Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?

Go down 
+6
eiji
Technospaz
Gimson
jaketang
sunny
naruto
10 posters
AuthorMessage
naruto
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? Empty
PostSubject: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 11:22 pm

Dear all,

I have started learning golf and I have spotted one of the shops in Far East selling Gosen complete begineer set for $399 only. Is gosen golf clubs good? Can kindly advise? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 11:46 pm

it is not one of the big names but that doesn't mean you can hit balls with it.

If your budget is only 400 i guess you are not left with a lot of choices and it certainly beats getting clubs off cash converters.

sufficient to let you get by lessons(most of the places loan you crap clubs for training anyway...)
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 11:49 pm

hmmm bro naruto, have u gone for the lesson?

perhaps u can try it with the instructor's clubs 1st.. (many student do tht)

and then after trying out a few, u may know what type is more suitable.. eg flex....

then u might consider buying those slightly better brands but 2nd hand.. i feel is more worth it... Smile

juz my 2 cetns
Back to top Go down
naruto
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 11:59 pm

Hi all,

Yup I have just completed my golf lesson. My instructor has recommend this gosen begineer set which he commented quite good for a beginner. I have also saw those beginner set like touredge and katana at price of $499. I am thinking of getting one new set to practise my swing first.
Back to top Go down
Gimson
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Gimson

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 1:13 am

hey bro, my friend might be keen to sell his gosen full set. He bought it at $499 like 2 mths back. He told me tt he might be keen to upgrade his set. Do u want it?
Back to top Go down
naruto
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 9:35 am

HI Gimson,

Thanks for your offer. I prefer new set actually. Can I know how does your friend feel about the gosen set? Or anyone can recommend any decent beginner set? Thanks a lot
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 9:44 am

Naruto,

Getting a beginner's set is always a challenge. You can opt for something which is quite basic and reasonably priced but the clubs may not be great. My take:

1. Buy a good 2nd hand set (which may set you back about $500-700 depending on brand, condition etc). This way, you'll learn to play better since the clubs are likely to be of a better quality, i.e. more forgiving and has better features.

OR

2. Buy a decent brand new set (which varies in price depending on how decent the set is). In this approach, you can consider all the brands. Obviously some are far better than others but also far more expensive.

I would advise you to consider #1 because of several reasons such as:

1. You'll likely enjoy your golf coaching/training more if your clubs are of a better quality. You'll find the game less frustrating (hopefully) Smile

2. A 2nd hand good set is always valuable. Once you're comfortable with them, you can consider upgrading to a brand new set which is of better make etc. You can sell of the 2nd hand set for a decent price. Some sets maintain a good value because of their features (forgiving, game improvement, brand etc) so there's always a demand for them.

3. A 2nd hand set would not set you back too much. Yes, they're not always cheap but I believe that the $ spent is more worth it. You don't have to cough up huge amounts of $ for a brand new set and will only need to pay a fraction for the 2nd hand set. Again, how much depends on factors I mentioned above.

So, there you go. I apologize for being long-winded but I wanted to share my thoughts with you.

Going back to your question about Gosen sets, I think there are various Gosen models. Obviously, some are better than others. I've never tried a Gosen club before but there's no reason to believe that they are bad clubs. I just think that there are better clubs out there which may give you better returns.

My 2 cents.
TS
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 10:42 am

buying clubs is like selecting a car, many different brands, price point, features, etc etc.

It boils down to your budget, preference and philosophy in owning equipment, some prefer to get 2nd hand, some prefer new but less dear equipment, some prefer to get more renown brands with higher price tags, some prefer customized clubs, some prefer to get TP/Pro range equipment.

You have to ask yourself, how are you getting along the game and what sort of equipment would give you the best bang for buck, in terms of value and as well as emotional returns when playing.

I have never hit Gosen before, so I can't comment if they are any good, but maybe you should consider attending some demo days from the different clubmakers and have a go at a variety of clubs, or come join the forum's weekly driving range session at MBGC and ask if u can have a go with some of the forumers clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Seiko
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 11:06 am

Bro Naruto, let me said something cos I'm also a beginner!

All the comments here are very correct n it is depends very much on your mentality n financial ability. I can buy new expensive set but in the end my 1st set cost only $249 n I'm using it until now for abt 8mths. If u ask me is this $249 set gd enough? My answer: as a beginner YES, for further advancement maybe not! So if u trust your pro then buy this set. If not then happy searching!!!

Now my bro Dave is "poisoning" to change to Mizuno set! haha
Back to top Go down
RJNG
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
RJNG

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 11:19 am

Understand your feel for getting "New Club" but after hitting for a few rounds, old or new, believe it or not, it's the SAME. LOL

My 2 cents
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 11:39 am

Clubs are not like car. A 2nd hand car may give problem if previous owner whack it.

But clubs will be fine unless got cracks, dents or worn out grooves etc.

Some more after hitting it for a couple times, your new clubs would look exactly like used.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 11:48 am

didn't mean it in the sense of new car vs old car analogy, more of what boils down to personal preference is often the influence of many other factors that includes but is not the limited to budget, aesthetic appeal, ability, etc etc

but yea what you said is true, barring any damages to the outlook of the club, more often than not, its won't give as much as headache when purchasing used clubs vs used cars.

we can agree to disagree on some of the points, but i think the decision still boils down to the OP, asking equipment advise will always give u varied opinions, what matters is what he truly thinks and feels about the purchase before and hopefully a long time after and not buy hit it a few times and decide to sell it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 11:53 am

Think we left him more confused than ever. My advise is take the 2nd set and try. If you do not like it, resell and not much losses. Buy a new set and you would be more than just lucky to find another wanting it and buying it off at 200.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 11:16 pm

Me owned Gosen 21* and 22* hybrids (two for the price of one from Bishan pro shop about 4 years ago).

Was happy with them for many years--even gave the 22* hybrid to wify.

Since then upgraded to Titleist 19* hybrid; wify upgraded to TM Burner 24* hybrid.

Earlier this year, gave away my whole set of Mactec NV2 graphite clubs, Ping driver and Gosen 21* hybrid to Salvation Army.

I found that I 'out grew' the game-improvement Mactec set (especially the 3 wood which was very inconsistent, even on solid hits) and the Gosen hybrid.

Ironically, my sunday-bag practice irons (Ben Hogan Apex forged musclebacks with graphite shafts) are from Salvation Army. My practice driver is a shortened stiff-flex shafted TM Dual R7 with 10.5* loft.

I am experiementing with a theory that practicing with heavier and slightly stiffer clubs will improve my rhythm and ball-striking effectiveness with my game-playing clubs: Nike CCi irons & Titleist 907 D2 9.5* driver, 909H 21* hybrid & 909F woods (15.5* & 18.5*).

Eitherway, I cannot even hit game-improvement clubs anymore--especially if they have light graphite shafts and wide soles.

But those Mactec NV & Gosen hybrid clubs got to where I am today under 100 gross from the blue tees usually--and I am thankful to have owned them.

CK
Back to top Go down
Gimson
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Gimson

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 12:16 am

naruto wrote:
HI Gimson,

Thanks for your offer. I prefer new set actually. Can I know how does your friend feel about the gosen set? Or anyone can recommend any decent beginner set? Thanks a lot

The main reason he wanna upgrade is becos tt gosen is a graphite shaft. He bought it on impulse as its so cheap to come with everything and he didn't want to commit so much moolas into this game yet at that point of time. Now that he enjoys golf, he wanna upgrade to a steel shaft which he thinks its better for him.

Cant comment much on feel cos im still noob though i prefer my TM irons.
For a start, if u wanna go for a branded set such as taylormade which is not too high end either. A iron set shld cost u ard 700.
Don't rush into buying a full set, buy a set of irons 1st and see if u like the game. Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 1:16 am

-sold-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?   Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Gosen golf set worth buying for begineer?
Page 1 of 1