Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Replace with Hybrids?

Go down 
+15
Technospaz
aquaman
asahi
Ken00
blee67
slinger
pocketace
audi
snagy23
Derek
Newtogolf
enwee
chien
Turbo
jason.koh.54966
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

Replace with Hybrids? Empty
PostSubject: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi all,

I am still a newbie golfer, currently my used set consist of irons 3-PW, 3W,5W, Putter, 1 x Driver, and 1 x SW 55deg. Missing anything from the above combination?

Should I replace the 3i/4i to 3H and 4H? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Bro, it depends on your skill level. Not many social golfers can handle 3i & 4i "consistently" well ... I am no exception as I do not have the luxury of time to train ... I therefore shelved my 4i for the time being and replaced it with a 24 deg Nike VR II PRO hybrid recently ... I also do not used 3i ... I replaced it with a Cobra 20 deg Baffler PRO hybrid.

Nike Golf Cobra Smiley

Last edited by Turbo on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Dear Jason

I know I'm not a good player... Thus, I can only provide my personal experience...

Hell with the irons... I have hybrids.. Lots of them.. And I love them.... cheers

Play what you can use and perform best...

santa rendeer
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 11:26 pm

The day when I started with hybrid, i never even touch my 4 irons and above.
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 11:35 pm

jason.koh.54966 wrote:
Hi all,

I am still a newbie golfer, currently my used set consist of irons 3-PW, 3W,5W, Putter, 1 x Driver, and 1 x SW 55deg. Missing anything from the above combination?

Should I replace the 3i/4i to 3H and 4H? Laughing
Lose the 3I and 5W, add 2 more wedges to your arsenal. At least a lob wedge and a 50 - 52 degree wedge.

Yes, it sounds weird but personally, I touch my mid, short irons and wedges a lot.

Golf statistics don't lie. You spend more time on the short game than the long game.

Yes, it is fun seeing your balls take off like a fighter jet in the sky with a solid shot on your driver. Its like seeing who's got the longest d*** in the changing room. But that's not really going to matter if your short game and putting is bad.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 12:20 am

Not sure how confident you are with the 5 iron, but I have always advocated a 25 deg hybrid, aka 5 hybrid, as a beginner golfer's best friend.

Try a 5h and a 4h first, 3 hybrids are easier to handle than 3 irons but they are not exactly a walk in the park either.

Alternatively, get a 5 and a 3, and fill the gap when you can strike the 3 well enough that you have a pretty big gap between these clubs
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 12:26 am

i have tired woods and you only can choose 14 clubs in your bag.
So go for those that you know how to play and have higher percentage.
I agree with newtogolf, to drop some of the wood 1st, replace them with hybrids.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 1:30 am

if your ball lands into a thick rough, how can you use hybrid? u need 5i to whack it out and get some distance, using 7i or 9i also can, but distance wise not so far la...
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:46 am

Derek wrote:
Not sure how confident you are with the 5 iron, but I have always advocated a 25 deg hybrid, aka 5 hybrid, as a beginner golfer's best friend.

Try a 5h and a 4h first, 3 hybrids are easier to handle than 3 irons but they are not exactly a walk in the park either.

Alternatively, get a 5 and a 3, and fill the gap when you can strike the 3 well enough that you have a pretty big gap between these clubs

I tend to agree.
After playing for so many years, 3i and 4i got quickly replaced by hybrids
In fact these days, I don't even want a 5i in my bag. Gimme a 5h replacement any time. cheers
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 7:29 am

audi wrote:
if your ball lands into a thick rough, how can you use hybrid? u need 5i to whack it out and get some distance, using 7i or 9i also can, but distance wise not so far la...

Preferences differ I guess, in thick rough, I get much better results from a 5 hybrid compared to a 5 iron
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 8:46 am

Derek wrote:
audi wrote:

Preferences differ I guess, in thick rough, I get much better results from a 5 hybrid compared to a 5 iron

So says the former ksl strong 18 from MBGC.........

Beer
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 9:47 am

Derek wrote:

I cannot hit hybrid how?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Derek wrote:
audi wrote:

It depends how thick and deep is the rough. If it is ankle deep or worse, I dun think hybrid or 5i can help you ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 12:34 pm

blee wrote:

I cannot hit hybrid how?

Just hit it as if it is an iron ... Simply grip it and rip, bro! Cool
Back to top Go down
Ken00
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 12:37 pm

I never have any success with hitting irons out of thick rough. Due to the rough, my club face will delay closing so as to stay in the shot longer. Result is always a slice. Maybe I too noob. Hybrid, if in thick rough also no problem if u choked own and wack!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 12:38 pm

blee wrote:
Derek wrote:

I cannot hit hybrid how?

You dun need to.

yr woods are a killer!

Razz
Back to top Go down
aquaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aquaman

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Sharing my experience:
Started w a rescue mid 5 hybrid (25 deg) and a rescue mid 3 hybrid (19 deg).
Initially only able to launch the 5 hybrid (while still not able to launch 6i well, hence I am also a supporter for hybrid.
Now moved on to rescue mid 2/3/4 hybrid (found these from creative joe), old clubs but well trusted.
Have fun testing out hybrid.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 1:02 pm

asahi wrote:
blee wrote:
Derek wrote:

I cannot hit hybrid how?

You dun need to.

yr woods are a killer!

Razz

Woods recently not listening to instructions now lei.... Sad
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks for all the sharing and advises, greatly appreciated...Guessed I will start looking out for 3/4/5H to replace the 3-5 irons......
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 7:39 pm

In this case, can I remove my 3W, 5W , 3I, 4I, 5I and replaced with 3/4/5 Hybrids?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 7:45 pm

jason.koh.54966 wrote:
In this case, can I remove my 3W, 5W , 3I, 4I, 5I and replaced with 3/4/5 Hybrids?

I suggest u try a 4H first before making further purchase....

Pls keep the 3w n 5w.....

I suggest u practice the 5w on the range rather than the 3w.... The 5w is quite a useful club in the bag.....
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 9:48 pm

slinger wrote:
jason.koh.54966 wrote:

I suggest u try a 4H first before making further purchase....

Pls keep the 3w n 5w.....

I suggest u practice the 5w on the range rather than the 3w.... The 5w is quite a useful club in the bag.....

Thanks Bro! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 10:05 pm

Turbo wrote:
Derek wrote:
audi wrote:

It depends how thick and deep is the rough. If it is ankle deep or worse, I dun think hybrid or 5i can help you ... Laughing

true. it depends how deep the rough is. if too deep, i have more chances getting it out using 5i rather than 5h. here rough all damn thick one
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 8:57 am

I'm proud to say that I've relinquished my long irons. No point shaming myself on the course just to have a nicer WITB Smile

These days, I carry:

- 14.5 Adams 3W Super XTD
- 20.5 Cleveland 3H
- 23 Cleveland 4H
- 26 Cleveland 5H

(and I play the 6i-9i).

I may even play a 18 Adams FW but that depends on the course.
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 9:15 am

I have a 5 iron and I can't hit it. So I got myself a rescue/hybrid to replace it. My 5 iron is still in my bag but for display only. Hopefully one day I can hit it. LOL!!!

I don't have a 3W, can't handle it. I am happy with my 5W & 7W.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replace with Hybrids?   Replace with Hybrids? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replace with Hybrids?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next