Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Toa Payoh Driving Range

Go down 
+15
scram
mUAr_cHEe
icejazz
jurongtiger
ironfist
asahi
poresia
first_timerz
chemicalpro
Duval_S
vyvy
watermyforrest
clarencekim
Golf Warrior
newgolfswing
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
newgolfswing
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Toa Payoh Driving Range Empty
PostSubject: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Try out my new golf swing at the target golf and felt quite good about it. though got less than 450 points in the first try.

Hope to come back to again to beat my own mark again soon
Back to top Go down
Golf Warrior
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:51 am

Wow, the newest state-of-art real golf scoring game at Toa Payoy Driving Range is really AWESOME!

Yesterday, we went there to check it up after we read it on the website. We were highly impressed by
what we heard from the staff and decided to give it a try. My gosh, we really got a great time hitting
the target and the pop-up scoring graphic on the bay screen was really cooool. man!

We were so happy that we decided to sign up as member. We can't wait to go back to have great fun
again. Check it up...........you'll never regret it!
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 8:40 am

The proximity of TPY from my home is sometimes my only option to practice while waiting to pick up the kids from CHIJ-TP.

I still dislike the rock-hard balls and the tinny sound they make on my Titleist 907 D2 driver and woods.

I can score around 1200 by just aiming at the 100m + 150m targets in the middle sections--I dun hit far (~180m) but I have a fairly close ball dispersion landings--unless I duck hook or slice a shot.

The 75m target is easy but offers fewer points.

I find pucrhasing the 80 practice balls for $7 a better option tha the 60 PlayGolf option as now can see mostly where the balls land when flying over the 150m targets--they lowered the back catchment vertical frames.

My future goal is hitting just between the middle 100m and 150m target areas to about 200m.

Why? Because most real fairway landing areas (short grass) are only about 40m-60m wide. Learn to hit within that relatively small area and your tee and fairway shots will stay on the fairway, not OB, in water, in deep rough, etc. usually.

I have played with long hitters who could not stay on the fairways and whose short game is so inconsistent that they gained many strokes getting the ball into the whole even though they were 100 metres or less from the green on their second shot (par 4) or on the green at par 3s with their second shot.

IMHO, short game skills (picting, chipping, putting) and keeping the ball are the fairway will lower scores (and handicaps).

But I do enjoy TCSS/bola-bola with the cute Chinese F&B female staff at TPY.

Rolling Eyes

CK
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 9:57 am

Sigh... even the only enjoyable part: TCSS with the F&B staff, also not available to me as I range early in the morning... so imho i will give this range a miss... i don't think i am prepared to:
1. hit some rocks.
2. jump up and down just to see where my rocks landed if I use my driver as the views are blocked by the nets & sign for the playgolf
3. pay $7 for the aforementioned rocks.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:15 am

At least it does encourage a mentality of hitting to a specific target rather than hit-and-hope which most beginners do.

FYI, the cute asst manager named Yen at TPY has a twin sister!

Her brother works at TPY sometimes also as so-called supervisor.

Both have been friendly and helpful to me.

The PRC mei-meis are all under 22 years old I was told--and single.

Swing

CK
Back to top Go down
vyvy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
vyvy

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Haiz, i decided to give TPY range a chance again.
But apparently they are testing the system and have problems issuing the temporary barcodes.. In the end, i did not wait for them to resolve the issues and left.
Disappointed that I left the place without practicing.. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 10:49 pm

wah!!!! this place so chiak lak......neber been there but previously on and off went to Queens...the place quite ok, simple system.....except for the yellow balls....
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 11:02 pm

vyvy, have they changed the balls? or is it still the green hard ones?

Oh I went back to Bishan, went to purchase another range card that time the lady recognising me asked me where my previous one was, I told her I left it in the ball dispensing machine and forgot to take it last Friday.

Apparently they have my ID and card number on their system, so they deactivated the old card and transfered the balance onto my new card!

So all wasn't at loss, except for the $5 card replacement Smile
Back to top Go down
vyvy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
vyvy

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 11:15 pm

no leh.. its still the old ones..
they even have a booth there to promote ppl to get the cards. visitor price are really ex sia.. even though i think everyone here prob knew..

oh can they do that? thats great!!!
i have 2 cards. coz i forgotten to bring mine on one occasion.
in that case, i wonder if i can transfer the balance to one of the card as well??
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 11:32 pm

Yeah something like 8cents-ish a ball.

Maybe they can transfer the balance, but I think the $5 card value is non refundable.
Back to top Go down
vyvy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
vyvy

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 11:35 pm

ya if u buy 80 balls for 7 bucks.. if buy 40 balls for 4 bucks.. = 10cents per ball!!!!
expensive sia..
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 12:02 am

Shocked Exorbitance!

Bishan 50 balls $3.20 only.

Mad
Back to top Go down
first_timerz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 8:14 am

chemicalpro wrote:
Shocked Exorbitance!

Mad

CP, bishan shop still carry nike clubs?
My wife wanna get slingshot , but wanna try wacking before getting it lei...
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 8:37 am

i spoke to a PRO at TP who is part of the committee and was told that that they ordered new and softer balls and will arrive in end Jan. However, no feedback on whether they will reduce their price.

My 2 sons learned golf there so no choice but to go there. If not, I will definitely boycott them. The price is too stiff even if u dun wanna use the Dunmb Scoring System.

Nowadays, range is only half full on Sunday afternoons and even many golfers complained about the price and heard many saying that they will not be there again.

I wonder how many % of golfers at the range make use of the Dumb Scoring System. The Mgt failed to realised that we just need good feel balls, good cushioned carpets and clean environment.

The people who made the decisions to acquire this Scoring System will hv to answer for it.

Looks like they paid a heavy price for implementing this new system.

LAst time, I will also hit some balls while my 2 boys are having lessons but I dun do that anymore. just hang around to watch my boys' lessons.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 9:26 am

first_timerz wrote:
chemicalpro wrote:
Shocked Exorbitance!

Mad

CP, bishan shop still carry nike clubs?
My wife wanna get slingshot , but wanna try wacking before getting it lei...

hi bro, I was there last night. They still have Nike clubs over there. Go check it out yea.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 9:55 am

hmmm anyone think the first two posts look a little fishy? anyways i've never been to tpy ever since they started the new playgolf system. i guess it's alright when you're with friends but going there alone for practice is a little redundant.

and poresia you're right. heads are gonna roll for this! a bad call on their part and i bet it cost quite a fair bit too!
Back to top Go down
vyvy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
vyvy

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 11:01 am

poresia wrote:
i spoke to a PRO at TP who is part of the committee and was told that that they ordered new and softer balls and will arrive in end Jan. However, no feedback on whether they will reduce their price.

My 2 sons learned golf there so no choice but to go there. If not, I will definitely boycott them. The price is too stiff even if u dun wanna use the Dunmb Scoring System.

Nowadays, range is only half full on Sunday afternoons and even many golfers complained about the price and heard many saying that they will not be there again.

I wonder how many % of golfers at the range make use of the Dumb Scoring System. The Mgt failed to realised that we just need good feel balls, good cushioned carpets and clean environment.

The people who made the decisions to acquire this Scoring System will hv to answer for it.

Looks like they paid a heavy price for implementing this new system.

LAst time, I will also hit some balls while my 2 boys are having lessons but I dun do that anymore. just hang around to watch my boys' lessons.
Ya man.. The balls are really too hard to hit. Then also cannot see where it land..
I really hope the management can do sth about it man..
I stay next o the range onli.. Its so near to me but yet all these other factors are detering me from gg there.. In the end, i have to make my way to bihan.. Sianz...
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 12:02 pm

I may give them another try come their new balls. And like vyvy said, its so near to our homes, but yet we go Bishan and elsewhere. They've become the LV of golf ranges, minus the quality Laughing
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 2:36 pm

I Agree. hehhee. BUt achieved its objectives. See the length of this thread now!

ironfist wrote:
hmmm anyone think the first two posts look a little fishy? anyways i've never been to tpy ever since they started the new playgolf system. i guess it's alright when you're with friends but going there alone for practice is a little redundant.

and poresia you're right. heads are gonna roll for this! a bad call on their part and i bet it cost quite a fair bit too!
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:00 pm

Ironfist,

You are right, I suspect the source of the positive feedback but I gave the benefit of doubt bcos everyone have their own preferences and opinion about anything.

Anyway, time will tell if that Scoring Sytem is a good business decision and whether it will survive.
Back to top Go down
vyvy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
vyvy

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:15 pm

chemicalpro wrote:
I may give them another try come their new balls. And like vyvy said, its so near to our homes, but yet we go Bishan and elsewhere. They've become the LV of golf ranges, minus the quality Laughing

CP, do feedback to us after you give it a try yeah?
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 6:42 pm

Yep. I actually look forward to once again wake up early on weekends to range. Starts the day off nicely, then in the arvo can nap better also Laughing
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 7:38 pm

actually i wouldn't mind heading down there with a bunch of my friends just to see whether i'd beat them. but it's definitely not a place where you seriously practice. usually on range mats i'd focus mainly on ball striking and not exactly where it lands.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 11:13 am

I heard a rumour that OCC might implement a similar system if TPY does well eventually.

What a waste of good grass hitting-surfaces.

CK
Back to top Go down
icejazz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
icejazz

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 10:44 pm

Don't really like the golf ball there. Feels like hitting stone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toa Payoh Driving Range   Toa Payoh Driving Range I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Toa Payoh Driving Range
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next