quest for JDM)
- Choosen course management over long drive
- lay up shot (90-130m) if possible
- Increase my GIR
- Reduce 3 putts

I found that my weakness is usually either my driver (longest club) or my putting (shortest club). If I can drive fairly well, my putter flop. If my drive is weak, my putting is magical. 

Hopefully I can achieve my "break 90" by end of the year.
Wish me luck.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 10:10 am

willytan wrote:
EWow....

My quest to break 90s from blue has been more than a year with a blink of an eye and yet my score is "so near yet so far".

During the past months, I have done the followings
- Changed my swing
- Joined the dark side (quest for JDM)
- Choosen course management over long drive
- lay up shot (90-130m) if possible
- Increase my GIR
- Reduce 3 putts

I found that my weakness is usually either my driver (longest club) or my putting (shortest club). If I can drive fairly well, my putter flop. If my drive is weak, my putting is magical. 

Wish me luck.

Good luck willy, I am sure you can with your dedication!!
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 10:19 am

It's like Mission impossible for me to break 95 from blue.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 10:30 am

ChrisD wrote:
It's like Mission impossible for me to break 95 from blue.

U playing left handed golf nowadays huh ? Right handed clubs too easy for you liao..
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 10:34 am

sob wrote:
willytan wrote:
EWow....

Wish me luck.

Good luck willy, I am sure you can with your dedication!!

KC

Thanks for the encouragement.

I think more importantly is also to strengthen my mental focus too.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 10:41 am

Willy
Can you share what's your fairway percentage like?  Eg. 10/14 fw hits or ? Also what do you score for the four par 3s in a round? And lastly how many three putts per round on average?
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 10:57 am

chien wrote:
Willy
Can you share what's your fairway percentage like?  Eg. 10/14 fw hits or ? Also what do you score for the four par 3s in a round? And lastly how many three putts per round on average?

Huh....

I dun really keep track but roughly shld be:

Fairway (10/14) - 5 or 6 if my drive aren't wild. I m happy when my drive dun go OB or borrow Fw

Par 3 - Usually bogey and will occasionally get a par.

3 putts - At least 3 per game. 

Been having abit of issue with my putting recently.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 11:24 am

Willy,

Played with you a few times and i can tell you, that you are easily a low 80s player consistently.

A few points you may wanna consider:

1. Easy swing on your drive on some holes, maybe even 3w to tee off
2. Course management on some holes
3. reviewing your 50m below, short game 

you will be unbeatable ...
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 11:29 am

Hi Willy 
I'm not a Pro but just sharing my opinion since you're my fellow Jdm fan.. ..
If you mean you are only getting 5 or 6 fw hits from 14 drives  then i think we have found the issue. . Imho JDM drivers are not always the most forgiving. (My Jbeam is not my longest but out of fun I'm still using it though)
Since we're not professional players, getting out of hazards and scoring a par would be a lot more difficult. 
Thus I would focus on getting the drives on fw more, try to increase that to 10 / 14 fairways? Don't worry about the distance first. And don't worry about the 3 putts, Yamada will take care of that. ..  Maybe you can share with us again your scores after that. . I feel it'll be pretty good. .   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 11:41 am

Im still trying hard to break 95 from white..... pale
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 11:53 am

Wah.... 95 from blue is like once in a blue moon..
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 1:08 pm

chien wrote:
Hi Willy 
I'm not a Pro but just sharing my opinion since you're my fellow Jdm fan.. ..
If you mean you are only getting 5 or 6 fw hits from 14 drives  then i think we have found the issue. . Imho JDM drivers are not always the most forgiving. (My Jbeam is not my longest but out of fun I'm still using it though)
Since we're not professional players, getting out of hazards and scoring a par would be a lot more difficult. 
Thus I would focus on getting the drives on fw more, try to increase that to 10 / 14 fairways? Don't worry about the distance first. And don't worry about the 3 putts, Yamada will take care of that. ..  Maybe you can share with us again your scores after that. . I feel it'll be pretty good. .   Very Happy
Chien usually hit around 12 to 14 fairway and 75% GIR in a round of 18.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Chien,

Thanks for the advise. 

Hopefully can find chance to game with u so as to learn a little more to improve my game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to break 95 from blue   How to break 95 from blue - Page 6 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to break 95 from blue
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next