Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do I need to replace this wedge?

Go down 
+11
kenneth18
paul@golf
enwee
daveteh
Turbo
asahi
neutralgolfer
Duval_S
angyongshen
Pizzaman
dionpratama
15 posters
AuthorMessage
dionpratama
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dionpratama

Do I need to replace this wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 10:12 am

Hi guys, I've been using this wedge for around 1 year, and the combination of this BFG head and spinner shaft is the best feeling wedge that I've tried so far. 

I use the v1x bent to 52 and the v9x bent to 58. The condition of the v1x is still good, but the v9x, not so much as you can see in the picture below.
Do I need to replace this wedge? CAM00514_1_zpsndtlg90d

Do I need to replace this wedge? CAM00517_1_zpsyohyvnks

Is it time to replace the head? or is it fixable? How this condition will affect my shot? 

I have a feel that this condition lesser the amount of spin that I got, but maybe it's just my feelings, haven't done a proper test in the simulator.
Back to top Go down
Pizzaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Pizzaman

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 10:47 am

It's about time to change a new one … cheers 
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 11:13 am

Are you in the bunkers often? this kind of wear in 1 year is quite serious amount of game time. At that level, I believe you will be able to feel accurately if you are losing spin. Of cos, you can confirm your suspicion at the place you got the wedge. Maybe at the same time place an order for another.   Beer  Beer Beer  Beer  

TGIF
Back to top Go down
dionpratama
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dionpratama

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 11:40 am

Actually i don't play that often. On average, I practice at the range once/week and I play at the course 1/2 times per month only. That's why I'm a bit surprised that the v9x worn so much while the v1x still looks good.

Time to visit BFG Jkt I suppose =D
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 2:06 pm

Is your result compromised as a result of this? If not...still can use.la.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 3:24 pm

On the mental aspect, I think it's good that you change.... you may be suspecting the club will spin as it should be...  What a Face 
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 4:01 pm

No need ah....just cosmetic scratches.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 10:20 pm

I believe not necessary as the grooves still look deep from the pic ... It is the grooves that create the spin ...
Back to top Go down
daveteh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
daveteh

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 11:56 pm

Wow...looks like you used it for farming instead of golfing. Smile a good time to change to a new one.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 6:44 am

Can u feel the grooves? If can never mind, if no change lor. Don't forget there's are wedges made to rust in the market.
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
paul@golf

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 7:24 am

Mine V1x oso turned out like tat, no issue in performance, jus play more, as bro enwee said, its e feel of e grooves  Laughing
Back to top Go down
dionpratama
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dionpratama

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi guys thanks for the many great reply here. 

Question from Duval really made me think, and I believe my lousy score was not caused by this condition. 

Appreciate the comments guys
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 1:02 am

dionpratama wrote:
Hi guys thanks for the many great reply here. 

Question from Duval really made me think, and I believe my lousy score was not caused by this condition. 

Appreciate the comments guys

Unless you've alot of disposable income, you should only consider replacing a wedge if its grooves and/or its camber (i.e. bounce) have worn out significantly ...  Cool
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 8:46 am

By looking at the pics, I think the grooves are still deep enough. Maybe the appearance made you mentally feel your wedge is damaged and you will associate your performance to the wedge. Why not pay a visit to BFG for Eric to confirm?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 9:57 am

The scratches on the sole will not affect the performance.

If you mind the visual of it, can get a clubfitter to grind the sole to smoothen out the surface.
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 6:35 pm

Maybe you can consider sending the wedge in for a re-finish. Torch blue finish seems to be the next in thing, looks nice and unique. Maybe the customized finish will hold up better.
Back to top Go down
kuuligan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 11:07 pm

holy moly! have you been using the wedge on concrete? I've been using my 62 since 2001 and its no where near that badly damaged lol

thumbs up sir
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 8:22 am

Please throw the wedge away ... it is completely unusable ....

p.s. If you don't mind, please throw it away near my house so that I can pick it up and use for another 2 years ...  tongue 

On a more serious note, i don't think the performance will be affected, but if mentally you are affected, then should buy a new one ... after all, past a certain level of physical proficiency, golf is 99% mental
Back to top Go down
mulligan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mulligan

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:32 am

perhaps,DG man might want to take note that the chrome plating is
not thick enough for normal wear and tear usage.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:47 am

run your finger nails through the grooves...especially the first 5 or 6 from the sole up....if you can still feel the grooves, its still ok...you can compare that with the top few grooves to get a sense of whether its worn out or not.

as for the sole, its still in pretty good shape. like Asahi have said, if you wish to get a clean up, you can always send it in for a quick soft grind to get some marks off. the alternative is hit about 10 shots in a bunker with soft sand, making sure you make contact with the sole and it will actually "clean up".

hope it helps....DGman

PS, too much chrome will take away a lot of feel. also the new rules on grooves meant the depth of the grooves cannot be too deep and hence they do not last as long as box grooves.

just received this photo from our Malaysian office yesterday.....

Do I need to replace this wedge? 13947740010_ab57a14af5_c
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
dionpratama
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dionpratama

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi guys, thanks so much for the input. I haven't had time to bring it to BFG Jakarta though, been kinda busy lately. 

DGMan, that looks beautiful!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to replace this wedge?   Do I need to replace this wedge? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do I need to replace this wedge?
Page 1 of 1