Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

lets talk Spin

Go down 
+26
Winston
darenlim
tronos
nientsu
Titleist
JetA1
St. MIG
sunny
sandkie
Ssquirrel
weesern
S70B
slinger
pushslice
ChrisD
Derek
duffader
eiji
mowen
watermyforrest
Duval_S
alvin7379
daveaha
golf_snowman
mUAr_cHEe
DGman
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:11 am

Everytime someone get fitted for a driver, the big question they ask me is always about distance and spin rate.

now i would like to hear what the golfers out there interpret spin rates and their relevance in your tee shots.

tell us what spin rate do you think you want to achieve and hopefully we can help you find a solution - whether its the swing, the driver head or the shaft that will help you achieve that. i am sure we will all like to hear your views.

there is no right or wrong but we hope to be able to point out where to search for the perfect driver.

we have lots of working examples of players of different levels and that database will come in useful to give you some sort of an idea when it comes to helping golfers achieve a straighter and eventually longer drive.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:12 am

i want to hit 100% straight despite of my fooked-up swing. got any shaft or spin rate prescription for that?

don't ask me to play marbles...
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:14 am

buy a swing robot MC.....
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:16 am

keke...i dnt really know my spin rate...only know whenever i hit with my driver, my head spin.."headache...ball dnt go straight !!"...

can i drop by to check my driver spin rate ?

snowman
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:22 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
i want to hit 100% straight despite of my fooked-up swing. got any shaft or spin rate prescription for that?

don't ask me to play marbles...

Probably if you play marble also you will still hit far, but slicing or hooking Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:24 am

lets get serious leh...it will help golfers understand where to find the perfect driver.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:31 am

ok ok..serious ..

please help me find my perfect driver ...what should i do ?

check spin rate first ?...my driver ar, not my head ar...
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:38 am

My take for this is... generally social golfers like us may not be able to appreciate the effects of spin during our drives, because 10 out of 10 drives most likely end up with different results/ shots.

In my opinion, hitting more fairways is not = consistent shot making. It is the ability to achieve a consistent trajectory, height and distant that will determine if I am a consistent shot maker.

Getting fitted for drivers for me, is more for getting a clubs that I can swing comfortably with (with the tolerance to go for the occasional 110%). I must admit that I am unaware of my ball's spin rate despite having my driver fitted, but that does not mean that it'll affects anything.

You can only do so much with the equipment to help you with the game (or for this matter, spin)... most important is still having the right swing & ball striking technique to make the consistent shots.
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:45 am

Becos of my std of play , I am not qualified to be concern about spin rate etc etc....the only 2 things I personally care about is my carry distance and a rough rough gauge of the roll.....

Maybe when I get better ...then I shold
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:51 am

I will be monitoring this thread ... Closely
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:53 am

Quote :
watermyforrest wrote:
I will be monitoring this thread ... Closely

why leh? u having a spining problem
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:56 am

Who doesn't Razz
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 10:06 am

My current driver i am using seem to carry the distance lesser but have lots of roll... so i guess my driver spin rate would be low .. thus the roll...

can a shaft change increase my carry and still maintain the roll i getting .
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 10:56 am

I am not sure what's the optimum spin rate for our region, still a newbie golfer starting out, but technicality intrigues me, in the US, with their course upkeep, grounds management, humidity, level above sea level, etc etc, their optimum spin rate is between 2600-3200 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 2600-3200 end_of_the_skype_highlighting for most players if i am not wrong, but what would be the optimum spin rate here, with the different atmospheric conditions, and the reduce amount of roll we get, i am guessing a higher spin rate to maximise carry would result in longer yardage off the tee than if we were to get the same spin rate vis-a-vis the golfers in US.

those are my own thoughts and theories...
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:37 am

I am not too sure but adjustting the ball height on the tee does help me with lowering the ball flight. Not sure if it lowers the spin rate.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:37 am

Hi Eric,

If you want both good carry and a decent roll, does that equate to a relatively high launch angle (e.g. catching on the upswing) and low spin rate?

I'm a bit confused about the whole spin rate thing.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:46 am

Derek wrote:
Hi Eric,

If you want both good carry and a decent roll, does that equate to a relatively high launch angle (e.g. catching on the upswing) and low spin rate?

I'm a bit confused about the whole spin rate thing.

Thanks!

bro, feel your head spinning already ?...haha !!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:51 am

keep it coming...lots of different interpretation is good for discussion..
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:02 pm

wah. stim.
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:14 pm

and does it mean muah chee 3 wood has lesser spin then my driver cause he always outdrive me at keppel with his 3 wood .....
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:30 pm

mowen wrote:
and does it mean muah chee 3 wood has lesser spin then my driver cause he always outdrive me at keppel with his 3 wood .....

most people will outdrive you with 3 wood.
I can outdrive you with a hybrid so that's not a surprise at all.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:47 pm

here's what I know :
- Using my old Ping G10 10.5 deg/TFC stiff, Eric's trackman showed my spin rates at 4400, launch angle 18 deg, and club speed 92mph. Result: 180m carry, 190-200m total.
- Then I demoed 909D2 9.5/Voodo stiff for two rounds. Significantly lower launch, more roll, less slicing (same swing btw), less OB/Hazard to the right. Asked Jsmooth why. He said the d2 had produced lower spin (back and side) bcoz of its head design and the shaft's lower torque. (TFC close to 4, Titty Voodo close to 3)
- Curious, I tested D2 at GH Marina. Ping Nflight showed I had 3500 spin and 15.x deg launch. 200m carry, 230m total. Shots still sliced/faded but dispersed less.

so maybe a low spin combo is what I need while I'm sorting out my swing. My SS is not high so all im asking my driver is to help me keep ball in play Very Happy

as to the tech speak: how a different head or shaft design or torque actually influence spin. I leave it to the experts and manufacturers. Head spinning already.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:56 pm

I have another question: how about the ball we use?

for a slicer or hooker: will using a ProV or B330 (high spin ball on short game) vs using a Noodle+ (low spin on short game) influence the spin rates on driver shots?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:16 pm

pushslice... definately leh!

I get more FW hits using the Dunlop DDH balls... but putting is a pain in the butt later...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:17 pm

ChrisD wrote:
mowen wrote:

most people will outdrive you with 3 wood.
I can outdrive you with a hybrid so that's not a surprise at all.

not true lah.

but screw driving... if only i can arrive as good as mowen... i will do anything.... erm... almost anything... erm... ok ok ok... just some things....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

lets talk Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets talk Spin   lets talk Spin I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lets talk Spin
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next