Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!

Go down 
+33
shorthitter
poresia
divotee
iron eagle
Begbie
aural
and68low
jurongtiger
longster
sunny
mUAr_cHEe
mengteck71
elvingolf
Haiphong
ghoonk
gezt_ho
Wongster
TheFocalPoint
nientsu
watermyforrest
guybrush
Khorkar
Sam2902
golfer
clarencekim
Juzme
Roystonnn
sebastianlim
jhan18
Technospaz
Tituman
ironfist
chemicalpro
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 6:26 pm

The only way to bring the crowd back is to charge the ball cheaper (back to $6 per 94 balls)... at least imho hehehe...
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 9:39 pm

I agree with you WMF! I would still go there even if the balls were 8cents each due to the location! But bring back the old balls! Oh bring back... Oh bring back...
Back to top Go down
Haiphong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Haiphong

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:04 pm

I paid 4 bucks for 40 balls. That's 10c per ball. Inflation... Not to mention the machine sucks. Use your driver and it goes beyond the 150m, so no score registered, that means, payng extra for nothing. Attitude of the middle-aged lady at the counter also sucks. It really gone to the dumps. I suggest we boycott it so that will send a message. Bye bye TP, will be at Bishan.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:13 pm

Join the many of us whom have already boycotted TPY range Haiphong! Their demise will soon follow Laughing
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:43 pm

Bishan range isn't great either. Rock hard balls, rock hard mats, and weird angles facing the range. I'd rather spend money at money face golf range. At least the balls aren't as hard, mats are slightly better, and the mats are facing the open area properly.
Back to top Go down
Haiphong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Haiphong

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 8:00 pm

I think the mats and balls are pretty ok. Only thing about Bishan is the angle of the range. And also, the ground floor tend to be used by the pros for their lessons in the am. But, between Bishan and TPY at the moment, TPY is not worth the $$.
Back to top Go down
gezt_ho
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 10:38 pm

Heard that they going to change to lighter ball still c/w passive electronic component next month. Maybe they might lower the price too.
Lets wait and see. Question
Back to top Go down
elvingolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:14 pm

Compare both bishan and TYR. I think bishan is better.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:21 pm

You guys dont like MBGC range?
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:34 pm

Have you guys been to Sembawang? They have upgraded lightings and balls are quite new. The super off-peak rate is really good deal @2cts per ball. FOr $2, you get 100balls. Super off-peak are from 0700-1400hrs on weekdays except Monday is maintenance and range opens after 1400hrs
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:35 pm

Hey, that's not too far from my place! Will try that next time I'm back! Smile
Back to top Go down
gezt_ho
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:36 pm

Never been there before. How the enviroment at MBGC range?
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 12:15 am

I quite like it. Range is clean, mats are reasonably soft, balls are not as bad as Bishan's, they have off-peak rates, and mats are aligned straight ahead so it is easier to practice
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 1:15 am

100 bals for $2 @ Sembawang?! OMG! Madness-ly cheap! ROFL
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 1:38 am

And probably very crowded! hahaha
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Ok. Not it is my turn to rant on my time at Toa Payoh Range. I just came back from there from my on-going lessons with my pro. Again, I got a earful from him for not staying faithful to my equipment. Anyway, I just want to reiterate the importance of seeing a pro rather than asking for advice in here; my pro solved my problem in just 5 minutes into my lesson.

Course
Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 4247309101_104e5e7daa

Not much has changed from the previous set up other than the boxes in the middle that is supposed to be part of the playgolf system. There are like point segments within the boxes for you to score. I guess this will train your Par3 on-ability. There are like computers/display at every bay that is supposed to be used for the playgolf system and to see your statistics of play at the range. I have not given this system a go yet so I can not say much more.

Balls
Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 4248072904_de0a98f80d

What most have mentioned about the balls being heavier is true. My PW usually has an average carry distance of 120 metres but today it is almost perfect for the 100 metres box at 75% strength. My drives are also abit shorter, with the older balls, I was hitting the back net most of the time, but today I could see that my ball landed short of the net and just roll all the way back. Again, I reiterate that distance gauging should not be done at the range as the ball compression is nowhere similar. It should just be a place for you to practice and groove your swing and sort out your necessary issues, preferably under the guidance of a pro. Of course, a pro that you hired and not 'pros' that offer you free advice. As with regards, to the hardness of the ball, erm, I think this should have no relevance when you are practicing right? Softness of the ball should only matter when you are talking about finesse strokes like putting or chipping?

Surroundings
Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 4247287195_738a527ba3

Strangely, I like the surroundings of TPY Range. Maybe because it is less crowded and I find it easier to concentrate on my training. The mats are still crispy and the balls are not really that bad. They still do launch and I managed to spin a couple of them. I even did one with my 6 iron. Pls dun ask me how to do it again. I'd said it was "ty-co". There was also a lovely evening breeze just now and I quite enjoyed it.

RTR? Return to Range? I will only go there for my lessons. But give me Marina Bay any day.

Last edited by mUAr_cHEe on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:54 pm

MC....do you take your camera around everywhere you go??
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
Ok. Not it is my turn to rant on my time at Bishan Range.

And what is the rant on Bishan? I see only TPY in your post. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:57 pm

Laughing I was about to say that
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 12:06 am

@nientsu. Almost. But not to the toilet only.

@sunny/Chemicalpro. Sorry lah. i thinking of bishan gfren too much. Edited.
Back to top Go down
longster
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 2:52 pm

ohhh the tpy range.. ever sicne they installed the playgolf system.. my grp of frds.. boycotted the place.. hard balls// exp prices..

these days the range is largely empty ..

hope the management do something abt it..
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 3:03 pm

and TPY range has a place in my heart.

When I first started hitting balls some 6 yrs ago, it was at this range. Affectionately names VW range back then.

No mei meis at the canteen to serve you tiger beer.

When it closed abt 3 yrs ago, I was very sad.

I still remembered I was the last guy at the bay at the last day it closed, at 11pm. The indian range keeper and I shared a smoke and talk kok. It was raining that night.

Strangely, at the last day, they were using BRAND NEW TPY range balls. I kept a few for souveneir and stayed on that night until all the lights were turned down.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 3:21 pm

The outfield (artificial hitting surface) at VW PGA driving range was really bad just before they closed.

Similar to OCC's driving range before they switched to all grass.

But as with JT, TPY DR is very convenient from my house and a good change from Bishan DR sometimes.

I took photo of the place when it was abandoned a year ago.

Much diff now with PRC and local mei-meis at the cafe and the PlayGolf system.

FYI, I usually dont 'PlayGolf' just practice my swing (3 x 80 balls) and aim at a diff targets.

It is still rather dissappointing to see your driver or long irons go 20 -30 meters LESS in distance than hitting most other range balls.

CK
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 3:24 pm

I want to instruct the mei mei there like Daren
Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 4:03 pm

(quote) :: What most have mentioned about the balls being heavier is true. My PW usually has an average carry distance of 120 metres but today it is almost perfect for the 100 metres box at 75% strength. My drives are also abit shorter, with the older balls, I was hitting the back net most of the time, but today I could see that my ball landed short of the net and just roll all the way back. Again, I reiterate that distance gauging should not be done at the range as the ball compression is nowhere similar. It should just be a place for you to practice and groove your swing and sort out your necessary issues, preferably under the guidance of a pro. Of course, a pro that you hired and not 'pros' that offer you free advice. As with regards, to the hardness of the ball, erm, I think this should have no relevance when you are practicing right? Softness of the ball should only matter when you are talking about finesse strokes like putting or chipping? (unquote)..

MC, just for your info, most or i will safely say all range balls in singapore have a compression of 50-70, the reason for such low compression so big hitters like u will not hit it to orbit and loose their balls. So basically it should feel softer, unless harden by the heat and uv rays.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!   Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse! - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Toa Payoh Range. Bad To Worse!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next