Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swinging fast with wrist rotation

Go down 
+13
Turbo
golftraveller
weesern
Birdman
Winston
Kaii
Nam Flog
Vinny
nomic76
skybobo
bomby
antGolf
eyz4eva
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eyz4eva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Swinging fast with wrist rotation Empty
PostSubject: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi,

I hope to get some tips on how do I get to swing faster, and at the same time getting my wrist to rotate as fast, so that the club face is closed at impact?

I have a very bad slice problem, but somehow managed to overcome it, but at the expense of lower back swing and slower downswing.

Some changes I had done to my swing.

1) I also changed my grip to the centre grip below:

Swinging fast with wrist rotation Proper_golf_grip

That was after I read the tips by JHan in another thread. And it did help to promote better wrist rotation at impact.

2) I have to do a half backswing, and let the inertia bring the club backward to a 3/4 swing. Anything more than that would cause my left arm to flex. When my left arm is not straighten, I will not be able to rotate my wrist fast enough at impact. I noticed that at the follow through, my arms would be swing faster the my club if my left arm is not straight.

3) I also rotate my hips, so that the left arm can remain straight after impact until almost the left arm is horizontal. It also helps to keep the hands nearer to the body, so that the swing path goes from inside-out..

When I try to swing a little faster, it's quite difficult to maintain the left arm straight.

Is there anything I can do to get a faster swing? My distance is quite bad. I'm getting like PW/50+m, i9/55+m, i8/60+m i7/70m.

I'm using Mizuno JPX800 with Project X Graphite 5.0 (91g) shaft.
Back to top Go down
antGolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 5:36 pm

eyz4eva wrote:
Hi,

I hope to get some tips on how do I get to swing faster, and at the same time getting my wrist to rotate as fast, so that the club face is closed at impact?

I have a very bad slice problem, but somehow managed to overcome it, but at the expense of lower back swing and slower downswing.

That was after I read the tips by JHan in another thread. And it did help to promote better wrist rotation at impact.

2) I have to do a half backswing, and let the inertia bring the club backward to a 3/4 swing. Anything more than that would cause my left arm to flex. When my left arm is not straighten, I will not be able to rotate my wrist fast enough at impact. I noticed that at the follow through, my arms would be swing faster the my club if my left arm is not straight.

3) I also rotate my hips, so that the left arm can remain straight after impact until almost the left arm is horizontal. It also helps to keep the hands nearer to the body, so that the swing path goes from inside-out..

When I try to swing a little faster, it's quite difficult to maintain the left arm straight.

Is there anything I can do to get a faster swing? My distance is quite bad. I'm getting like PW/50+m, i9/55+m, i8/60+m i7/70m.

Maybe you can consider to find a one-to-one coach for a few sessions to help you to take a look? a few hundred dollars. At least you will not be confused about your swing.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 pm

I think u need a coach to know what's wrong. Why do u need to rotate ur wrist? Wrist for me is hinge and unhinge and hinge.
Back to top Go down
eyz4eva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 6:19 pm

antGolf wrote:
eyz4eva wrote:
Hi,

Maybe you can consider to find a one-to-one coach for a few sessions to help you to take a look? a few hundred dollars. At least you will not be confused about your swing.

intend to take up a 6 or 10 hours one-to-one package, probably start of next year. took some single hour session, but they somehow can't fix my slice problem.

those changes I made were observations given by friends at the range!
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 6:25 pm

I think no one can give u concrete advise. Since u mentioned Justin Han, why not arrange to see him and take the guessing out of your swing?
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 6:33 pm

All honesty. Dun flame me. Just voicing my opinion. 

To hit a 7i 70m. There must be something fundamentally wrong with your swing mechanics and unless u change that or find out what is wrong. It would be difficult for u.
Back to top Go down
nomic76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 7:14 pm

I agree with Bomby as on avg...as long as u swing thru, 7i should get u a distance of 120m. Probably having the slcing or hooking problem. 

Why dun u try neutral grip (centre pic) and learn to hinge and unhinge then do your backswing to a comfortable (say 3/4 backswing) and then try to connect a slightly elevated tee (say 1/2 to 1cm) and follow thru till your 2 hands are behind yr left shoulder (dun flame me pls - google or youtube will show u lots) .

Anyway....getting a good coach is the way to go. He will be able to correct yr swing plane, your posture, and possibly head movement ( anticipation) or elbow bending problems...just to name a few.

With a coach...u can get improve at a much faster pace as compared to years which i went through. Just my 2 cents worth.
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 7:43 pm

There's something definitely wrong with your distance gaps in relation to iron progression…. 

For sure you definitely need to see a coach for some professional advise and throw in the additional hours to grind out the results ~ seeing a coach alone without practise is still not going to cut it, been there done that. 

It'll be a long and tedious journey but the rewards of playing enjoyable golf is priceless.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi eyz,

Most of the people here will ask you to see a coach. They have your best interests because most of us here are handicap golfers. And the blind should not lead the blind.

I do want to offer you my opinion nonetheless. Hope that by sharing experience it will help in some way.

Can you post a video of your swing? It will shine more light on what you are trying to describe and there are teaching pros here who can give you some advice as well.

I totally understand what you are trying to achieve. My irons distance have increased slightly after I found the wrist rotation as well. More importantly, I am able to compress the ball with the wrist action. Sometimes I go as much as try to flick it during my practice swings so that I can achieve it better during my actual hit. You understand what best works for you, nobody else. Golfers who say they do not rotate their wrists either are not aware they are doing it, or they hit the ball like Zach Johnson.

Google golf double pendulum and watch some videos of it. There is no way the double pendulum effect can be achieved just by hinging and unhinging your wrists. Wrist rotation is a must if you are using this method to strike the ball. However, please do not intentionally rotate. Swing your arms, rotate your core, and let your wrists do what they are suppose to do naturally.

I will post a series of videos later and you see if they make sense to you.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Just to confirm you are a bro or sis?
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Zach Johnson.

My interpretation of his swing is no wrist rotation. See when the commentator pause and draw the straight from his right arm to his club head?

I also see chicken wing coming out at the same moment. Proof that only you know what works for you best. Pros on the tour can use chicken wing to their advantage.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:13 pm

This one explains the double pendulum.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:20 pm

My favourite swing.

Watch it frame by frame and you can see the wrist rotation starting around the 11th sec and complete by the 13th sec.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Lydia Ko also. It's very obvious she relies heavily on wrist rotation to whip that shaft and generate lots of club head speed.
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:25 pm

if your left hand grip is correct, just cup your right hand life line over the left thumb. the "roll" will come naturally
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Mark Crossfield. Talking about how to get the club head travel much faster with the handle slowing down upon impact by flicking wrists.

I find a lot of sense in what he says and it applies to me.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Unless your friends are certified instructors, go see a coach. I am lucky that my friends only give me advice on course management and coach me on how to be mentally stronger through all the mind F&%&@*(# . 

I started off like many, using youtube, listening to friends and it got me no where. Until I finally took lessons from a coach and it has changed my game completely. I was also lucky that i got him before the "bad" habits set in. I gained 3 club lengths after 5 lessons and continuous practice.

Also, a golf shot is not only about having a strong / neutral / weak grip. It is about the whole body working in sync. 

Go see a coach. I am sure there are many who would be more than happy to give you a free analysis
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 9:57 pm

I am assuming ur rotation means this. This will help u understand more.

Back to top Go down
eyz4eva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 11:08 pm

Guys, thanks for the advice. I am planning to go for coaching session early next year. I was thinking whether I can find some way improve my swing during this time.

Yes, the distance is pathetic for a GUY.

Thanks for the videos. That's the wrist rotation I am talking about. Some called it rolling the wrist, some called it flicking/flipping.

Nam Flog, the video displayed the problem I am having, which is the hand dragging the club after impact. It occurred to me when my left arm isn't straight during the downswing. Correct me if I am wrong.

Mark Crossfield was talking about flicking the club in that video, whereas in the other video posted by bomby, he was saying that there isn't any rolling in the wrist, which is kinda confusing.

Will try to get some videos up next time.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 12:48 am

eyz4eva wrote:
Guys, thanks for the advice. I am planning to go for coaching session early next year. I was thinking whether I can find some way improve my swing during this time.

Yes, the distance is pathetic for a GUY.

Thanks for the videos. That's the wrist rotation I am talking about. Some called it rolling the wrist, some called it flicking/flipping.

Nam Flog, the video displayed the problem I am having, which is the hand dragging the club after impact. It occurred to me when my left arm isn't straight during the downswing. Correct me if I am wrong.

Mark Crossfield was talking about flicking the club in that video, whereas in the other video posted by bomby, he was saying that there isn't any rolling in the wrist, which is kinda confusing.

Will try to get some videos up next time.

Distance will come if us get the mechanics right. 

The video on flicking the wrist. U need to take it into context. Mark is trying to fix the errors of the swing while the video I post is more generic. 

So if u have the same swing fault as the lady in the video, then feeling in flicking the wrist will allow u to have a better release. 

This is another video that really helped me a lot. 

Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 4:03 pm

eyz@ think u your issue is not with the swing alone. better get a good coach to teach u the basic
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Eyz, like you, I used to think of actively rolling the wrists through impact, which I had to do as a consequence of having previously rolled the wrists, also known as fanning, during the takeaway into the backswing. It's two wrongs to make a right which can work with perfect timing, but is not a reliable or powerful way to get your ball flying straight.

FYI, rolling of the wrists and flicking/flipping the wrists are two entirely different moves.

If the wrists roll through impact, the butt end of your grip should still point to your belly button and the back of your right wrist should match that of your forearm in a relatively straight line. Think of the move more as the right forearm crossing over the left forearm through impact and the wrists will follow suit. Thinking wrists first is like the tail wagging the dog.

If the wrists flip through impact, the butt end of the grip will point to your right side and away from your body and the back of the right wrist will be bowed.

Mark Crossfield seemed to contradict himself in both videos but in the first, what he was suggesting to solve the prolem was doing the opposite, more the feeling of flipping the club through impact rather than it actually happening for the lady in question.

In the second video, he says that one shouldn't actively roll the wrists. This is in relation to a proper backswing, on plane and with no fanning in the takeaway. With a proper backswing, if one were to actively roll the wrists on the downswing, all that would result is a hook at best, or a smothering duck hook at worst.

In golf, two wrongs can make a right, but only some of the time, and not reliably all of the time. On the days you can time your wrist roll correctly, the ball may go straight; on the days you can't, your slice to the right may return; and on the days you overdo it, you'll be confused by the resulting hook to the left.

One move that could result in three different directions, where do you aim to while standing on the first tee? 

I echo the others suggestions of seeking out a good coach, and now, not next year. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 5:31 pm

your left arm should straight on its own during downswing unless u try to keep it bent.
observe which direction the ball is starting and how it curves. it may not be a problem of open clubface.

your distance seems a bit short assuming u are taking a 3/4 or full swing, are you hitting it fat? try to feel if you are able to tell if u hit the ground before, after or same time you contact the ball
Back to top Go down
eyz4eva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 11:26 pm

Birdman wrote:
Eyz, like you, I used to think of actively rolling the wrists through impact, which I had to do as a consequence of having previously rolled the wrists, also known as fanning, during the takeaway into the backswing. It's two wrongs to make a right which can work with perfect timing, but is not a reliable or powerful way to get your ball flying straight.

FYI, rolling of the wrists and flicking/flipping the wrists are two entirely different moves.

If the wrists roll through impact, the butt end of your grip should still point to your belly button and the back of your right wrist should match that of your forearm in a relatively straight line. Think of the move more as the right forearm crossing over the left forearm through impact and the wrists will follow suit. Thinking wrists first is like the tail wagging the dog.

If the wrists flip through impact, the butt end of the grip will point to your right side and away from your body and the back of the right wrist will be bowed.

Mark Crossfield seemed to contradict himself in both videos but in the first, what he was suggesting to solve the prolem was doing the opposite, more the feeling of flipping the club through impact rather than it actually happening for the lady in question.

In the second video, he says that one shouldn't actively roll the wrists. This is in relation to a proper backswing, on plane and with no fanning in the takeaway. With a proper backswing, if one were to actively roll the wrists on the downswing, all that would result is a hook at best, or a smothering duck hook at worst.

In golf, two wrongs can make a right, but only some of the time, and not reliably all of the time. On the days you can time your wrist roll correctly, the ball may go straight; on the days you can't, your slice to the right may return; and on the days you overdo it, you'll be confused by the resulting hook to the left.

One move that could result in three different directions, where do you aim to while standing on the first tee? 

I echo the others suggestions of seeking out a good coach, and now, not next year. Very Happy

hi birdman, thanks for the detailed explanation. You put out a better explanation of what I was trying to bring across, which is the right forearm crossing over to the left forearm. And I realised that when my left elbow is a little bent during the downswing, the forearm could not cross over fully, resulting in slightly open face, sending the ball slicing, and hands swinging ahead of the club during the followthrough. 

Thus, I'm trying to get some advice to increase my swing speed with stability.

As for the wrist control, other than occasional late release, I don't really control it consciously. I just let the club head weight to do it's work. I just try to keep a flat left wrist.

If you ask me where am I aiming, it looks to me i am aiming straight ahead! haha

I hope to get coaching ASAP but could only do so early next year.
Back to top Go down
eyz4eva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 11:31 pm

bomby wrote:
Distance will come if us get the mechanics right. 

The video on flicking the wrist. U need to take it into context. Mark is trying to fix the errors of the swing while the video I post is more generic. 

So if u have the same swing fault as the lady in the video, then feeling in flicking the wrist will allow u to have a better release. 

This is another video that really helped me a lot. 

thanks for the video. That the drill what I always do for my warm up, and the ball goes straight.  But when I try to "chu gu lat", the ball goes north east east.

Nonetheless, this is a good drill for me and I'm trying to ingrain the move into my muscle memory.
Back to top Go down
eyz4eva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 11:40 pm

weesern wrote:
your left arm should straight on its own during downswing unless u try to keep it bent.
observe which direction the ball is starting and how it curves. it may not be a problem of open clubface.

your distance seems a bit short assuming u are taking a 3/4 or full swing, are you hitting it fat? try to feel if you are able to tell if u hit the ground before, after or same time you contact the ball

I suspect that the left elbow bend, when i pull back the swing too far back. Now I use the contact betweem the chin and shoulder as a indicator, that I shouldn't turn too far back.

I wouldn't say I am hitting fat. When I'm doing dry practice, the club head would just graze the mat gently, and not the thumping sound.

Swinging fast with wrist rotation 588x700px-d531aa8b_BallFlightLaws

I just saved this image on my phone. Will use it as a guide to see where I am doing wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swinging fast with wrist rotation   Swinging fast with wrist rotation I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swinging fast with wrist rotation
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next