Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

hitting a light post

Go down 
+15
enwee
freedrop
IGT
mowen
shorthitter
zhenxua
golof
eden
Duval_S
mloy
Birdman
syard-txv
X-Man
mUAr_cHEe
golfool2009
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

hitting a light post Empty
PostSubject: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 11:00 pm

what's the rule if you hit a light post on the course? i'm thinking that since it is an immovable obstruction, you just play it as it lies and you can get a free lift if it's in the way of your normal swing....my friends and i usually are friendly and replay it but that doesn't seem right either....
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:11 am

dun understand wad u mean.

ball hit lamp post and land near to lamp post?

My ball usually hit lamp post and come straight back at me or onto the fairway or WAY onto the other side of the rough.
Back to top Go down
X-Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
X-Man

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:34 am

If your golf ball hit lamp post, and land anywhere, play it as it lies.

If your golf ball land near lamp post, play it as it lies.

If friendly game, and to speed up play, get relief..... with 1 stroke penalty Smile
Back to top Go down
syard-txv
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:40 am

i know in nsrcc, especially the last holes, where there are lamp post, if you hit them and your ball goes into the water, you get a free lift...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:44 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

My ball usually hit lamp post and come straight back at me or onto the fairway or WAY onto the other side of the rough.

Put yourself in other people's shoes la....

Most people hit lamp post, the sound is 'dong'.

Ball land beside lamp post.

Muar Chee hit lamp post, the sound is 'DONG'.

Ball cross from right lamp post to left rough, or come back to you to re-tee for mulligan.

Your rebound factor is higher ma....
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:46 am

Birdman wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:

Put yourself in other people's shoes la....

Most people hit lamp post, the sound is 'dong'.

Ball land beside lamp post.

Muar Chee hit lamp post, the sound is 'DONG'.

Ball cross from right lamp post to left rough, or come back to you to re-tee for mulligan.

Your rebound factor is higher ma....

ROFL ROFL ROFL can't help it. Its so hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:51 am

syard-txv wrote:
i know in nsrcc, especially the last holes, where there are lamp post, if you hit them and your ball goes into the water, you get a free lift...

wah....so good!!!! Free lift????
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 2:51 pm

syard-txv wrote:

is there such a local rule in NSRCC?
as far as i know i think only the lamp posts in army hole #9 might deflect your ball into the water harzards.

lamp posts in nsrcc are immovable obstruction (refer to the back of the score cards) and should be under rule 24-2.

24-2. Immovable Obstruction
• a. Interference
Interference by an immovable obstruction occurs when a ball lies in or on the obstruction, or when the obstruction interferes with the player’s stance or the area of his intended swing. If the player’s ball lies on the putting green, interference also occurs if an immovable obstruction on the putting green intervenes on his line of putt. Otherwise, intervention on the line of play is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.

• b. Relief
Except when the ball is in a water hazard or a lateral water hazard, a player may take relief from interference by an immovable obstruction.
Back to top Go down
golof
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 2:58 pm

If your ball hits the lamp post and it lands in the hazard, there is no free lift. The penalty for water hazard rule applies here.

However, if you ball hits the lamp post and lands next to the lamp post, and it interferes with your swing, or flight of the ball, you get a free lift.

cheers
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:01 pm

golof wrote:
If your ball hits the lamp post and it lands in the hazard, there is no free lift. The penalty for water hazard rule applies here.

However, if you ball hits the lamp post and lands next to the lamp post, and it interferes with your swing, or flight of the ball, you get a free lift.

cheers

actually u only get free relief if it interferes with the stance or swing NOT if it is in the line of your intended ball flight.

Back to top Go down
golof
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:05 pm

Eden, you are right. cheers
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:15 pm

SH, so what's the call?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Eden is right, if it says quite clearly on card that lamp posts in nsrcc are immovable obstruction (refer to the back of the score cards) and should be under rule 24-2.

Then intervention on the line of play is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 pm

MC sometimes produce the shots that you cannot imagine

I remember one hole .. He hit a 3 wood hook it so bad that it hit a board and rebounded above his head and OB ...

Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:27 pm

eden wrote:
golof wrote:

cheers

actually u only get free relief if it interferes with the stance or swing NOT if it is in the line of your intended ball flight.

Yes, that's my understanding.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:37 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Eden is right, if it says quite clearly on card that lamp posts in nsrcc are immovable obstruction (refer to the back of the score cards) and should be under rule 24-2.

Then intervention on the line of play is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.

thanks mate

out of curiosity, is there any course in singapore with local rule that relief can be granted for ball hitting lamp post?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Marina Bay used to have it on their card....

In a Pro event we do not get line of sight, but if we hit it we get a replay......
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:09 pm

out of curiosity, is there any course in singapore with local rule that relief can be granted for ball hitting lamp post?[/quote]

I think Sentosa has this local rule. When your ball hits a light pole, you get to replay from original spot with no penalty. Last year in Singapore Open, Thomas Bjorn did it and was advised by rules official to replay.

Last edited by freedrop on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 pm

at the singapore open, the pros also picked up their balls on the fairway to clean ...

i was shocked at first and then found out that they're allowed to lift, clean and replace ... do that when you're betting vegas with your friends and that's it ...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:22 pm

zhenxua wrote:
at the singapore open, the pros also picked up their balls on the fairway to clean ...

i was shocked at first and then found out that they're allowed to lift, clean and replace ... do that when you're betting vegas with your friends and that's it ...
If I'm not wrong, I think in order to do that, that day must be declared winter ruling in play. Once it's in play they can only mark and clean the ball when the ball land on the fairway or 1st cut.
Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Just play the ball as it lies, it's more fun that way. Basketball

In the good old days of Old Tom Morris they didn't have the benefit of many local rules to help them; whatever the course threw at them they accepted, and gouged balls out of sand and rough with their long-suffering not-designed-by-Roger-Cleveland niblick.

If the ball hits the lamppost and you can't build your stance, hit the ball into the lamppost again!
You may get lucky.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 10:17 am

entity wrote:

If the ball hits the lamppost and you can't build your stance, hit the ball into the lamppost again!
You may get lucky.

entity - i find this amusing. For all u know, one may miss the lamp post! Laughing
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 10:29 am

entity wrote:
In the good old days of Old Tom Morris they didn't have the benefit of many local rules to help them;.

They also did not have Lamposts... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 11:22 am

beehome wrote:
entity wrote:

You may get lucky.

entity - i find this amusing. For all u know, one may miss the lamp post! Laughing

Yes, only when one aiming at it. One will miss it.

If one try to avoid it, will hit it ... (if you are a golfer, you will understand)

Shit !! that what always happened to my tee shot Crying or Very sad lol!
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 11:24 am

Slicer51 wrote:
beehome wrote:
entity wrote:

You may get lucky.

Yes, only when one aiming at it. One will miss it.

If one try to avoid it, will hit it ... (if you are a golfer, you will understand)

Shit !! that what always happened to my tee shot Crying or Very sad lol!

shi xiong.....

which is why i always aim for bunkers n not the green.....

flower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hitting a light post   hitting a light post I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hitting a light post
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next