Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??

Go down 
+3
redknapp11
essentiale
jll
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jll
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? Empty
PostSubject: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 8:24 pm

Was considering buying this club membership but now having some concerns.

I know that the land lease expires in 8 years (2021). And that PUB decided against early lease extention request. Read it in a SLA press release. Google SICC land lease.

With the news today that the goverment will be taking back some golf courses for development so as to achieve higher land productivity, and that both golf sites sits in the slated Central Region of the island is a bit worrying.

Especially the Bukit course which sits just next to the highlighted Bukit Brown area.

I have just one question for forum or SICC club members, is my news on the lease extension old news and if so, does anyone have any latest information on the lease extension? i.e. has it been extended.

I don't wanna end up buying a golf club without a club (if you know what I mean).

Was just wondering if PUB already knew something?

Thank you in advance for your kind response.
Back to top Go down
jll
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 8:40 pm

Sorry I can't post links as I am a new member.

If some older member care to post the links would very much appriciate it.

1st link, google search for SICC land lease. It is a SLA press release.

2nd link, In today's Business Times online titled "S'pore to reclaim land, boost landuse, for bigger population"

Thanks alot
Back to top Go down
jll
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 8:50 pm

Just to highlight some of the key points in today's BT article....

"The Republic also plans to develop some of its existing reserve land, intensify new developments and recycle land with lower-intensity uses such as old industrial areas and some golf courses to achieve higher land productivity, according to Ministry of National Development's Land Use Plan released released on Thursday (Jan 31)."

"As part of plans to boost the island's stock of homes by 700,000 units by 2030 to support a rising population, the Republic is planning for new housing estates in the Central Region -- at the former Bukit Turf Club, Kallang Riverside, Keppel and Bukit Brown areas. When fully developed, they will offer attractive housing options close to the city and connected to MRT lines."

Back to top Go down
jll
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 9:23 pm

cut and paste the SLA press release...

Joint PUB-SLA Press Release On SICC
The Public Utilities Board (PUB) has informed the Singapore Island Country Club (SICC) that PUB has decided not to proceed with the early extension of lease for the SICC golf course land.

In 1991, Government decided to convert Temporary Occupation Licences (TOLs) for golf courses to 30-year leases at market rates. A one-off discount of 50% in land valuation was granted to the then existing golf clubs to help them adjust progressively to market rentals.

As most of these leases will be expiring between 2020 and 2025, the extension of leases of SICC as well as the other golf clubs will be considered nearer the expiry of the leases. (SICC's lease has another 18 years to run before it expires in 2021).

This will enable management of leases for golf course land in Singapore to be on a fair and transparent basis. Extending these leases prematurely and repeatedly long before they reach expiry will limit planning flexibility and prevent the issuance of fresh 30-year leases.

Issued by:
Singapore Land Authority
14 April 2004

Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 3:47 am

Sell SICC and buy Sentosa!
Back to top Go down
jll
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 5:58 am

Agree. Sentosa sounds like a better investment idea. Highly unlikely to be taken back for commercial/ residential development.

With the development of the "Southern Waterfront City" comprising commercial and (IMHO, probably higher end/ up-market) residential (as highlighted in the same BT article), this club would be more sort after.

Plus with the relocation of port facilities and terminals from city terminal and Pasir Panjang to Tuas means getting there would be a breeze, i.e. u don't have to jostle anymore with container trucks and lorries using the same road.

However, it's not for me mainly due to proximity. Only have eyes on SICC.
Back to top Go down
redknapp11
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 9:14 am

well it depends on what ur after.
if solely for golfing sentosa would be the obvious choice.

but if ur looking for a more "complete" club SICC would be the choice with 2 locations , and the plethora of facilities at ur disposal. its also more children friendly if u have kids.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 1:16 pm

I don't think buying a club membership as an investment is a sound idea. You will be better off with other options.

Golf membership is an extension of a
Lifestyle if you can afford it. Like buying a supercar if you will.

Otherwise you d end up like a vast majority of Singaporeans.

Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Bangla123 wrote:
I don't think buying a club membership as an investment is a sound idea. You will be better off with other options.

True that agree
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Bangla123 wrote:

Bangla, think this is the first time I have seen u talk sense and I agree with you... lol!

Have a great weekend !

cheers
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 pm

redknapp11 wrote:
well it depends on what ur after.
if solely for golfing sentosa would be the obvious choice.

but if ur looking for a more "complete" club SICC would be the choice with 2 locations , and the plethora of facilities at ur disposal. its also more children friendly if u have kids.
Actually if u look at the recipocal clubs, SICC got the best.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Everything I post makes sense. It's only a matter of whether you can comprehend what im saying. Have a good weekend to you Mr Lam Smile
Back to top Go down
golftortoise
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Personally if u look at the price of sicc and sentosa, it is more worth it to get sicc. Becos it has 4 courses while sentosa has 2.

Sentosa members need to pay redevelopment fee in 3 or 5 yrs time (can't remember exactly). So it maybe more worth it to get SICC?

Regarding the acquiring of golf course for housing, I suspect SICC and Sentosa will be least affected? There are quite a few political figures who are members. Guess PUB will still renew the lease? Just my 2 cents. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??   Is SICC Club Membership worth buying?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is SICC Club Membership worth buying??
Page 1 of 1