Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review: ZZA Tour Prototype

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  Empty
PostSubject: Review: ZZA Tour Prototype    Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Dear all

Thought I shld write a little review to do justice to this piece of equipment. What hit me yesterday after my game was quite refreshing.

I have used and owned now, some 15 putters - ansers, mallets, blades, heel shafted, center shafted, belly putters, broom sticks. Not so much to improve putting, but more for admiring the different forms and satisfying curiosity.

Always wanted to try a Zen and picked one up from the Den last week whilst back in Singapore for a vacation. I liked the Zen then for its form factor, clean look and the nice black F360 as an option to the black head. Read some great reviews about the Zen Patented RDE (Reduced Dimple Error) technology and honestly, wasn't entirely sold. AT least not yet. But still, I got fitted with the ZZA Tour Proto on F360 last week. Have to try to know right?

So, went out and try it yesterday. First 4 holes, found my putting odd. Ball seemed to roll a lot quicker and overshot the cup on all four occasions. Didn't quite like what I have in my hand. Green speed at my home course was something I am familiar with so it wasn't a case of green speed being fast etc.

Was patient and the putting experience from the 5th to 19th hole was very refreshing.

• Set up: very pleasing. Cant tell that much when at the Den, but out in the full glory and sunshine, I immediately felt at ease with the "half-shaft" offset. I didn't like the plumber necks full shaft offset on my other anser putters that much (my go-to putter is a Center Shafted Studio Select with no offset).
  • Roll: I found that the ball rolled very true from the get go. I have the feeling that the ball was turning over very fast. It might be the F360 shaft, might be my NXT ball, or it might be the putter head, or maybe whats in my head. Feeling was very good. Confidence level went up immediately and I made 5 one putts from inside 8 feet from there. I felt that if I missed, its only my misreading the break.
  • Stroke: The putter is best stroked/pushed rather than "hit". I say this cos some putters like my acushnet bullseye, likes to be "hit" more than "stroked". This, speaking from personal experience (subjective).
  • Form factor: Very high. I am a man of aesthetics and the all black head and stepped sole looked awesome. Why does the ZAM not come with this cool slot/cavity design?
  • Getting Fitted: Well true, this sentiment comes after just 18 holes. I believed getting fitted and knowing that I shld be going with a shorter putter would do better for my putting. Most of my putters are standard off the rack 34"-35" ones. DGman forced me to try a 32" but ultimately fitted me with a 33". Strangely, I have always "choked" down on my other putters so maybe I do benefit with a shorter flatstick (I am not a tall dude, just 172cm).

So yes, overall, a lovely experience, and one I hope to replicate for the rest of the year.

Now, I am interested to try a center shafted Zen Zim (DGMan you heard this??) And I am still bumped not to have a matching BLACK cover!!

Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  Singap10

Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  Abu_dh10
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Review: ZZA Tour Prototype    Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Nice writeup and nice photo...the ZZA series is a prototype and only those who live in Dubai or bring enough coffee and goodies get to see...let alone bring home one....

i must have mistaken your credit card for the PGA tour card...Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Review: ZZA Tour Prototype    Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 9:57 pm

DGman wrote:
Nice writeup and nice photo...the ZZA series is a prototype and only those who live in Dubai or bring enough coffee and goodies get to see...let alone bring home one....

i must have mistaken your credit card for the PGA tour card...Cool
Very humorous boss. Maybe you didnt make a mistake and havent realised it's a Middle East Tour Card. hehe

But I am serious about the center shafted Zen though.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Review: ZZA Tour Prototype    Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 pm

i have a surprise for you...when i am back photographing the Great Wall, i will take some pictures for you...i have a couple of rare new CS protos......
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Review: ZZA Tour Prototype    Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 pm

You were in Singapore and did not call me????????Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Review: ZZA Tour Prototype    Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 10:29 pm

shorthitter wrote:
You were in Singapore and did not call me????????Sad
Haha coach. It was a very very short 6 day trip in Singapore. And I didnt really wanna see a botak Allen. Wait till you grow back your hair and look like James Bond again.
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Review: ZZA Tour Prototype    Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 10:30 pm

DGman wrote:
i have a surprise for you...when i am back photographing the Great Wall, i will take some pictures for you...i have a couple of rare new CS protos......
I dont wan pictures la! I wan a real putter!
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Review: ZZA Tour Prototype    Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 2:10 pm

I am always confused with all the ZZw, Zim, Zam, etc.. I have tried two models and love both of them. One friend tried my first Zen putter and fall in love and ask to fit one exactly the same..

After fitting, the claimed it is not exactly the same and 'forced' me to sell mine to him. Smile

Boss DGman,

Are you able to post picture of all the various models of the Zen putters?
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Review: ZZA Tour Prototype    Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 3:26 pm

I read the different models somewhere in another thread, where DGman posted all the pics
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: Review: ZZA Tour Prototype    Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 9:25 am

19th Hole ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review: ZZA Tour Prototype    Review: ZZA Tour Prototype  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review: ZZA Tour Prototype
Page 1 of 1