Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Long and short irons

Go down 
+4
Derek
Duval_S
Elysium
aural
8 posters
AuthorMessage
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

Long and short irons Empty
PostSubject: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:06 pm

My shorter irons as usual hit shorter distance

Pw - 80m
9i - 90 to 100
8i - 100-110
7i - 110-120

My longer irons like 4 and 5 ended up shorter than 7i most of the time and I also feel the contact is not as solid. .
I do not usually practice them but are longer irons harder to hit for you too?
Back to top Go down
Elysium
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Yea I have a similar problem.

My 3 and 4 are similar distance and gap between them are maybe 2-3m apart.
P-5 distance gap is about 7-8m.
(Using the Callaway FT I-Brid as my 3 and 4 irons, almost hybrid like)

Only time I can see my 3 and 4 get a nice gap or go the supposed estimated distance is when I use them to tee off.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:40 pm

I removed my long irons ie (3 and 4), from my bag since the day I can play golf.

PS: Tell you a secret, my #5 is solely for long par 3 only...and also to help in balancing my bag.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi Aural,

It is generally accepted that it is harder to get proper contact with the longer irons as opposed to the shorter ones. That is one of the big reasons for the popularity of hybrids, which generally are easier to launch and designed as replacements for long irons.

While I would recommend buying a nice friendly and forgiving hybrid (they are pretty cheap if purchased 2nd hand), don't give up practicing with the long irons, you'll get it one day, but it might take a while ...

As for me, the set I normally play with stops at 5 iron, and I have 2 hybrids (25 degree and 19 degree) to replace the rest. I still practice my 3 and 4 irons, but it might take a long time more before I get consistent enough to use them on the course

Derek
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 7:56 pm

I have a #3 wood and that I removed from my bag collecting dust at home replced with #3 & #4 hybrid;)

And I only use #5 iron for long par three. I leave my #4 iron in the bag for the sole purpose to scoop ball out of water
Back to top Go down
Lion Iron
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lion Iron

PostSubject: Re: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:28 pm

Share the same sentiment - stop at #5 and using hybrid (I only have 1), no wood. I noticed there are distance that are not covered like 150-180m. This is obvious when on long par 3 and on par 5 where there is still a long distance to cover after T-off. Want to work on consistency and accuracy of the few clubs in the bag before adding on others.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Usually a combination of "lack of compression", slower swing speeds, incorrect shaft/equipment. Best to have your swing analysed by a qualified professional and your equipment fitted to suit your swing. Most that have this problem will look like the picture below at impact

Long and short irons Ty110

Instead of this (same guy after some lessons)

Long and short irons Ty211
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Usually a combination of "lack of compression", slower swing speeds, incorrect shaft/equipment. Best to have your swing analysed by a qualified professional and your equipment fitted to suit your swing. Most that have this problem will look like the picture below at impact

Long and short irons Ty110

Instead of this (same guy after some lessons)

Long and short irons Ty211

Thanks for pointing that out. But like to ask your opinion, Since we all know there is one stroke for all clubs, should the swing speed be the same for all clubs given they are all irons and assuming we are not trying to hit short but full potential of the irons.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:07 pm

why so fuss about swing speed, u can't measure it out on course or at the range without a radar, i would be more concern about maintaining the same tempo and rhythm throughout all your clubs. that would result in a more consistent swing and also distance. So you don't swing harder on long irons and go easy on short irons or vice versa, if u are using a certain tempo, maintain that tempo through the various clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Same speed for all irons (assuming a standard shot). The length of the shaft and loft of the club will dictate the distance and height of the shot. Most try to swing the longer clubs harder which isn't necessary.
If your technique and club fitting is correct, you should have 10-15 m gaps between each iron using the same swing speed.
As an example for me if i hit full shot with 9 iron it carries 125m. The same swing speed with a 5 iron carries 170m.
This is why we have all the different clubs in the set. They are designed to do different things
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks for the good advice from all. Now got to cite myself up with every shot. Mind over body. I tell myself use same tempo and blah blah but straight after the back swing........ The mind somehow relax and tempo, swing harder and such. The only good thing is my 7i hit badly still can go but shorter but the 5 and 4i....

Haste make waste, I'll train harder and smarter(hopefully). Afterall I might be expecting too much from myself also.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long and short irons   Long and short irons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Long and short irons
Page 1 of 1