Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do we still need to use 4 irons?

Go down 
+41
schnell
shamusan
simoner
joetan_sin
luffy
youming
TDO
Derek
vhew
eqtrend
adenn20
sunnydaze
rla
jimmchew
Sutos101
fatmax
ringrain_78
Peterinjb
NikeN
kangster
mrkatsucurry
GPRO-Ricky Cheng
Newtogolf
enwee
Slicer51
Quest
nutty88
audi
Turbo
ThomasTan
fata
blee67
Happy Feet
Technospaz
jurongtiger
renode
Begbie
haragolfer
bluebiscuits
onime
dyeosh
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
sunnydaze
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 12:22 am

I am picking up my 4i again now that I am hitting ok with my 5i.
Back to top Go down
adenn20
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 1:13 am

I will choke down on her slightly, take a nice wide stance, ball fwd of sternum,
with the tempo of my wedge, swing down to compress and take a nice divot.

Helps with my long iron contact.

Just my humble take ...
cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
kangster
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kangster

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 pm

After a good long long 10 golfing years.... with my 3 and 4 irons...

is going to plunge into the Hybrid/Rescue/Wood region in the coming Isetan sale.

Wish me luck!

Hee Ha :-)
Back to top Go down
eqtrend
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 2:34 pm

I still like hitting 4i vs Hybrid.

For whatever reasons, I can not seem to control hybrid consistently. For easy of hitting, I agree hybrid is much easier to get ball up and longer but least my missed 4i will not miss green left/right by 20 to 30 meters. Usually I tend to suffer distance from missed 4i not dispersion and this is main reason why I still use 4i

Back to top Go down
vhew
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Also thinking about dropping the 3i and getting a rescue/hybrid.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 11:27 pm

eqtrend wrote:
I still like hitting 4i vs Hybrid.

For whatever reasons, I can not seem to control hybrid consistently. For easy of hitting, I agree hybrid is much easier to get ball up and longer but least my missed 4i will not miss green left/right by 20 to 30 meters. Usually I tend to suffer distance from missed 4i not dispersion and this is main reason why I still use 4i

Stick a light steel shaft on your hybrid and try it again?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 11:28 pm

vhew wrote:

May I ask how well you hit you 4i and 5i?
Back to top Go down
vhew
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 11:32 pm

Derek wrote:
vhew wrote:

5i i hit pretty consistent, around 165-170m. 4i is a bit of a hit and miss...around 180m
Back to top Go down
vhew
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 11:35 pm

Derek wrote:
vhew wrote:

I just saw your club list. Looks like you are pro hybrids. Would you consider going back to irons or were the hybrids game changes for you?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 11:43 pm

I only use my 4i for Par 3 tee shot. Can't seem to handle it on the fairway nowadays. Sad Keep slicing. Damned!
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 1:26 am

vhew wrote:
Derek wrote:
vhew wrote:

I just saw your club list. Looks like you are pro hybrids. Would you consider going back to irons or were the hybrids game changes for you?

I'm not really pro any style of club, be it woods, irons or hybrids. I am just a big fan on whatever gets the job done.

The first set I bought (TM XR-08) had super strong lofts and longer than normal, link below

http://www.progolfjapan.com/nk_1301_2008xrirong1/

I did not know at the time that the 5,6 and 7 of my set was equivalent to a 3,4,5 on a set with standard lofts. All I knew was that I had neither the talent or swing speed to hit even the 7 properly, let alone the 5 iron. In any case, I had bought a 25 deg R flex TM burner rescue at the same time and found that much easier to use. On the range it was easier but the real magic was on the course. I could at least advance the ball even on shots that would have resulted in complete duffs if I was using long irons.

I was also having lessons at that time at JCC and having a couple of sessions at the range and exec course specifically on using the hybrid really helped.

I still practiced with the longer irons, hoping to one day learn how to hit them, but on the course, the hybrid always gave better results.

Along the way, I also picked up a 28deg hybrid in a light steel shaft to replace my 6 iron. However, that club is now with my spare set.

I used to use 18 deg hybrid cos I could not handle woods off the deck, the shorter hybrid was easier even at the same loft. But I have now progressed to using a 5 wood off the deck. The 3-wood is strictly for use off the tee on some holes. At 13.5 or 15 deg, it will probably go shorter than my 18 deg 5 wood off the deck given my swing speed and ball striking level.

If my swing was good enough such that the dispersion, both direction and distance, was as good with a long iron and it's equivalent hybrid, I would probably be indifferent to either.

However, given club design and physics, that is unlikely to happen for me. I like clubs that try their best to send the ball straight even when I put my lousy swing to it. The hybrid is going to outperform the long iron in every department given my slow swing and lack of talent.

And if a genie comes along and magically adds 20mph to my swing speed, I might think of replacing my 5 hybrid with the 5 iron. As for the 3i and 4i, if more than half of the touring pros have hybrids in their bags as replacements for one or both of these clubs, there must be a good reason why they are doing it right?
Back to top Go down
youming
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 10:16 am

I still have Iron 4 in my bag. The best part is that if the head wind is very storng, I will use it for a ponch short (easy swing), it make the ball flight is much lower than my other club, so that the ball can stiraght to green, but the ponch short distance is only can reach about 160meter.

YM
Back to top Go down
luffy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 am

I still do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfing.com.sg
joetan_sin
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 11:00 am

The 4 iron is still an important club. You can do a long par 3..approx 175-185m.
Also a low punch shot if you need to get it under a tree or something. Hybrid shot
is too high, can't do that.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 am

at the risk of generalising ... I am guessing the 3 of you above have swing speeds (driver) above 100mph and can drive the ball (carry + roll) more than 250m (on a good drive)?
Back to top Go down
youming
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 11:53 am

Hi, Derek, I don't know my swing speed, my driver is CG black, if I hit correct, normally at 220 meters.

YM
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 12:05 pm

But yes, I have to admit, hybrids for low punch shots under tree branches are absolutely useless ... those are one of the few times I wish I had a 3 or 4 iron in the bag
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 12:08 pm

Derek wrote:
But yes, I have to admit, hybrids for low punch shots under tree branches are absolutely useless ... those are one of the few times I wish I had a 3 or 4 iron in the bag

I would normal use my 5i or choke-down 3h for low punch shots. At times, it works great, other times, it sucks.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 pm

derek derek...

4i is a must... i just took out my 2i recently in favour of a 4w...

but i still play my 4i to abt 20 degrees loft wihich is between a 2i and 3i...

and my game is as messed up as ever...
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 12:33 pm

At times when in tight situation like there's an overhanging tree branch, I would use driver, 3W or 5W depending on the height of the overhang branch. It got me out of trouble a number of time already.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 pm

TDO wrote:
At times when in tight situation like there's an overhanging tree branch, I would use driver, 3W or 5W depending on the height of the overhang branch. It got me out of trouble a number of time already.

Couldnt agree more with you on that.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Derek wrote:
at the risk of generalising ... I am guessing the 3 of you above have swing speeds (driver) above 100mph and can drive the ball (carry + roll) more than 250m (on a good drive)?

Bro Derek, my swing speed is below 100 and I still use my 4i. Unfortunately my set doesn't come with a 3i or else I would use it too. Somehow I always badly hook my hybrid.
Back to top Go down
schnell
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
schnell

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 1:59 pm

i find irons are easier to play punch shots from under the tree (waywardness of driver allows me lotsa practice). A half swing is more than enough to get the ball forward about 120m for my 5i for a hip level punch shot..very useful to use under trees.

personally i find that my 4 hybrid gives me more distance than my 4 iron..mostly due to the additional mass behind the face that generates more distance..
Back to top Go down
angeldogleslie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angeldogleslie

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Yes, i do use my 4i for long par3s off the tee and also to punch shots when i am caught near trees.

Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Sorry, off-topic a bit.

Do you know that if you are using a blade putter, you can hit the ball the left-handed way if you are ever caught in a situation where you ball rests near a tree that prevented you from hitting a proper escape shot to the fairway. I used this method a number of times too, with success. It also apply when your ball landed near the lateral water hazard on the left where you are unable to hit it unless you stand in the water. Sometimes standing in the water is not possible if it's too deep. Again the blade putter come into play. And you can hit it about 15m to 20m safely to the fairway. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do we still need to use 4 irons?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next