Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hybrids to replace irons

Go down 
+15
ironfist
RogY
Uncle Lau
slinger
S70B
jaketang
Ken_
nutty88
Lamts18
22tang
nientsu
Roystonnn
Dstruc
Technospaz
andrewlee
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
andrewlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
andrewlee

Hybrids to replace irons Empty
PostSubject: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:02 am

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting to a set of hybrid to replace MOST of my irons....

Is it wise to do that as i'm hitting well with my hybrids.

3H-3I
4H-4I
5H-5I
7I
9I
PW.

I normally don't carry my even number irons.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:05 am

I think hybrids work well for the longer irons. So, I would agree that if you're comfortable replacing the 3-5is, then it works for you. Golf is a very individual sport so what works for others may not always work for you.

For me, my bag now consists of:

Driver
3W - hardly ever used. More for deco really and my tiger headcover
3H 20.5˚ - nice
5H 25˚ - also nice
4-9i - though I'm thinking of removing the 4i altogether
PW
52˚ & 60˚ wedges
Putttttter Razz
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:16 am

andrewlee wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting to a set of hybrid to replace MOST of my irons....

Is it wise to do that as i'm hitting well with my hybrids.

3H-3I
4H-4I
5H-5I
7I
9I
PW.

I normally don't carry my even number irons.

Thanks.

Since you hitting well with your hybrids, Why Not! As long as you cover the various distance...
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:19 am

Ya.. just as long as your score is good. who cares.. I am looking out for hybrid to replace 3i first.. then in future probably replace 4i if needed.

Then u gota go try out and find the hybrid u like...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:21 am

Roystonnn wrote:
Ya.. just as long as your score is good. who cares.. I am looking out for hybrid to replace 3i first.. then in future probably replace 4i if needed.

Then u gota go try out and find the hybrid u like...

Ultraman has a lovely Cobra Baffler TWS 20˚ which he was keen to sell. Dunno if he still has it. Great club!
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:25 am

Oh Oh, i would like to try it!
Have not tried baffler before..

Where is ultraman? Its been some time since I last watch ultraman.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:25 am

I have come across this guy who trains on the range with a 3 iron. Though he for one admits that it is damn freaking difficult, he cliams that it helps him in his ball striking cos the margin of error is just so thin. But he seldom uses it on the course as he has hybrids. He says once you can hit with a 3i, hydribs are a piece of cake!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:27 am

nientsu wrote:
I have come across this guy who trains on the range with a 3 iron. Though he for one admits that it is damn freaking difficult, he cliams that it helps him in his ball striking cos the margin of error is just so thin. But he seldom uses it on the course as he has hybrids. He says once you can hit with a 3i, hydribs are a piece of cake!

Once you can hit a 3i, 2i or 1i well, you should be able to hit almost every club in your bag.
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:20 am

I also replace my 3i and 4 i with hybrids.

But when my ball sit more than half in a rough, then iron is still a better club. But that just me. Most of the time, I punch out with a shorter iron but 1 extra stroke.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:27 am

There are some iron sets which comes in a hybrid design for the whole set.. 3 - SW... Adams, Cobra and Thomas Golf etc.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:28 am

22tang wrote:
Most of the time, I punch out with a shorter iron but 1 extra stroke.

That's called "smart play" Smile I should do that too... Often, I think I'm Seve and pretend that I can hit balls from off any surface (incl. the car park). Of course, I can't... and the results show in my scores.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:29 am

Lamts18 wrote:
There are some iron sets which comes in a hybrid design for the whole set.. 3 - SW... Adams, Cobra and Thomas Golf etc.

and mizuno MX-950 as well. 3i and 41 are replaced by hydrids.
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:30 am

Bro, car park? Damage yr clubs leh ...

Technospaz wrote:
22tang wrote:

That's called "smart play" Smile I should do that too... Often, I think I'm Seve and pretend that I can hit balls from off any surface (incl. the car park). Of course, I can't... and the results show in my scores.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:30 am

Technospaz wrote:
22tang wrote:

you can practice more... but not in your sheltered car park... Laughing
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

Technospaz wrote:
22tang wrote:

Heard that he is capable of hitting a bunker shot with a 3i affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:34 am

nientsu wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
22tang wrote:

Not surprising to me.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:39 am

22tang wrote:

Technospaz wrote:
22tang wrote:

Aren't you familiar with the famous Seve car park shot?
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 1:34 pm

nientsu wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
22tang wrote:

Not difficult to hit a 3i in a bunker leh. But don't know where the ball will go. Mostly still in the bunker I guess. lol! Beer
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 2:54 pm

No leh, any picture ...

Technospaz wrote:
22tang wrote:

Technospaz wrote:
22tang wrote:

Aren't you familiar with the famous Seve car park shot?
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 3:20 pm

Bro 22tang.... you can goggle for more info.... If i'm not wrong, its was during the British Open in year 1977 ? when he won it.... (hope my memory serves me correctly)
Back to top Go down
Ken_
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ken_

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 3:21 pm

nientsu wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:

and mizuno MX-950 as well. 3i and 41 are replaced by hydrids.

I play with the Mizuno MX-950, but the Japanese spec version (what you buy in Singapore Golf House) comes with only the 4 hybrid (no 3 hybrid). It has a gap wedge though, so it's not bad.

I find the 4 hybrid very nice, and wish I had the 3 hybrid as well. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 3:22 pm

22tang wrote:

But when my ball sit more than half in a rough, then iron is still a better club. But that just me. Most of the time, I punch out with a shorter iron but 1 extra stroke.

i thgt hybrids n rescue clubs are to replace the irons for shots in the rough? their wide and heavy base prevent the club head from "biting" compare to irons..

i m confused....
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 3:47 pm

OK, Mr. LAM ... I will try later Laughing

Lamts18 wrote:
Bro 22tang.... you can goggle for more info.... If i'm not wrong, its was during the British Open in year 1977 ? when he won it.... (hope my memory serves me correctly)
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Maybe that me lor, I am not so confident of this kind of shot. Can't practise in the range with such lie.

jaketang wrote:
22tang wrote:

i thgt hybrids n rescue clubs are to replace the irons for shots in the rough? their wide and heavy base prevent the club head from "biting" compare to irons..

i m confused....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 4:35 pm

jaketang wrote:
22tang wrote:

i m confused....

That was the original plan, IMHO. However, I think hybrids became so popular and easy to use as compared to long irons that people started hopping over to hybrids in place of their irons. I still prefer some irons as compared to hybrids but you are right, when I'm in the semi-rough, the easiest escape is with a hybrid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hybrids to replace irons   Hybrids to replace irons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hybrids to replace irons
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next