Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

lets talk Spin

Go down 
+26
Winston
darenlim
tronos
nientsu
Titleist
JetA1
St. MIG
sunny
sandkie
Ssquirrel
weesern
S70B
slinger
pushslice
ChrisD
Derek
duffader
eiji
mowen
watermyforrest
Duval_S
alvin7379
daveaha
golf_snowman
mUAr_cHEe
DGman
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

lets talk Spin - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:19 pm

ChrisD wrote:
mowen wrote:
and does it mean muah chee 3 wood has lesser spin then my driver cause he always outdrive me at keppel with his 3 wood .....

most people will outdrive you with 3 wood.
I can outdrive you with a hybrid so that's not a surprise at all.

walau, mowen, no respect...... for keppel div A champion
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:30 pm

slinger wrote:
ChrisD wrote:
mowen wrote:
and does it mean muah chee 3 wood has lesser spin then my driver cause he always outdrive me at keppel with his 3 wood .....

most people will outdrive you with 3 wood.
I can outdrive you with a hybrid so that's not a surprise at all.

walau, mowen, no respect...... for keppel div A champion

walau ... that one long time ago 2009 .... now 2010 already ....

Better don't off topic here ... we talking about Spin .... Smile
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:38 pm

okok, anyway my chip on the 17th hole got no spin leh..... so how now?

think i go test my spin rate this pm for my driver.....think mine abt 3000-3500rpm with our current combo

no time to test once i got the head, quickly fix n go....

like MC, longer i stay, more kenna F....
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:43 pm

Spin can both be a friend or a foe. Too much or too little will both affect your potential and overall distance.

It works hand-in-hand with Launch Angle. Having lower spin but not getting a good enuff trajectory or launch angle does nothing to help your drives.

Most amateurs generate excessive spin because:

- Their swing and club path are not square at impact
- They hit down on their drives
- Their shafts are not suited for them (Torques in excess of 5.0 and soft flexes)

There is no 1 optimal spin rate for everyone. Bubba Watson has been clocked at 1900rpm with ~10* LA during a broadcast of 1 of the PGA tour events before with a 124mph SS which resulted in a 327yd drive. That works for him. If you get the same spin rate and LA with a <100mph SS, you are probably not getting the most out of your drives though.

Best thing is to go thru a proper computer fitting system like the Trackman. You will find out alot more about your own swing and what works for you. I was also amazed to find out that I should be using a 10.5* driver on a 63X Blueboard with a 105mph SS.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:58 pm

so in that case, am i right to say the important factor to determine suitable spin rate, LA, shaft flex is still the SS...

which mean, using SS as a reference, find out what is the ideal spin rate and LA and base on ideal spin rate and LA to determine shaft flex and driver head...am i right to say that ?

snowman
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:58 pm

slinger wrote:
like MC, longer i stay, more kenna F....

ha nor... brudder in arms...
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:03 pm

P.G. Tait a physicist comments on golf ball and spin...its a very technical read and for those that aren't inclined to books like TGM by homer kelly, please stay away from this, u will give up reading by the 2nd or 3rd paragraph.

http://www.nature.com/physics/looking-back/tait/index.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:13 pm

Wah lao... If S70B is using 63X, I should be using 50R... Eric got any "bargain" 50R to try?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Dude,

I'm not a big hitter.

Max 260-270yds avg. There are tons of ppl that outdrive me here and the most impt thing is I can live with that.

Just to add on to some layman terms for spin:

For slower clubhead speeds, they benefit from higher spin rates by keeping the golf ball in the air longer which is why you might wanna find out your ideal LA, be it 12, 14 or 16 deg.

Also, if you think you are hitting too high and should go to a lower deg driver, here's a thought: its more prone to side spin.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:33 pm

dude, me waiting for your WB 63X...... coming back or not??
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm coming back in Sept dude. If you need it urgent I send it back for you la.

Its 73X btw.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:37 pm

sept then, just checking mah....73X even better
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:41 pm

S70B wrote:
Dude,

I'm not a big hitter.

Max 260-270yds avg. There are tons of ppl that outdrive me here and the most impt thing is I can live with that.

Just to add on to some layman terms for spin:

For slower clubhead speeds, they benefit from higher spin rates by keeping the golf ball in the air longer which is why you might wanna find out your ideal LA, be it 12, 14 or 16 deg.

Also, if you think you are hitting too high and should go to a lower deg driver, here's a thought: its more prone to side spin.

bro

i wonder is there a chart on SS vs LA ?

then we can base on the SS to determine the optimum LA thru trackman
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:46 pm

there are other factors as well... angle of attack?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:51 pm

Have fun reading thru Trackman's Jan newsletter.

http://trackman.dk/getmedia/e388effb-0686-425b-9824-650d2e123c6e/January-2010.aspx

There are previous issues which are filled w info.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:55 pm

S70B wrote:
Have fun reading thru Trackman's Jan newsletter.

http://trackman.dk/getmedia/e388effb-0686-425b-9824-650d2e123c6e/January-2010.aspx

There are previous issues which are filled w info.
Wah.... very few ppl I know read trackman's newsletters.. cheem.. hahhaha albino
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Wah.... very few ppl I know read trackman's newsletters.. cheem.. hahhaha albino

Thanks to you dude.

Going for my fitting session tmr at Callaway. My 3rd since Aug.

Will report back on results and new knowledge...if any. Wink
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Eric, so when will BFG do a Trackman Combine? Can we open sign up list already?

bro s70b, how are you liking your new x-proto? Regrets or Ecstatic?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:44 pm

theres a lot of questions and some really good answers in the postings..

any more??? keep it flowing.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 10:27 pm

I want to talk about spin but don't even know my spin rate...

Does it relate to driver only? Do people care about their iron spin rate?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 10:41 pm

not an expert but since everyone is joining in the fun...might as well.... totally my interpretation and could be wrong

my personal take is that you want to maximise your distance. If your ball goes too high up, it would just drop dead and have no roll and thus do not get the best potential.

If your ball is too low, it may have a lot of roll but unfortunately you will lose carry distance and may end up at places you do not wish(eg water).

The spin is what that cause the ball to stay floating in the air...too much and it balloons up and too little, it just doesn't float and drops.

I guess instead of looking at spin rate, you want to look at optimum height that your ball would reach so that you have good carry and roll. Thus, if your launch angle is higher, you will want lesser spin so that it would not balloon up and still be kept at a good height. Likewise, if you always launch the ball low, you will want slightly more spin to keep the ball airborne to reach the optimum height.

Thus, there isn't really an ideal spin rate so to speak. A lot of combination like how you swing, ball speed, launch angle etc would determine how much spin to get the ball to an optimum height where you have the most overall distance with good amount of carry.

Thus if you are swinging consistently, you can use equipments like trackman etc to see if you are able to get better figures with higher spin or lesser spin. Using the famous and often misused "ceteris paribus" phrase, you can choose a higher spin or lower spin ball to optimise your game. If you keep your ball constant, you could also play with the launch angle/spins using different kick shafts/lofts etc etc to modify the spin rate/launch angle to get the optimum ball flight.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 10:50 pm

Hmm...

For users, carry + roll = distance. We are looking for distance. Hence, we don't usually care/understand about spin rate.

For club fitter, spin rate could be important factor to get suitable club for us to get best distance... It is something deeper...

Maybe I should just leave all this spin issue to club fitter, then?
Back to top Go down
St. MIG
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
St. MIG

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:31 pm

For every ball speed, there is an optimum launch angle and backspin rate that provides maximum distance potential. Launch angle and backspin are determined by your angle of attack and the clubhead’s launch characteristics.
http://www.titleist.com/909_driver_guide/#

This is my take, when the ball is launch backspin occurs. During backspin, the ball's dimples would trap air pushing the ball forward. Thus, the higher the spin rate, the further the ball would carry. Swing Taylormade
Back to top Go down
http://www.miguellim.weebly.com
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 12:52 am

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned about the golf ball yet (or I might have missed it out).
EDIT: Sunny did mention it.

Read this full article from GD about golf balls.

Golf Digest Golf Ball Hot List 2010

If you want to do a fitting, it will be most accurate to hit balls u normally use in play. No point hitting the cheap stuff then goin to the course and finding out ur rpms increase quite abit in real life...or vice versa.

The fittings I go to ask me before hand what ball I normally play before I start wacking into the net. There is still a diff, no matter how small, between Pro V1 or V1X.

Also, there is a para in the article on why you should avoid the cheap stuff and play with those softer higher spinning ones which cost slightly more.

Last edited by S70B on Tue May 25, 2010 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JetA1
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
JetA1

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 1:15 am

My take:
DGman wrote:

now i would like to hear what the golfers out there interpret spin rates and their relevance in your tee shots.
Spin rate when view by itself is an inadequate piece of information. Swing speed and Launch angle are equally important and cannot be left out when discussing spin rate. All 3 are co-related to help the golfer to achieve optimum trajectory thus maximum carry. Excessive spin will induce more drag/friction thus less carry. Insufficient spin and the ball can't carry in the air. The vital point here is to find a balance point btw these 3 variables.

DGman wrote:

tell us what spin rate do you think you want to achieve and hopefully we can help you find a solution - whether its the swing, the driver head or the shaft that will help you achieve that.
for my swing speed of btw 90-95, i hope to achieve a spin rate of around 2600-3000 with a launch angle of 14*. My driver is a R9 10.5* with graman 5. I had not been trackmanned to confirm my launch ideals though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lets talk Spin
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next