Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you know if you got the right coach??

Go down 
+19
mengteck71
simoner
hoppie
Duval_S
slinger
r510tp
mUAr_cHEe
Cyp_PGA
akhild
mowen
duffader
wilkang
eiji
asahi
DGman
TITW
sandkie
golfjoy
alvin7379
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

How do you know if you got the right coach?? Empty
PostSubject: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am

Had a range session with one of my early golfing buddies yesterday and he was commenting at how I should be looking for a coach instead of keep changing equipments... that I am using my arms not my shoulders blar blar blar... haizz.... indirectly telling me that I still sucks after so long... Crying or Very sad

I have never really engaged a proper coach since my PC days... and I was very skeptical after personally seeing tons of coaches at driving ranges whom are... pretty much as crappy as I am... or worst... tongue

I understand that a pro who can play well might not necessary be able to teach well and vice versa... but how does one really know if a particular coach is good at what he does?

I don't intend to do a full swing change but needed someone to help tweak my swing so it is more easily repeatable and stable...

Any personal experiences with coaches to share? (preferably from intermediate players) no offence to beginners but I feel that intermediate players who knows what they are doing appreciate a good teaching pro better...

or any comments from the pros in the forum?

Thanks....

from a broken hearted golfer....
No
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 am

I guess you'll not know?
Just like getting a wife/hubby ...

If you find someone (coach) which suits you, then, that's the 'right' one?

ok ok I am not a pro, don't bash me for replying!! *runs*

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Razz
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:38 am

Hi, Alvin

I did not have a coach for first 2 years of my golfing experience. Only last year I engaged a personal coach and here is my experience...
1. I was surprised that he did not tweak my swing...
2. I was surprised that he did not tweak my putting strokes...
Because I was expecting above when I decided to engage a coach

Instead,
1. I learned how to do pre-shot routine.
2. I learned how to do bunker shot because he saw me doing badly with it when we play together.
3. I learned a lot of short games drills and technique: chipping, pitching, putting.

I feel that it is important for us to find a coach whom we can really trust. I can imagine if I didn't trust my coach, I would not want to do what he wanted me to do because it was against my expectation. At the end of the day, both hands need to clap..

Back to top Go down
TITW
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TITW

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:43 am

Hi Alvin

From my experience (>10 yrs of golfing with countless coaches), believe me,it's not so simple. Everyone (golfer) u meet wil say that his/her coach is not bad.. afterall money has already being spent. U have to understand/buy-into the coaches philosophy and thinking of what is his most 'ideal' swing. It also depends on the coaches' personality and teaching methodology.. and how much u trust the coach. E

ach coach I went to, I did learn something from them; however, whether u buy-in and/or whether the swing model fits into your body type/height, current swing, it really dependson your trust in the coach as well as how the coach instructs you.

I was a difficult learner.. still am if u ask my current coach. Smile But wat made me stay on is that his method allows me to hit the ball straight repeatedly.. so that's the reason why I'm still with him.

There are many good coaches out there... but it's ultimately your choice as you are the paying customer and it's up to you to find yourself a coach that fits into your golfing needs.

Hope wat I shared made sense. Thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:44 am

sandkie wrote:
Hi, Alvin

I did not have a coach for first 2 years of my golfing experience. Only last year I engaged a personal coach and here is my experience...
1. I was surprised that he did not tweak my swing...
2. I was surprised that he did not tweak my putting strokes...
Because I was expecting above when I decided to engage a coach

Instead,
1. I learned how to do pre-shot routine.
2. I learned how to do bunker shot because he saw me doing badly with it when we play together.
3. I learned a lot of short games drills and technique: chipping, pitching, putting.

I feel that it is important for us to find a coach whom we can really trust. I can imagine if I didn't trust my coach, I would not want to do what he wanted me to do because it was against my expectation. At the end of the day, both hands need to clap..

sounds like your coach knows what he is doing. if anything, changes should not be an overhaul. i am sure your coach will make changes as you go along. the best coach will make changes that comes from your natural strengths and not your weaknesses.

i have seen top amateurs and pros who went from top of the game to total loss of confidence when they change everything overnight. i have spoke to a few of them and they fear the 90m to 130 m approach shots. you can imagine it creates havoc in their game. they can pretty much play even par but not lower.

Alvin, imagine if you have a good coach???

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Your royal longness, I like the way you are now (yr golf game lah!), pls try not to any tweaking before the Lo hei game hor. Very Happy
Do it after it yea.

Now, BM and myself were just talking bout this yesterday; seeing a coach to tune our swing and not overhaul.
Was thinking of Brett at NSRCC......
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 pm

My game went downhill before improving when i switched coach. Birdman saw me when i first changed coach.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks bro Sandkie & TITW for your comments...

As boss Eric so rightly pointed out... and precisely my point in finding out "a coach who knows what he is doing".

The last thing I want to do was to do trial and error with one coach after another... which probably will do more harm than good. I've seen some teaching pros who really look like they are doing nothing other than milking their students of their fees. Teaching them loads of crap which clearly... the students do not understand or are not capable of accomplishing. Totally not understanding the students' limitations and strength etc... and to top it off... the coach finish off with a demo swing that can send my grandmother crying...

White Flag

I believe I will be like bro TITW... a difficult learner to a coach. Not so much of slow in picking up the advise... but more like... I must be convince that what the coach teaches makes good sense before I commit into learning.

heh... I hope I can find one whom can convince me... soon... pale
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Do you have any objectives or goals in mind to achieve??
Rather than finding someone to convince you, share your goals with potential coaches and see what training details they can tailor for you inorder to achieve your objectives.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 1:57 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
Thanks bro Sandkie & TITW for your comments...

As boss Eric so rightly pointed out... and precisely my point in finding out "a coach who knows what he is doing".

The last thing I want to do was to do trial and error with one coach after another... which probably will do more harm than good. I've seen some teaching pros who really look like they are doing nothing other than milking their students of their fees. Teaching them loads of crap which clearly... the students do not understand or are not capable of accomplishing. Totally not understanding the students' limitations and strength etc... and to top it off... the coach finish off with a demo swing that can send my grandmother crying...

White Flag

I believe I will be like bro TITW... a difficult learner to a coach. Not so much of slow in picking up the advise... but more like... I must be convince that what the coach teaches makes good sense before I commit into learning.

heh... I hope I can find one whom can convince me... soon... pale

Alvin aka my enemy for the 15th, I was once like you. But i was lucky enough to have the luxury of several coaches giving me tips. However, that did not improve as i was having too many swing thoughts in my head. But after sometime with Justin, it really helped my game. Simple drills, simple layman terms, lots of practise and wah lah, I am what i am today. From my months of golfing, there are a few i can reccomend.

1) Tendy: He have given me alot of tips and thoughts when i hang out in the den. ANd it had really helped in my distance.
2) Justin (Jhan in forum): My lessons with him helped with my consistency of my irons and my confidence in the shortgame (Cap has also helped in this area.) Only flaw of this coach is he is hardly in singapore. U can check with PS in this. Smile
3) RSS (Paul Tudor): Although i have never gone under the hands of him, i can see the game of his students (Marc and Edgar) Really surprise me and also he dedication to his students. Our very own Ms Lee is also currently under him. And recently, his game have really improved. (He beat your Mind F champion shifu in kranji)

I have also heard good reviews of SH.

But you msut always remember, having coaches and hours and hours on the range is only a small part in improving in the game, you still need alot of green time so to summarise... FASTER GO BUY NSRCC MEMBERSHIP lah! hehehhee
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:13 pm

wilkang wrote:
Do you have any objectives or goals in mind to achieve??
Rather than finding someone to convince you, share your goals with potential coaches and see what training details they can tailor for you inorder to achieve your objectives.

Good suggestion!

Let's see, my goals in 2011 would be...

Fairway Hits:
Current: 60%
Target: 70-80%

GIR:
Current: 20%
Target: 70%

Putts per Game:
Current: 35-40
Target: 30

Sand Saves:
Current: 50-70%
Target: 100%

Duff Shots during Chipping & Pitching (Below 100m):
Current: 40%
Target: 0%

Average Pars/ better per game:
Current: 6-8
Target: 12-14

Average Even PAR in Par 3s:
Current: 25%
Target: 75%

Average Even PAR in Par 4s:
Current: 30%
Target: 60%

Average Even PAR in Par 5s:
Current: 25-50%
Target: 100%

Average Score:
Current: 90-95
Target: Break below 80

Am I asking for too much... Laughing

Last edited by alvin7379 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:15 pm

U mean my partner is not a member of NSRCC yet .. ?? how come he was at NSRCC Safra on Sunday .... ??? Green Fee expensive leh ... now i know my Partner so loaded one ....

Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:17 pm

alvin7379 wrote:

Am I asking for too much... Laughing

how much are you willing to give(in terms of practice time and dedication)
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:18 pm

mowen wrote:
U mean my partner is not a member of NSRCC yet .. ?? how come he was at NSRCC Safra on Sunday .... ??? Green Fee expensive leh ... now i know my Partner so loaded one ....

Stretcher
全都是为了你。。。

I kept dreaming that I must not let my partner down... or else... no XMM for me for the whole of 2011!!!!......

Thinking of it now... I beginning to get worried again... Laughing
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:26 pm

your stats sibeh kelong... Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:36 pm

He's fishing for more macallans and massage lah.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:37 pm

actually, i spotted a mistake which is the cause of why his shots keep going left.... but i will only tell him after the 15th.... Smile
Back to top Go down
akhild
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
akhild

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:41 pm

shortlist 3-5 coaches based on GR kaki recommendations. ask them all for a 20 minute trial lesson. See who picks up the most 'correct' faults in your swing.. go with ur gutt..

and ya, persist with the coach. keep chaning pros will only lead to muscle confusion..
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 3:53 pm

I will say right side coaches is great as we got them in australia and are part of the coaches we get. The coach that have video analysis are the best . You can see all the good thing and bad thing you do . But you need to practice!!!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 3:58 pm

duffader wrote:
actually, i spotted a mistake which is the cause of why his shots keep going left.... but i will only tell him after the 15th.... Smile

Psst psst, tell me leh. Promise I won't tell him before 15th.
Beer
Back to top Go down
akhild
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
akhild

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Cyp_PGA wrote:
I will say right side coaches is great as we got them in australia and are part of the coaches we get. The coach that have video analysis are the best . You can see all the good thing and bad thing you do . But you need to practice!!!

bro, the video part i dont necessarily agree..
some coaches can make you realize your problems without video also.. and video analysis doesnt make you a good coach also..

the best coach will first transform you from unknowingly crappy to knowingly crappy (realize your mistake). for me this was the most important phase as i learnt to leave behind my useless habits picked up from other sports..
then is the transition from knowingly crappy to knowingly good Smile

i was with greg park..
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Yeah it's great for good player , but too become great player where the swing is already there ... which the error is so little you see with a slow motion swing .

Greg Park is a great coach . he bring me to a certain level...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 4:29 pm

akhild wrote:
i was with greg park..

ah... u have been lurking around... naughty boy....
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 4:33 pm

Where to find Greg Park ah?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 4:35 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
Where to find Greg Park ah?

where the horses are...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if you got the right coach??   How do you know if you got the right coach?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you know if you got the right coach??
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next