Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is a Right Sided Swing??

Go down 
+78
Harold03
TourSwing
DRGjr72
Turbo
ak7776
pushslice
haragolfer
canonphilips
Kookk
ironstarz
hoppie
TigaWood
skybobo
Gray
TheFocalPoint
aimscratch
Frederick
devehrey
travis
iori_del
duffader
HH
HyBriD
scram
EricSKH
clarencekim
edhannan
markteo
JetA1
mengteck71
JonL_TK
mika
ghoonk
TITW
garfield
mervyntan
ironhead
chemicalpro
DGman
SC
slinger
Birdman
Stardust
bryantee84
weesern
rocky
Ssquirrel
Agumon
RegiT
guybrush
S70B
eiji
daveaha
nigelbob
rc311
Soka
jurongtiger
who8168
smails
shorthitter
Linch
jaketang
Roystonnn
G_Man
RogY
Winston
Dstruc
noonan
Lamts18
kopiO
golf_snowman
tronos
watermyforrest
ironfist
nientsu
missmoon
redbull
Right_sided_coach
82 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 11:51 pm

its good to see Rory doing well and its good to hear that its a result of his commitment to RSS.

Without malice intended, i am sure that RSS will work well for some and great for others. thats why some players will get great results immediately while others take a longer time.

Golf is interesting because we can see 10 different pros with 10 different swings, there is no guarantee who will win but at the end of the day, its really up to the player themselves. It could be a combination of experience, technique, perseverance, fitness, self-believe, mental state, etc.

Having said that a sound technique is still the key to success. that is the difference between the Champion, runner up and the wannabes. It is also the reason why Rory must be committed to his new swing change and he will only get better.

Congratulations Paul and also to our colleague Chris for your efforts to turning Rory Hie around in such a short time.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks Eric

I will pass the message to Chris

Just for the record, I have not done any work with Rory, just showing the videos. As can be seen with all the RSS instructors, we get all our students to improve the same way.

Just the set up, the radius, the turn and the shift.

As for those that improve faster than others, it depends on 3 things,
1. How bad it is to start with
2. The talent of the student
3. The dedication to the drills and practice

Maybe should also add in the influence by other golfers around them telling them to try this, try that and the confusion it brings

Golfers, even the pros will always regress back to their old movements as well.
When Chris arrived on Monday in Jakarta, Rory was all over the place and had lost the feel he had.
This was how he was swinging his driver.....looks like his old swing.

They soon got it back on track...
The common fix we have is making people do less which doesn't feel powerful but it is. Its a constant battle to keep it in check

Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 10:56 am

In the first major of the year on the Champions Tour, Peter Senior shot four under the card in the final round at the Regions Tradition, Shoal Creek, Alabama to be equal leader with Tom Lehman on 13 under par.
Both players made par on the first play off hole but unfortunately Peter missed the green on their second time down the 18th and bogeyed the hole.
Nevertheless it is a great result for Pete in the first major of the year and moves him into 8th place on the money list. The field included 23 major winners

What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 Ctplay10
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Right Siders Do-hoon Kim and Scott Barr have both qualified for the 111th US Open winning the Sectional Qualifying held at Ibaraki Golf Club in Japan. Both players finished on 7 under total, Barr shooting 63 in the final round.They will join Michael Campbell at Congressional
Back to top Go down
ak7776
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 11:54 am

Hi Paul

I also have a deep interest in RSS but maybe i am going about the wrong. One of the questions i have is whether the RSS will be likely to cause injury? I recall hearing this from one of the kakis who had recently joined our flight. Hope I am not repeating any previously posted topics.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 5:38 pm

RSS is a very fluid & effective execution of golf swing. I guess TW's swing to a certain extent is a RSS. Do correct me if I was wrong ...
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 6:29 pm

ak7776 wrote:
Hi Paul

I also have a deep interest in RSS but maybe i am going about the wrong. One of the questions i have is whether the RSS will be likely to cause injury? I recall hearing this from one of the kakis who had recently joined our flight. Hope I am not repeating any previously posted topics.

thats what my kakis tell me also. That i am injuring myself
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Turbo wrote:
RSS is a very fluid & effective execution of golf swing. I guess TW's swing to a certain extent is a RSS. Do correct me if I was wrong ...

I am not sure that Tiger's swing should be credited to anyone right now. He is currently attributed to be working with Foley who is a propontent of Bennet and Plumber with some variation. His theory is slightly different than that of B&P who are credited with the creation of S&T. From my research and connections Foley is on his own at this point and maybe from time to time will seek out help from the S&T camp for various things, and video help, as his ideas are close to theirs.

I have not seen anywhere, however, where the TW swing and his new action is associated with RSS. Maybe it is not known in the US or maybe they don't want to associate what Foley is doing to what they are doing for whatever reason.

I would hate to associate TW and his current action to something that might not be acurrate. They could be similar, but might be different in many aspects. It would not be fair to either camp.

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi DR & Paul,

Am I correct that RSS is more handsy versus the LSS?

TW advocates the use of big muscle to drive the ball powerfully ... What is your take on using big muscle?
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 12:37 am

Interested to know in what ways Hunter Mahan's swing differs from the right sided swing.

His take away seems wider, and has a full shoulder turn, but other than that my untrained eye cant see much difference.

The reason for asking is that if one were to rebuild/ remodel their swing, which of the two should they follow/ copy and why?

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Hunter Mahan has a very sound & cool swing. I wonder when he will be the next Major champion. Cool
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 9:36 pm

ak7776 wrote:
Hi Paul

Hi ak7776

Your kaki has been misinformed. The RSS is quite the contrary. We believe it reduces the likelihood of injury if performed correctly
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Turbo wrote:
Hi DR & Paul,

Am I correct that RSS is more handsy versus the LSS?

TW advocates the use of big muscle to drive the ball powerfully ... What is your take on using big muscle?

There is very little, if any hands in the RSS. Simply put, we move the arms which will coil the body into a turn. The wrist angles will remain very stationary. The speed of the club is generated by the correct body angles which allows the arms to move faster. This creates the leverage to create the power and compression.

Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 9:47 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Interested to know in what ways Hunter Mahan's swing differs from the right sided swing.

His take away seems wider, and has a full shoulder turn, but other than that my untrained eye cant see much difference.

The reason for asking is that if one were to rebuild/ remodel their swing, which of the two should they follow/ copy and why?

There is much to like about Hunters swing, particularly how he does not shift and over rotate.
The main difference is the wider takeaway as you have observed. This is due to the turning direction of his shoulders which would be more vertical than the RSS. This is what gives the look of his left leg buckling in slightly.
I still believe that his turn and also TW's is too vertical but that is just my opinion.

They are very similar and Hunter is a great striker of the ball.

The set up are also very similar and either of these would be great to copy.

The trend I am seeing now with modern coaching is much more towards the RSS and moving away from the big shift, wide takeaway and over turning. TW's knee problems are evidence of this not being the ideal way to swing

It seems to be going back to the old days were players like Hogan were dominating the game

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Hello Paul,

For RSS, one fires from the right side, am I correct? As for me, once I complete my turn, I would turn my left hip towards the ball. So does that means fire from the left or right? I heard alot of PRO always mention fire from the right side. I don't understand exactly what they meant by saying that.

Thanks!

Turbo

Last edited by Turbo on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Some new swings from Rod Pampling who is regaining some form on the PGA Tour this season. This is probably the best example of the RSS. This week on tour after 3 rounds he is is 80% of greens in reg and ranked 3rd . Having a bad week with the putter unfortunately
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
There is much to like about Hunters swing, particularly how he does not shift and over rotate.
The main difference is the wider takeaway as you have observed. This is due to the turning direction of his shoulders which would be more vertical than the RSS. This is what gives the look of his left leg buckling in slightly.
I still believe that his turn and also TW's is too vertical but that is just my opinion.

They are very similar and Hunter is a great striker of the ball.

The set up are also very similar and either of these would be great to copy.

The trend I am seeing now with modern coaching is much more towards the RSS and moving away from the big shift, wide takeaway and over turning. TW's knee problems are evidence of this not being the ideal way to swing

It seems to be going back to the old days were players like Hogan were dominating the game

Thank you for taking out the time to reply ...
I was finding it difficult making consistent ball first contact with my old swing (big shift) ... and experimented at the range with a more right sided swing ... immediately felt the difference ... and am making crisp ball contact with my irons!!! The driver however (in the few mins I have tried it) is resulting in high pushes/ push draws ... hopefully, some practice and getting used to this new swing will sort it out ... !!

Regarding the vertical shoulder turn , I'd love to get your thoughts on the below :

Sean Foley wrote:
The keys to protect your spine on the backswing are maintaining a bent right knee and turning your left shoulder downward (above, right). Many golfers try to rotate the shoulders level, but turning the left shoulder down lets the thoracic spine (mid-back) and not the lumbar spine (lower back) handle the twisting. The thoracic spine is designed to rotate, but the lumbar is not. If the right knee straightens on the backswing, the right side of the pelvis moves considerably higher than the left, tilting the bottom vertebrae to the left, which puts stress on them.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 1:28 pm

i was hitting irons with Cyp_PGA on the range few weeks ago (he was going for RSS lessons the next day). We tried to emulate the RSS positions/swing from the videos, and I did hit some flushed shots without a lot of effort....and that was just self-made-up RSS, not Paul-sanctioned moves Laughing
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 1:37 pm

pushslice wrote:
i was hitting irons with Cyp_PGA on the range few weeks ago (he was going for RSS lessons the next day). We tried to emulate the RSS positions/swing from the videos, and I did hit some flushed shots without a lot of effort....and that was just self-made-up RSS, not Paul-sanctioned moves Laughing

So are you taking the leap to RSS, or a variant thereof??
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Some good news for the RSS followers this morning

Gavin Coles tasted victory on the Nationwide Tour and securing his PGA Tour card for 2012. This is the 4th time Gavin has finished in the top 25 on the money list and made it to the main tour. It was his 5th career victory on the Nationwide Tour.
He managed to hold onto a 1 shot lead and claim the Winn-Dixie Jacksonville Open

Standing a little over 5 feet tall, Gavin who is a shorter hitter managed to rank 4th in driving accuracy, 39th in GIR and 1st in putting. The course was extremely difficult and only 6 under was the leading score

On the PGA Tour, Rodney Pampling managed to finish in the top 125 on the money list and secure his card for 2012. He was playing on a limited schedule this season and just scraped in at #124.

On the Senior Tour, Peter Senior has had an outstanding year with 3 second place finishes, 12 top 10's and is sitting 3rd on the Charls Schwab Cup points. He has come close to a win a few times. Prizemoney is at $1.4million so far this season

2012 will mean 2 RSS'ers on the PGA Tour, many on the European, Nationwide Australian and Asian Tours.

As for our local students, there have been many great results at the local and international level.

Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Here is some long lost footage from back in the days of VCR tapes.

It is the best example to date of the Right Sided Swing.

The footage is of Peter Lonard who at the time was a club pro and part time tour pro after suffering from Ross River fever. That year he won the Australian Masters and won the order of merit.

He later went on to win 11 other tournaments worldwide including the Heritage on the US PGA tour. He achieved a top 50 world ranking and was a Presidents Cup player in 2003.

Back to top Go down
Harold03
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 4:45 pm

What do you guys think of this? It's the swing taught by Gary Edwin and used by Paul Casey, I believe.

The distinguishing feature of this swing style seems to be that you keep your weight on your front foot throughout the swing, and hence, never have to shift it forward as much in your downswing.

Here's a quote from this thread that sums some of it up:

"I am begining to understand where your theories have come from now, and it is one of the main differences between left and right sided swing. You think by holding on he has held the clubface open, thus verticle shaft (although its not verticle) through after impact. This is because you are used to seing the club go ''down and out'' with the flapping of the wrists etc . With a big stupid high right side follow through.

With Lambs swing he has stayed on his left side. And not moved back. He now does not have to get forward, so from here he can just bring the club back to where he started, notice how much more on top of the ball he is compared to most players. He can just turn through it. See most players have to hang back, because they get back and clear then hang back and it gives them this look of club going away from the target. Head down, extended arms through follow through then really around high right side follow through.

None of these fixes, are needed in Lamb's swing. you see his follow through and it looks like he has collapsed it at the top. But he has just folded it up. He struck it with a square clubface, and kept it square then folded it up. He does not need to throw it out right, because it is not closing how most people are taught."

Seems like an interesting premise to me. I want to try that on the range tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
Yeoyc
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi coach
Just share with you that Jonathon (my son 13) just broke 50 for first time on Lake course. His short game improve thanks for your help. He made 2 up and downs and only 1 time 3 putts. Swing is getting more consistent.

I was following Pampling on US PGA this week. He did well in 8th place

YC
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfnut

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Harold03 wrote:
What do you guys think of this? It's the swing taught by Gary Edwin and used by Paul Casey, I believe.

The distinguishing feature of this swing style seems to be that you keep your weight on your front foot throughout the swing, and hence, never have to shift it forward as much in your downswing.

Hi , i don't think it's as easy as just keep your weight on your front foot. am on rss for 6 months. the set up, the turn, the shoulders, keeping your spine angle, and the follow thru are different from the traditional method. when i switch to this set up, i keep pulling my shots, sometimes worst, hook shots. after a few sessions, i see improvment and indeed better ball compression and consistancy. the problem lies with me as i tend to get tired easily and there's where i lost concentration and my shots are strayed. but i do love my driver shots now.. got to work more on speed. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is a Right Sided Swing??   What is a Right Sided Swing?? - Page 12 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is a Right Sided Swing??
Page 12 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next