Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing

Go down 
+3
Birdman
chip_munkie
flashpacker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing Empty
PostSubject: Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing   Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi,

Im having this problem of a slow swing speed whenever there's a ball.
But if it's a practice swing, the speed is fast.

Any advice on how to get the actual swing speed to similar to the practice swing?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
chip_munkie

PostSubject: Re: Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing   Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 12:08 am

For me it's the reverse.. I go easy on during practise swing n when there's ball is wham! Swing
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing   Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 12:32 am

One of the reasons this happens is because we are too concerned with how we strike the ball and where it goes. In other words, we are trying to steer the club through the ball consciously, rather than swing with unconscious abandon and trust in the swing.

Practice until you can confidently execute your actual swing like your practice swing.

It's a mental issue.

You will probably hear advice to just swing with your practice swing, but it's easier said than done. Those that can have already broken through the mental barrier.

That is a good place to start though. Swing a few practice swings as good as you can, then hit one ball trying to replicate the same feel without caring where and how far your ball goes.

Keep repeating the sequence (a few practice swings, hit one ball) until you can make solid contact with the same freewheeling abandon. Take note of your finish with the practice swing as well, try to have the same finish when hitting the ball. It's not uncommon to quit on the swing the moment we feel and hear the club impact the ball because we are anxious to look up and see where the ball goes. It's another reason why, apart from steering, the finish after ball impact is very different from that of a practice swing.

That should help you translate the speed and feel you want from practice swing to actual swing.
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing   Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:10 am

Read in one of the books by the late Harvey Penick that he helped his student overcome this by attaching a string with tape to the ball and got his student to swing at the ball. He would randomly and without notice, on the last minute, pull the ball away on the student's downswing and in time, the student learned to "ignore" hitting the ball and instead focused his mind on completing the swing regardless of whether the ball is there or otherwise. Wanna give it a try?
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing   Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:21 am

It's mental issue.

You can try closing your eyes and hit it. That's to say after you address your ball, close your eyes and just swing through. Or imagine the ball is not there and just swing through.

Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing   Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Gofnut wrote:
Read in one of the books by the late Harvey Penick that he helped his student overcome this by attaching a string with tape to the ball and got his student to swing at the ball. He would randomly and without notice, on the last minute, pull the ball away on the student's downswing and in time, the student learned to "ignore" hitting the ball and instead focused his mind on completing the swing regardless of whether the ball is there or otherwise. Wanna give it a try?
Gofnut I wanna try.

You pull my ball ok? Lol.

But seriously, I think this technique is worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing   Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 1:54 pm

This video helps me a lot. May it helped you too..

Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing   Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks all for the advice. Birdman, will try until i get the same free wheeling abandon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing   Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fast Practice Swing, Slow Actual Swing
Page 1 of 1