Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips

Go down 
+31
veronljf
gino
s-killer
blee67
jason.koh.54966
haragolfer
willie24
timang84
burnergolfer
robert33
diveheck
kamen
Flash
imrog
bryanachong
enwee
Neverendless
DGman
schnell
garylin
Virtualsaturn
Gofnut
slinger
mengteck71
4dtoto
hkhamateur
bogeyman72
weaponx
Turbo
pocketace
Technospaz
35 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips Empty
PostSubject: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks to BFG, I recently got the Pure Grip DTX prototype grips installed on my driver and wedge. I took them out to play over the weekend and wanted to provide my review of how the grips performed.

Firstly, some background. I'm a very average golfer. Playing in the mid-high 90s (and the occasional, though somewhat more recurrent, 100+). The grips were fitted on my driver and wedge, the specs of which are below:

1. Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 on Project X Stiff shaft
2. Wedge - BFG Wedge 51* on KBS Hi-Rev shaft

Played a round at the Johor Country Club, after a wet evening the day before.

No. of shots taken for each club:

1. Driver - 15 shots (I OB'd one so had to rehit)
2. Wedge - 4 shots

(These shots do not include practice swings, of which there were many)

Current preferred grip: Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound grips.

My review:

Looks - 8.5/10
The grips do look nice. Their colors are bright and strong, and they stand out very nicely. Some may find the colors a bit garish or loud but if you want to be noticed, these are the grips for you. If you also have a loud character, then these work nicely. The variety of colors is also very impressive. You'll see from DGman's thread that the colors are plentiful so you won't be spoilt for choice.

Again, if you prefer something more subtle, then either opt for a quieter color or play different grips. I sense that Pure Grips is looking to give you clubs which become topics of discussion so they won't suit players who'd prefer something more bland or unassuming.

Feel - 9/10
The one thing which caught my eye (and I'm sure others too) almost immediately are the "threads" of the grip. Unlike the more conventional grips (e.g. Lamkin), these ones stand out. There's certainly texture which you feel almost immediately once you hold the club. The grips provide sufficient traction bordering on being a bit abrasive. I was worried that my palm would be bruised after the game but it wasn't. Surprisingly, it isn't as coarse and really felt quite comfortable. And, for those who know me, I do grip the club quite firmly so this was a nice outcome.

Traction - 8/10
Following from my comments on its feel above, I wanted to focus a bit on traction. The grips do give quite a lot of feedback and I didn't feel that the club was about to come loose in my hands. I was able to feel the texture of the grip quite well and it gave me the confidence to loosen my grip a little and swing. (I have that nasty fear that if I grip too loosely, the club will fly from my hands and kill someone.) With this grip, I was quite happy to relax a little and let it rip.

That said, I had 2 concerns:

1. Moisture
I realized that the grip seemed to be a little damp. Let me first say that I don't have sweaty palms but it was a wetter morning which may have resulted in the grips retaining a bit of moisture. I'm not sure if the crevices of the texture and the way the grips are designed may have inadvertently trapped some moisture and if so, then do be mindful. The moisture isn't so much that it puts me off but it's just something I noticed. It didn't affect my game but obviously, if it's a rainy day, you'd want to dry off the grip before taking a shot (but then again, you'd do the same for any other grip).

2. Lasting power
I'm not sure how long the texture on the grips will hold up. I have no reason to believe that the material is of low quality (and there's no evidence to suggest that either). But my fear is that when grips have that sort of texture, they may soften or dull after some time. Perhaps this is best assessed after many more rounds.

Tackiness - 9/10
Let me be clear that the score here is not how tacky the grip is but rather how I found its level of tackiness for myself. I liked it. I dislike grips which are overly tacky such that it feels like you're holding on to a club which had stickers which could not be totally removed. At the other end, I also dislike grips which aren't tacky enough where the grip feels too smooth. I found these grips to be pretty good. They were sufficiently tacky but not excessively tacky. I'm not sure if the moisture issue will repeat itself but if it does, this may affect the tackiness performance of the grip, albeit marginally.

Value for Money - ??/10
Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide any comment here as the grips were provided/installed FOC as part of the demo. My honest opinion is that they should cost about the same as (or perhaps slightly more than) the Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound grips. In a market which is dominated by Golf Pride & Lamkin, I'd recommend that Pure dips their price a little to build itself a name and I'm sure it'll do well once you give these grips a try.

Overall Performance - 9/10
I guess you can say that I'm very happy with this grip. I had some reservations with the texture and admittedly, it's not for everyone. However, it does inspire confidence perhaps because of the loud color and its texture so it does allow the golfer to just blast the shot (but don't blame the grip if you put it past the OB markers - I didn't). It's also deceptively abrasive as I mentioned. Funnily, I didn't find it as abrasive as the Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound grips which I'm more used to but it did give the same (or more) amount of traction.

Would I change my grips to these Pure Grip DTX prototypes? Perhaps. I wouldn't rush out to do so as my Golf Prides are doing OK (though I may swap out the Lamkins on my irons). It also depends on what BFG offers me in terms of pricing Smile

Photos

On the driver
Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips 8734762822_8b8dfd404e_m Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips 8733645399_9710ff2e44_m Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips 8733645327_850a097d89_m Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips 8734762278_84e1a4bcc3_m Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips 8733645367_1049379550_m

On the wedge
Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips 8734762406_245270cb49_m Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips 8734762138_8a9deb3a62_m Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips 8733645095_5088531a9b_m Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips 8733645155_f3de9cd450_m Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips 8734762098_a54133f2cf_m

Let me say that these comments are mine and based on my own game. Your reaction to the grips may differ and likely, how they respond to your game may also be different. Feel free to let me know what you think.

Lastly, my thanks (again) to DGman and BFG for allowing me to demo the grips. Keep these promos going!

TS

Last edited by Technospaz on Tue May 14, 2013 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 3:47 pm

I've had the opportunity to play with the driver and wedge more using the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips. I can confirm that the grips seem to retain some form of moisture making them feel a little damp. This is quite odd and not necessarily ideal.

It doesn't detract from the tackiness which remains regardless of the damp sensation. But psychologically, it feels as if the grip is wet and I end up gripping it tighter than I should for fear that the club may slip.

Other than that, the grip performs well. I'm not sure if it's for me but it's shown me that Pure grips are good. I've always played either Golf Pride or Lamkin grips but will certainly give Pure a good look the next time I change my grips.

Last edited by Technospaz on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Wow you kinda 'spoil' the market for the rest of the testers already
Luckily i never sign up. Cos you raised the bar so high White Flag
Hee Hee Hee

Great review! Dgman better call you to test ALL prototype grips going forward!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 4:11 pm

The threads look like a performance car tyre with good traction & road holding ability ... Perhaps one does not need to wear glove if this grip is used.
Back to top Go down
weaponx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Excellent review! 2 thumbs up! +1 LIKE
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 5:57 pm

DITTO! my english not so good, how to put up same standard of review..... sigh

Embarassed

pocketace wrote:
Hee Hee Hee

Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 6:21 pm

bogeyman72 wrote:
DITTO! my english not so good, how to put up same standard of review..... sigh

Embarassed

pocketace wrote:
Hee Hee Hee

Hahaha.... Razz Razz
The pressure is on n lets folllow Gracia, blamed on Technospaz lor! Laughing
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Wow! Thought I was in the wrong forum. This review format look very familiar...machiam from some other forums...mmmmmm
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 6:42 pm

i have it installed on the Driver. I agree mostly with what Technospaz has written with regards to feel, tackiness. I would give all categories 9/10 except on the Looks and Value for money.

I must admit I dun like the look, unless some colour that i like comes along. As for value for money, i could not give any marks as I wont know how long it will last and how much it cost.

Overall is that i will change full set if there is a colour I like. Razz
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:42 pm

mengteck71 wrote:

as my buddy used to say...

"try once, regret one time.... no try, regret forever!!"

GO CHANGE!!!

lol!
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 9:29 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
i have it installed on the Driver. I agree mostly with what Technospaz has written with regards to feel, tackiness. I would give all categories 9/10 except on the Looks and Value for money.

I must admit I dun like the look, unless some colour that i like comes along. As for value for money, i could not give any marks as I wont know how long it will last and how much it cost.

Overall is that i will change full set if there is a colour I like
. Razz

Ini kalilah .......UBAH! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Virtualsaturn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm looking for grips, what's the promo on Pure ?
Back to top Go down
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 10:24 pm

hi bro TS, any comments on this grip vs the Golf pride multicompound? I actually like the dryness from the GP multicompound compound alot and wonder whether these grips have the same dry feel?
Back to top Go down
schnell
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
schnell

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Looking forward to getting them installed on my clubs..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 11:11 pm

garylin wrote:
hi bro TS, any comments on this grip vs the Golf pride multicompound? I actually like the dryness from the GP multicompound compound alot and wonder whether these grips have the same dry feel?

As I mentioned, there was some moisture with the Pure grips. I'm not sure if it's designed that way to retain some moisture. The GP Multicompound grips are dry - never had an issue with moisture. But, with the Pure grips, I noticed that it was a wee bit damp.

I should also add that it may have been my caddy who was diligently wiping the grips each time he passed me the driver. His towel may have been damp. I guess I'll need to try these out more to be sure.

But let me also say that the dampness didn't affect my game. It was something which I had noticed. I'm wondering if other testers encountered a similar issue? Anyone?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 11:16 pm

mengteck71 wrote:

there is a sign of weakness, then a mock resistance and finally the submission....of course MT did not get his favourite colour. i am sure if he has seen the white or red or both, he would have to change pants.

i dont think it will replace the MC but i do think that it will move some who do not like the MC but could do with more traction to use the DTX instead.

looking forward to hearing more about the DTX from the trial users. i kinda thought that Jason was describing a new car but a very objective and throughout review indeed.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 11:17 pm

Technospaz wrote:
garylin wrote:

As I mentioned, there was some moisture with the Pure grips. I'm not sure if it's designed that way to retain some moisture. The GP Multicompound grips are dry - never had an issue with moisture. But, with the Pure grips, I noticed that it was a wee bit damp.

I should also add that it may have been my caddy who was diligently wiping the grips each time he passed me the driver. His towel may have been damp. I guess I'll need to try these out more to be sure.

But let me also say that the dampness didn't affect my game. It was something which I had noticed. I'm wondering if other testers encountered a similar issue? Anyone?

ok will see what the others say too Smile great review btw..
Back to top Go down
Neverendless
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:24 am

Where to find pure grips?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 9:08 am

Neverendless wrote:
Where to find pure grips?
It's now available almost every where, saw in couple of shops in FESC and BFG bring it in.
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:08 pm

fitted it today at BFG , went on to play 9 hole.

No need to review , just tell me how much per piece and when stock coming in lol! cheers

As mention by the rest the main aspect would be the feel that they provide , unlike any other mainstream grips i have ever felt!

The DTX is really really firm especially with my mid-size making my short game more confident as i installed in on the wedge! Tried it without glove and feel so secured just can't wait to install it on my irons bounce
Back to top Go down
imrog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:30 pm

I have it on my hybrid. The grip has excellent traction and very tacky. After wiping down with a wet towel, it became even more tacky. Probably ok to play without gloves on this grip.

Not sure if its me, but I can feel the little "compartments" on the grip shift a little as I grip the club. Its a very minor shift, nothing that will affect the traction of the grip. I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill...
Back to top Go down
Flash
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:54 pm

I am using the normal Puregrips. Does the Pure Grip DTX varies in weight for different color just like the others? It is not documented in their website yet.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 9:37 pm

bryanachong wrote:

No need to review , just tell me how much per piece and when stock coming in lol! cheers

As mention by the rest the main aspect would be the feel that they provide , unlike any other mainstream grips i have ever felt!

The DTX is really really firm especially with my mid-size making my short game more confident as i installed in on the wedge! Tried it without glove and feel so secured just can't wait to install it on my irons bounce
Thought you are injured? Still can play?
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:02 pm

enwee wrote:
bryanachong wrote:

Walk 9 holes , after 5 holes give up and went range hahaha yeah meniscus still giving problem

MRI appointment still waiting... Cannot resist trying my modified swing and new grip on course!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:15 pm

bryanachong wrote:
enwee wrote:
bryanachong wrote:

Walk 9 holes , after 5 holes give up and went range hahaha yeah meniscus still giving problem

MRI appointment still waiting... Cannot resist trying my modified swing and new grip on course!
Better don't hor, meniscus injury can be quite serious. Don't force yourself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips   Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review of the Pure Grip DTX Prototype grips
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next