Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips

Go down 
+10
ahhhling
alucard
daveaha
missmoon
mUAr_cHEe
S70B
Birdman
frosTEE
Technospaz
rocky
14 posters
AuthorMessage
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips Empty
PostSubject: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 2:01 am

Putter Grip Showdown: Tiger Shark vs. Tiger Shark Lite by Rocky
Date: 30th Nov 2009

Introduction
Hey folks! This is a review for putter grips by Tiger Shark Golf. (http://www.tigersharkgolf.com/) In this review is a showdown between 2 of Tiger Sharks own products - the Tiger Shark and the Tiger Shark Lite.

About Tiger Shark and their products
Tiger Shark Golf is a golf company based in Michigan, USA. They are well known for their large, oversize putter grips and also recently acquired Super-Stroke into their line of products. Super-Stroke, of course, was made famous by Asian golf superstar, K.J. Choi. They also produce golf clubs.
According to some researchers, large and oversized putter grips help to maintain wrist angles so that power is supplied by the arms and shoulders during the putting stroke. These putter grips are built to restrict wrist action so that forearms and shoulders work in cohesion to produce a more consistent and controllable putting stroke.
The company has fitted some of the world's best players and they often blog about their experiences while following the pros on tour. Some of the big names using the Tiger Shark grips are Retief Goosen, Rory Sabbatini, Justin Rose and Matt Bettencourt.

Tiger Shark Grip - Technical Specifications
Tiger Shark Grip
Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips IMG_7137

The Tiger Shark (TS henceforth) grip tips the scale on the heavier end at 113gm. Compared to most grips on the market it weighs almost half times more than most grips. Most grips on the market run for about 70 to 80 grams.

So here we are talking about large, oversized grips. The TS grip is larger than most other grips. The height of the butt measures 3.5cm and the width measures about 3.0cm.
Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips TSButt

The TS grip is also available in a variety of colours - red, blue, orange, green, yellow. They do offer a black but it comes in a jumbo size that is larger and heavier than the rest.

Down the shaft view
Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips IMG_7141

Tiger Shark Lite Grip - Technical Specifications
Tiger Shark Lite
Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips IMG_7145

The Tiger Shark TS (TS Lite henceforth) is the newest product out from Tiger Shark. It features a thicker grip, different material, and is light weight. The TS Lite weighs in at 67 gm, which is almost half that of the TS grip.

The butt end of the grip is hefty - 4.0cm tall and 3.8cm wide.
Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips TSLiteButt

Side View
Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips IMG_7146
There is also some redesign in the look and feel of the grip. Firstly the grip is more of a 1 piece design. So most of the grip is only has one colour. Aesthetically, it does seem a little less appealing than the TS grip.

Ribbed
Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips IMG_7150
The good part about the redesign is the ribbed underside. Ribbed grips give the golfer a sense of a "V" shape valley that rides up the fingers. If the grip is correct, the valley will sit comfortably within the fingers. Conversely, if gripped wrongly then the feeling will be awkward. This ribbed design gives the golfer some indication to whether the grip is done correctly or not.

Down the shaft view
Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips IMG_7147

Rocky's 2 Cents
These 2 grips shall be judged based on 5 criteria - Traction, Looks, Comfort, Feel and Price. All criteria will be graded on a 10 point system, 10 being excellent.

TS Grip

Traction - 8.0
The TS Grip works well in wet weather and provides excellent traction. For a person with sweaty palms like myself, it does not slip and moisture is quickly dissipated away.

Looks - 7.0
Aesthetically, the grip looks good and not overly loud or striking. The red on this grip appears rather pleasant to the eye. The 4 thumb indicators provide some indication for the placement of the thumb. This creates some form of consistency.

Comfort - 9.0
The grip feels good in the hands and is, by far, the most comfortable of all the putter grips. There is no urge to strangle the putter as the traction and size fit snugly into the hands.

Feel - 8.0
Stroking the putter gave excellent feedback. The feel of the putter head striking the ball did not feel muted and off center hits were felt in the hands.

Price - 3.0
Tiger Shark products have always been on the higher end of the price spectrum. As such, this grip will set one back 35 quid, which is rather high for a putter grip. However, if you are looking for an oversized putter grip, this is a good choice.

Other points worth noting
Odour
The TS grip does have one nuance - odour. There is a stench that comes from the grip. It still lingers on after 1 year of usage. Somehow I can never get rid of it. The smell is not over whelming, neither is pungent. After gripping on the putter, the smell of rubber will remain on your hands for some time before it wears off.

Overall - 35/50

TS Lite Grip
Traction - 3.0
The traction is not good in wet conditions. For a person with sweaty palms, this grip does not work very well. On initial inspection, one would think that the TS and TS Lite have similar traction. However, on closer inspection, it is evident that the TS Lite is somewhat different.

Side by side comparison
Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips SideBySide

From the picture, it can be seen that the thread marks on the TS Lite are rounded on the edges while the ones on the TS are more sharp edges.

Aesthetics - 3.0
The grip offers the same 4 thumb indicators for consistency as of the TS. However colours are limited to 3 - red, blue, and black. The colours on the TS Lite are rather bright and loud. And as mentioned that it is a more one piece design, the colour runs through the entire grip, making it rather bright and striking.

Comfort - 5.0
The size of the grip is very comfortable. Comparatively it feels more comfortable than the TS Grip. The ribbed grip also helps in alignment of the fingers into a comfortable grip. However, the problem comes after an hour or so on the practice green. As moisture builds up, the grip becomes more and more difficult to grip. There is a need to constantly wipe down the grip to remove the moisture. I also found myself having the tendency to grip harder on the putter. It got to a point where I felt that my muscles were sore after a long putting session.

Feel - 8.0
Stroking the putter gave excellent feedback. The feedback was similar to that of the TS grip. The feel of the putter head striking the ball did not feel muted. Also, off center hits were also felt in the hands.

Price - 1.0
This grip belongs to the highest end of the price spectrum! 45 quid for a sub-par product does not go well.

Overall - 20/50

Summary
According to research, oversized grips do help in reducing wrist action. For golfers like myself who do a "wristy" putt, I would go for oversized grips such as the ones offered by Tiger Shark. I also have large hands (I wear size 26 gloves, and even sometimes find them too small) so large grips are my choice of grips.
In summary, the TS grip is a good choice for putter grip as it possesses good moisture management, excellent traction and is comfortable in the hands. The downside is the odour that lingers on for a while. The other thing to note is the weight which tends to change the swing weight of the putter.
In my opinion the TS Lite is a less superior product because it does not manage moisture well; the traction is not good and is really expensive. Although Tiger Shark has made great effort in reducing the weight of the grip, they have failed to fulfill the most fundamental criteria of a grip - traction. In my opinion, the TS Lite is a product that is taking two steps back in terms of product innovation.

Thank you for reading this review and I hope you have enjoyed it.

Credits
GolfAmigos - Great job on the extension and thanks for the head cover!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:15 am

Rocky, that was an awesome review!!! Very well done. Great pics. Good write-up. Keep 'em coming! Smile
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 11:37 am

Thanks, TS!
Back to top Go down
frosTEE
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
frosTEE

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 12:42 pm

Thank you Rocky ^^
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 1:30 pm

Nice one Rocky.

Thanks for taking the time to do a detailed review and including the many pics.

It's great stuff like this that makes GR worth coming back to every single day.

Love to see more like this from our brothers and sisters here.

cheers
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 1:38 pm

Nice one Rocky. Nice pics too.

I might have missed it but did you get to check out the Swing weight difference with your previous grips before installin the tigershark and the tigershark lite? I wud like to know how much it will change.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 1:42 pm

To do a review now against SuperStroke...
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi Rocky,

Great Review..
The pictures are remarkable, your image editing skill is superb. Its not easy to bring the product details onto the pictures.

Thanks for this outstanding piece!

BTW, do you have your putter with this grip on? I would like to try. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks to all who have read. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

S70B: The Lite version did not change my swing weight. I was cautious about that because when I did the TS, I did not factor it in. In short, after installing the Lite version I still maintained the same overall putter weight and the swing weight.

Birdman, Frostee: Thanks for taking the time to read. Hope you liked it. Amigo said that I am the "resident product reviewer". Hahahaha... I try my best. I like to write about "toys", if you know what I mean. My motto is, "there isn't anything in the world that can't be reviewed!"

MC: Come come. Bring me the SS. I will review it. Tiger Shark bought over the SS, you know right?

Miss Moon: Thanks for your compliments. Both the putters are my gamers. My mallet putter with TS is my wife #1. My blade putter with TS Lite is wife #2. Usually mallet goes in for slow greens and blade goes in for fast greens. I am now looking for a new grip for my blade. I dislike the traction on the TS Lite. They don't work well for people like me with sweaty palms. So to answer your question - Yes. I have them on. But 35 1/4" may be a tad too long for you. We can arrange if you want to try.

Side track a bit. Anybody want to guess what putters they are? No prizes though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 2:45 pm

Oh, and just to add.

The TS is actually ribbed. This makes BOTH the TS and TS Lite ribbed. Think I didn't mention it earlier.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 2:51 pm

rocky wrote:
Thanks to all who have read. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

S70B: The Lite version did not change my swing weight. I was cautious about that because when I did the TS, I did not factor it in. In short, after installing the Lite version I still maintained the same overall putter weight and the swing weight.

Birdman, Frostee: Thanks for taking the time to read. Hope you liked it. Amigo said that I am the "resident product reviewer". Hahahaha... I try my best. I like to write about "toys", if you know what I mean. My motto is, "there isn't anything in the world that can't be reviewed!"

MC: Come come. Bring me the SS. I will review it. Tiger Shark bought over the SS, you know right?

Miss Moon: Thanks for your compliments. Both the putters are my gamers. My mallet putter with TS is my wife #1. My blade putter with TS Lite is wife #2. Usually mallet goes in for slow greens and blade goes in for fast greens. I am now looking for a new grip for my blade. I dislike the traction on the TS Lite. They don't work well for people like me with sweaty palms. So to answer your question - Yes. I have them on. But 35 1/4" may be a tad too long for you. We can arrange if you want to try.

Side track a bit. Anybody want to guess what putters they are? No prizes though. Very Happy

Scotty bulls eyes Very Happy

And nice write up too ! Too bad I love my titleist grip, otherwise I've already changed my grip because of your writing! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 3:01 pm

Daveaha: Aiyah no fun one. Everytime I do this, within 3 posts the answer is out.... no suspense at all.
Well, you are almost correct! If I got $$$ I will get Scotty Bullseye. Mine is the Titleist Bullseye.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 3:03 pm

rocky wrote:
Daveaha: Aiyah no fun one. Everytime I do this, within 3 posts the answer is out.... no suspense at all.
Well, you are almost correct! If I got $$$ I will get Scotty Bullseye. Mine is the Titleist Bullseye.

Cheers!

wahhahahaa... sorry lah...
Cos I saw it before ma Very Happy

So have to spoil the party ... kekeke Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 9:48 pm

No worries, dave!

Anyway, looking for a better grip for the bullseye. Any recommendations? Smile
Back to top Go down
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 8:07 pm

dug up an old thread. any other reviews about this grip?
also where to buy and how much?
thanks!
Back to top Go down
ahhhling
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Anyone have any idea on where to get the tiger shark grip fitted in singapore?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/ahhhling
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 3:31 pm

FESC and any fitters
Back to top Go down
ahhhling
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 3:33 pm

I went to a few fitters before. They all do not carry tiger shark. Any particular shop in FESC that you know confirm will have?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 3:38 pm

ahhhling wrote:
I went to a few fitters before. They all do not carry tiger shark. Any particular shop in FESC that you know confirm will have?
I saw vinc have it before....not sure now, you tried BFG, Bob's golf, Tradehub?
Back to top Go down
ahhhling
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 3:40 pm

I know tradehub, golfwerkz and marina bay golf course fitter do not have. My friends told me BFG also do not have it.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 4:00 pm

believe greenfields at fesc carry them..
last time i changed to tiger shark putter grip was beginning this year at golfdirect but they r out of stock atm
Back to top Go down
phatish
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 4:01 pm

How does this compare with other oversized putter grip?
Back to top Go down
addirk
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
addirk

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 5:07 pm

I prefer tiger shark compared to super stroke as the tapered end of the tiger feels more natural and nice to grip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips   Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review: Tiger Shark Putter Grips
Page 1 of 1