Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putting - Let's talk spin

Go down 
+10
freedrop
Turbo
Derek
Branong
chip_munkie
kamen
Daztasiumz
S70B
sob
asahi
14 posters
AuthorMessage
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Putting - Let's talk spin Empty
PostSubject: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 9:47 am

Good to vary between back spin or top spin for short putts and long putts respectively?

Or one just stick to one and go for it for all putts?

Or do you even know what spin you impart to your putts?
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 11:09 am

Prefer forward roll to back spin, helps keep my ball speed constant.
Also ball leaves face on truer on track, I feel.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Spin ki lan la. Putting is about rolling the ball.

Why dun u putt w ur MD2 wedge if u want spin.
Back to top Go down
Daztasiumz
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 4:33 pm

asahi wrote:
Good to vary between back spin or top spin for short putts and long putts respectively?

After yr birdie eagle putts then u spin ard to celebrate?
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 9:06 am

I sometimes put side-spin on the ball to negate breaks. Arrow
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
chip_munkie

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 9:58 am

is it when u putt toe / heel bias with the putter?  when I put with the heel with a bit of cut I feel like I'm getting some side spins.. which oftens affects or negates the breaks abit. I putt with the centre of it and it jus roll on, which is more conventional n more to what u read on green
Back to top Go down
Branong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Putting is about rolling Leh. Why spin?

Haha it's already tough doing a proper roll putt, can't imagine doing a spin putt!
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi Branong ... in perspective, all the forumers who post above are decent golfers ... but S70B is several levels higher up than most of us ... although I have never had the chance to play with him, I understand he does not really focus on the game nowadays and thus plays to a boring (to him) single handicap level ... where previously he was aiming to be a consistent "scratch" player

For me, even Spin or Roll or Hop I can't control, just point the putter face square to the target line, hit the ball and hope ... and sometimes i get lucky
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Yes, Derek ... I agree with ya ... Social golfers with double digit handicap like us should not be too technical ... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Branong wrote:
Putting is about rolling Leh. Why spin?

Haha it's already tough doing a proper roll putt, can't imagine doing a spin putt!
In Physics, top spin=forward roll. When you impart a top spin to a ball, it rolls forward. If a ball "moves" forward without a spin, it's called skidding, in the language of science.

So when our friend asks about whether we should do top spin or back spin in putting, he simply means that. When you take your putter back, it leaves the ground slightly. In down swing of the putter head, you can either hit the ball before it reaches the lowest point, giving a very slight back spin to the ball, or you can hit the ball on its way up, giving a slight top spin to the ball.

Putting generally requires top spin, or forward roll, by hitting the ball with the putter face very slightly on the way up. 

I can't think of a situation of a back spin putt, may be when it is very steep downhill putt? 

When you hit a ball (on the green) with a back spin (by downward impact of your putter face into the ball), the ball will initially hop forward a few times, then skid a very short distance when the back spin is neutralised by frictional force of the grass, and finally it will still roll forward when grass friction is overcome by remaining energy of forward motion of the ball, and a top spin results, giving forward roll to the ball. It sounds complicated, but a slow motion video will show what I mean. Obviously because of the hopping and skidding, distance control becomes unpredictable.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Here you go, I found a slow motion video of putting showing different spins and how the ball moves : 

http://www.scienceandmotion.com/minicms/zeigseite.php?filename=sam_highspeed_video&navid=109&lang=en&node=11:109
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:11 pm

Apart from distance control issues, hopping and skidding could very likely throw the ball off its line. And a ball off its intended line will never find the hole.

Tiger Woods was once asked how he rolls the ball so well, and apparently he puts a little draw spin in his putts for increased forward roll. The ball also tracks better he said.

Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 9:06 am

I Hv always tot the putting is about forward spin too. A mishit will cause other spins. And the selling point of brands selling putter is to eliminate the 'hops'.
Back to top Go down
Branong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 5:44 pm

Me too. I thought that its supposed to be forward spin aka roll.

Wondering is there any range that allows practice of putting? Or any coaches that can teach this?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 pm

asahi wrote:

Quite cheem for me. For me, one single stroke is sufficient. Straight back and forth.

7' to hole = 7" back swing.
10' to hole = 10" back swing

Of course this is only a general guide and apply to short distance and flat or near flat surfaces.

For longer distance, it depends on whether it's uphill or downhill or sidehill or combination of both, it would have to depend on strength of each individual golfer. Some have shorter backswing but quicker follow through. Some have longer backswing and slower follow through.

At the end of it, it's feel. And each individual putter have different feel. It's a very complicated shot for each individual as each has his/her own swing and strength.

Last edited by TDO on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Branong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks bro. I hear you.

I'm just not on the same level playing field so just like you. Hope to hit straight and ever learning on strength control.

Lastly, it's learning to keep my head fixed and not turning too early!!

Derek wrote:
Hi Branong ... in perspective, all the forumers who post above are decent golfers ... but S70B is several levels higher up than most of us ... although I have never had the chance to play with him, I understand he does not really focus on the game nowadays and thus plays to a boring (to him) single handicap level ... where previously he was aiming to be a consistent "scratch" player

For me, even Spin or Roll or Hop I can't control, just point the putter face square to the target line, hit the ball and hope ... and sometimes i get lucky
Back to top Go down
18underPar
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
18underPar

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 2:49 am

saw this thread and reminded me of a video i saw before:

Back to top Go down
http://www.EighteenUnderPar.com
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 8:23 am

Spinning the putt is like bowling. There's so many way to get to the pocket. From the left, from the right or from the centre. Each bowler has his own strength in throwing the ball. Some throw the ball softly and still get a strike if executed correctly. Some throw the ball with bull strength with the intention of letting the pins fly around each other to get a strike.

There's just so many ways to execute a shot. At the end of it, if you want to execute a certain stroke you have to practice to master it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Let's talk spin   Putting - Let's talk spin I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putting - Let's talk spin
Page 1 of 1