Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mid Irons and long irons...setup

Go down 
+9
b.b.carabanesis
duffader
BabyCroc
watermyforrest
wilkang
asahi
Technospaz
Begbie
Duval_S
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Mid Irons and long irons...setup Empty
PostSubject: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:09 pm

So here is what I got myself evolved into.

Previously, my setup ie feet was parallel to my target (ok..supposedly target). What happen was I have difficulty getting good contact and if I did, the flight of the ball will do a fade type flt path.

But after some experimenting and thinking....I begin to setup with a more open stance....and I am hitting it better...ball flt also a bit straighter with a tinge of fade and with pretty good result in my last game at Octville....my self conceived rationale is , by open stance, it allow a 'fat and old' guy like me to clear my hip faster to allow my arms to swing thru.

Anybody with such setup and realization? I know....talk to pro will be the best to go and I agree...but just want to have a feeler if any bros or sistas are having my same prob.
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Duval,

The same happened to me, with the square stance to target, I somehow felt a restricted follow thru. Meaning the path of clubhead is restricted square of target, which I typically end up with a fade at 3/4 of the ball flight. Eventually I am losing some distance due to this.

I tried the same with a slight open stance and when I do get good contact with the ball, it flies straighter and more penetrating with a slight draw. It does help to get the hips to clear faster and thus using more of my bigger muscles (hips and shoulders) than my arm.

If it works for you, why not go for it?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm also trying an open stance since it allows the body to turn... but then again, I've got more girth to cover Smile
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Ok. Noted. Legs open big big.
Will try it out tmr at range. Razz
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Am evolving through this stage too esp for longer irons.

I'm currently adjusting ball position.
e.g. 5 iron - ball position off centre to the left and a flatter swing, standing more upright.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:34 pm

asahi wrote:

Warning.... Don't hit the wrong balls.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:43 pm

You mean, stroke the wrong balls!?

Indecent act leh, can be caught by mata. Haha
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Duval_S wrote:
So here is what I got myself evolved into.

Previously, my setup ie feet was parallel to my target (ok..supposedly target). What happen was I have difficulty getting good contact and if I did, the flight of the ball will do a fade type flt path.

But after some experimenting and thinking....I begin to setup with a more open stance....and I am hitting it better...ball flt also a bit straighter with a tinge of fade and with pretty good result in my last game at Octville....my self conceived rationale is , by open stance, it allow a 'fat and old' guy like me to clear my hip faster to allow my arms to swing thru.

Anybody with such setup and realization? I know....talk to pro will be the best to go and I agree...but just want to have a feeler if any bros or sistas are having my same prob.

Have the same problem with clearing my hips fast enough to let the hands get through also. Tried that out with the open stance which you mentioned and it seems to go alot straighter with clearer contact too. Seems like it works!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 4:26 pm

Funny why u guys never work on the tempo. It's all bout timing when it comes to irons.
Back to top Go down
b.b.carabanesis
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
b.b.carabanesis

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm

A slow and steady back swing with a follow-through will help too!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 4:45 pm

b.b.carabanesis wrote:

Amen to that, sister.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 4:47 pm

b.b.carabanesis wrote:

Hahahha.. yah.. if swing tempo fast, hence hip got to clear fast... if tempo nice and steady, should have enough time for hips to clear.... longer the iron, the smoother the temp.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 5:06 pm

no wonder my iron shots suck ...
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 5:09 pm

zhenxua wrote:

nevermind lah.. u dun need those shots anyway. You are most of the time a wedge only.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Agree. I saw shorthitter on Sunday. Among other tips, slow steady takeaway did the trick

it allows me to takeaway the club in the correct path

it allows me to have more complete turn

gives me time to initiate my down swing by clearing my left side

automatically the club will come down from the inside
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 6:07 pm

zhenxua wrote:

*buzz*
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:51 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
asahi wrote:

Warning.... Don't hit the wrong balls.

OUCH!!!!

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL lol! lol! lol! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 1:06 am

wider stance for longer irons / people whose swing is predominantly using the upper body rather than the "turning" kind... saw this from a book called golf RX ..

enjoy the game =)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mid Irons and long irons...setup   Mid Irons and long irons...setup I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mid Irons and long irons...setup
Page 1 of 1