Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Buying a golf club from Japan

Go down 
+13
Golfish
toonified
yaozza07
youming
lousyswinger
eden
andrew-golf
chien
Turbo
oldie-newbie
abadan
kyleyann
superputt
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Buying a golf club from Japan Empty
PostSubject: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 1:21 pm

I plan to purchase a golf club from Japan.  Before I pull the trigger, I need to know what is the maximum amount of an item that will be free of import tax in Singapore.   Please state the amount in US Dollars.  Thanks!
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 1:29 pm

its $400 Singdollar , about USD$320
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Just to add on, The S$400 or USD320 is inclusive of shipping charges.

So for example... if shipping is US$40, your item cannot be more than US$280.
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 2:19 pm

So far i have purchased from Japan and never had customs issues. So far have been from Rakuten through EMS.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 2:49 pm

It depends on how the merchant declares the value of the items during shipping

most merchants will state a smaller amount.

But some merchants will state the actual value amount

I purchased a used Honma 5w from a reputable Japanese online store. And i didn't expect them to declare the exact amount. Ended up have to pay customs
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 3:01 pm

I guess it also depends on your luck and who's working at the post office that day. hahaha

If the online store is a reputable one, they will usually state that the buyer is responsible for any sales tax imposed on the item(s).

They will not amend the actual value amount nor will they declare it as a gift. I recently got a set of irons online and was pleasantly surprised when I saw the delivery man! cus I expected to get a call to go down and collect the item and pay GST.

EMS shipping is also very fast. I got my irons in less than a week. I ordered on Thursday, and got them the following Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Sometime it is better to declare the actual full value in case you need to claim insurance due to one reason or another ...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 3:10 pm

superputt wrote:
I plan to purchase a golf club from Japan.  Before I pull the trigger, I need to know what is the maximum amount of an item that will be free of import tax in Singapore.   Please state the amount in US Dollars.  Thanks!

There is no import duty for golf equipment. You would only be subjected to GST for purchase of S$400 and above ...
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 8:40 pm

superputt wrote:

Since you mentioned a golf club thus I presume is 1 club.. Unless its a US$1k putter, I think there is no issue...

Have bought numerous items from Rakuten and I can't recommend them enough.. Order process always very efficient, they will email you an English translated email for confirmation, and automatically an email with EMS number for your tracking and confirmation of shipping.  If you are lucky, they might even include some small gift in the package to thank you for your purchase !! Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 7:35 am

chien wrote:
superputt wrote:

Since you mentioned a golf club thus I presume is 1 club.. Unless its a US$1k putter, I think there is no issue...

Have bought numerous items from Rakuten and I can't recommend them enough.. Order process always very efficient, they will email you an English translated email for confirmation, and automatically an email with EMS number for your tracking and confirmation of shipping.  If you are lucky, they might even include some small gift in the package to thank you for your purchase !! Cheers Jump

Ok thanks guys for your feedbacks. 

FYI I have ordered some cheap stuffs from Rakuten.  Order processing is not that quick.  If you order on Sunday, they will receive the order on Monday.  Then on Tuesday, they will send you an email about the shipping cost.  Then usually they will ship the item on Thursday.  Also there is no contact the seller on the product page.   Make it difficult if you have questions about the product.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 1:33 pm

There's always an email that you can contact the seller. .

Also they work 5 days work week and as with other overseas online retailer they usually respond the next working day. .

In anyway,  this works well if you are not in hurry to receive the goods and it is straight forward enough to order online. .

I think the biggest draw for me is the convenience,  things you can't get locally and the sometimes significant price difference. 

cheers
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 10:03 am

chien wrote:

Also they work 5 days work week and as with other overseas online retailer they usually respond the next working day. .

In anyway,  this works well if you are not in hurry to receive the goods and it is straight forward enough to order online. .

I think the biggest draw for me is the convenience,  things you can't get locally and the sometimes significant price difference. 

cheers

Rakuten customer service is poor.  I ordered an item for my daughter on Sunday.  I haven't received any emails from the seller until today (Wednesday).   So then I emailed Rakuten customer service.  Their reply is "please contact the seller directly".  Wow!!! so helpful.....Sad
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 9:51 pm

superputt wrote:
chien wrote:

cheers

Rakuten customer service is poor.  I ordered an item for my daughter on Sunday.  I haven't received any emails from the seller until today (Wednesday).   So then I emailed Rakuten customer service.  Their reply is "please contact the seller directly".  Wow!!! so helpful.....Sad

I feel safer to buy from eBay because my money is protected by eBay and Paypal ... I also can choose to buy from seller who received consistently good feedbacks from previous buyers ...
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 11:42 pm

Turbo wrote:
superputt wrote:
chien wrote:

cheers

I feel safer to buy from eBay because my money is protected by eBay and Paypal ... I also can choose to buy from seller who received consistently good feedbacks from previous buyers ...

Yes you are right.  You can always report to ebay customer service if the item is not received or fakes.   I have experienced this a couple times and got a 100% refund.

Also my complain to Japanese online sellers (NO offense to all Japanese here), their handling time is so sloooww.  Once I bought a club from a Japanese seller on ebay.  The item was shipped two weeks after the payment date.  Also the email response is way too slow compared to US sellers.  Sent an email and got a response after 3 days.  Way to sloow for email exchanging period.
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 10:23 am

superputt wrote:

Also my complain to Japanese online sellers (NO offense to all Japanese here), their handling time is so sloooww.  Once I bought a club from a Japanese seller on ebay.  The item was shipped two weeks after the payment date.  Also the email response is way too slow compared to US sellers.  Sent an email and got a response after 3 days.  Way to sloow for email exchanging period.

It actually depends on which online retailer you've ordered from since Rakuten is only a portal.

I once ordered a product through Rakuten at around 9 am one morning. I got the confirmation email by lunchtime, they informed me they shipped the product out by 4 pm that afternoon, and I got the product delivered to my office around 3 pm the very next day!  So I guess it's the your luck of the draw that you've bought something from a good online vendor.
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 2:56 pm

kyleyann wrote:
superputt wrote:

It actually depends on which online retailer you've ordered from since Rakuten is only a portal.

I once ordered a product through Rakuten at around 9 am one morning. I got the confirmation email by lunchtime, they informed me they shipped the product out by 4 pm that afternoon, and I got the product delivered to my office around 3 pm the very next day!  So I guess it's the your luck of the draw that you've bought something from a good online vendor.

The next day? c'mon EMS is not that fast.  The fastest shipping period I got is 3 days.  Shipped on Monday, arrived on Thursday.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Super putt

U ain't see nothing yet 

I must say kyleann is right 

Depends on the store
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 9:22 am

i ordered my grips on monday and i got my package on thurs!

Golfhands Rakuten!

Good service!!!
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 5:07 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
i ordered my grips on monday and i got my package on thurs!

Golfhands Rakuten!

Good service!!!

Rakuten sellers are funny.  Everytime I ordered something, I got an confirmation email in Kanji.  I know I can translate the writing to English using google translate.  But do they expect everyone to understand to read Kanji?  Especially if you ship worlwide?
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 5:10 pm

U can send in a request to them to write in English lor

That's the thing if u wanna order from Rakuten

If u can't change the environment, change yourself 

Else don't order from rakuten lor
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 5:12 pm

andrew-golf wrote:

Rakuten is the last resort for me.  Slow shipping, the seller English is poor....  Better start learning English properly if you want to serve customers from other countries.  Otherwise, I think they shouldn't make a global rakuten website.  Just make a website for Japanese customers in kanji.

I like Tourspecgolf.  But the owner is a white guy?
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 5:34 pm

superputt wrote:
andrew-golf wrote:

Rakuten is the last resort for me.  Slow shipping, the seller English is poor....  Better start learning English properly if you want to serve customers from other countries.  Otherwise, I think they shouldn't make a global rakuten website.  Just make a website for Japanese customers in kanji.

Not sure which website you went in..

There IS a Rakuten Global site.

When you have placed an order they would reply you a confirmation perhaps in Japanese almost immediately or latest by the next working day.  But I would usually receive this sub note together in the email

"For foreign customers, we will send you another e-mail in English later. 
Please wait for a while and check the details about your order on it. 
Thank you.  "

In case you can't understand what it was written in the email, just copy the Jap wordings and paste in Google Translate.

I have ordered numerous items and never had any issues.

Let me know if there is any particular item you are dying to get hold of.  I'll help if possible.

Disclaimer:
I don't work for them and I have nothing to do with Rakuten in Japan or Singapore. I am just 1 happy shopper…. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 5:43 pm

bought at least 5 clubs from Rakuten, communication was superb and shipping was super fast, typically Monday order, Friday will arrive.

But not all is cheaper, shafts afaik is alot cheaper than ebay. Bought Zelos 7 and Hi-Rev there before.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 5:47 pm

superputt wrote:
Quote :

repost from other topic:

Hi,

I am not sure what kind of response u expect from the GR community when u start criticizing Japanese having poor English, and using color to describe a person's ethnicity/ race.
This is a friendly forum and I would think that we have many GRians that are not of the same nationality and/ or ethnicity as you; therefore please be sensitive.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 6:11 pm

eden wrote:
superputt wrote:
Quote :

repost from other topic:

Hi,

I am not sure what kind of response u expect from the GR community when u start criticizing Japanese having poor English, and using color to describe a person's ethnicity/ race.
This is a friendly forum and I would think that we have many GRians that are not of the same nationality and/ or ethnicity as you; therefore please be sensitive.

Like +1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying a golf club from Japan   Buying a golf club from Japan I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buying a golf club from Japan
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next