Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
herpderp

Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip Empty
PostSubject: Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip   Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 3:00 pm

So my Lamkin grips finally arrived after 2 weeks of waiting, decided to be adventurous and installed the grips myself.bounce bounce
left with 4 more clubs to complete today.
took about 2 hours to change 9 grips, so about 13-15 mins each grip.

Will be taking them out to the range today and a game tmr morning.

Initial feel of the grip : 

Super Tacky, almost as sticky as a used double sided tape.
The grip itself is soft to the touch, looks and feels somewhat similar to a high quality tennis grip.
will carry on the review once i come back from the range tonight.
pretty excited about these grips.

Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip Img-2010

PS : Each of the grips came along with one of these : 
GRIPES GRIP CLEANING WIPES
http://www.lamkingrips.com/?r=Gripes-wipes

i took out one to wipe off the excess solvent off all the clubs and was amazed how well they cleaned the grips and how fast it dried. you can check them out if you are looking for something to clean your grips without any hassle.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip   Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Nice review!

Would love to hear your follow up one.

Btw, it looks similar to the GP tour wrap ya?
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
herpderp

PostSubject: Re: Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip   Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 3:36 pm

asahi wrote:
Nice review!

Would love to hear your follow up one.

Btw, it looks similar to the GP tour wrap ya?

ya looks like that. i dont know how it compares to the GP tour wrap in the feel dept, but i really like the softness of the lamkin.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip   Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Bro, is it easy to install? What are the tools needed to do such installation? Thanks ...
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

PostSubject: Re: Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip   Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 pm

I really admire you cos I had a hard time installing the grips myself. What solvent did u use?
Or u using air compressor? i gave up installing the grips myself.
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
herpderp

PostSubject: Re: Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip   Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:15 pm

i used this solventReview : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip 2013-010

steps to replace grip : 

1) before doing anything, i tape a small piece of masking tape on the shaft where the grip ends and mark the point which is square of the clubface.
2) using a penknife, slide it along the grip. it should be relatively easy to remove once it is cut. it will easily slide off. you may wish to visit a professional fitter if you want to salvage the grip. but in my case i did not need the old grips.
3)  once you have removed the grip, the most tedious step is to remove the old tape. you must remove ALL the tape to install the new grip. I found many methods online like using a penknife to slide along the tape and then remove from the cut part. however, i found an easier method which was to open the sealed end of the tape at the butt and pull downwards. i managed to remove the tape as a piece without any tears. probably also meant that my previous fitter did a good job taping it on.
4) once the old tape is off, stick the new tape on, leaving about half an inch sticking out at the butt so that you can seal it. this is to prevent the fluid from going into the shaft.
5) clamp the shaft down. pour the solvent into the grip and shake it, covering all holes so that the solvent flows around the whole grip. pour out the solvent onto the tape on the shaft, and spray somemore solvent on the shaft for good measure. be generous with the solvent as we do not want the grips to move around.
6) in one swift action, push the grip all the way in.
7) align the line on the grip to match the marking you made on the masking tape at step 1. this must be done within 1-2 mins before the tape sets in.
8) wait for 1-2 hrs before using.

I have a 3 wood not done yet, will post pics on the steps if anyone wants.
*TRY THE STEPS AT YOUR OWN RISK, ANY PROFESSIONAL CLUBFITTER IF YOU SEE ANY WRONG STEPS IN MY METHOD PLEASE CORRECT IT.

did not manage to visit the range today due to some last min change in plans. will post the playing review tmr. grips feel more solid when i came back to check on them today, no longer soft. but still feels better than my previous tour velvet.
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

PostSubject: Re: Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip   Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Bro care to share where you got your grips from? and how much?

Looks good man..!
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

PostSubject: Re: Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip   Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Very helpful step by step guide. I am also using brampton solvent and grip tape.
Must be i not strength, always push halfway and got stuck. Or i nust have taken too long.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip   Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review : Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN grip
Page 1 of 1