Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Long Irons not that long? What's wrong?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Long Irons not that long? What's wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Long Irons not that long? What's wrong?   Long Irons not that long? What's wrong? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 am

I dont know if you guys have this problem. My Iron distances (Metres, Total) are not increasing much beyond the 7 iron. Anyone have gone to a coach on this issue before?

52-100m
P-115m
9-125m
8-135m
7- 145m
6-150m
5-155m
4-160m

Driver: 200-220m
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Long Irons not that long? What's wrong?   Long Irons not that long? What's wrong? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:24 am

For 7 and below, I stand more vertical over the ball. For 6-4, I setup with a more flatter lie. Other than that, I use the same swing through my irons.

Above distances are at the range, very little roll. Trajectories seem right. Shots are mid height with draw.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Long Irons not that long? What's wrong?   Long Irons not that long? What's wrong? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 am

Dont bother. Go hybrid from 6 iron up. Straighter, higher , longer.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Long Irons not that long? What's wrong?   Long Irons not that long? What's wrong? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:38 am

There could be many reasons, without looking at your swing, I can only think of the following;

1. Your swing - maybe you are scooping the ball, not hitting down
2. Club head speed - not enough club head speed to propel the ball further. For longer irons, you need higher club head speed.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Long Irons not that long? What's wrong?   Long Irons not that long? What's wrong? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 am

I agree with neutralgolfer's train of thoughts for this case ...
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Long Irons not that long? What's wrong?   Long Irons not that long? What's wrong? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:48 am

Actually, play on course then measure. Because when you play 6iron or 5iron into the green, the roll is more than you think, so distances are longer
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Long Irons not that long? What's wrong?   Long Irons not that long? What's wrong? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 am

Haragolfer: agree that on the course there is more roll off 5-iron. Will also experiment switching to hybrids for 4/3 irons

Neutralgolfer: hmm.. maybe I'll get some stats checked at trackman to see if swingspeed is the problem for the longer irons.
Back to top Go down
gohkunyang
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Long Irons not that long? What's wrong?   Long Irons not that long? What's wrong? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 11:06 am

Hi Buweeza,

like they say there can be many reasons behind this and because I haven't actually seen how efficient your swing is, I really cannot give you advice on this issue (don't want to give you the wrong advice). If you are interested, I can help you take a look if you want and see what we can do from there. I recently help a lady gain 20+ meters after a 1 hour lesson so I believe I can try to work something out with your swing....

PM me if you need my details buddy!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Irons not that long? What's wrong?   Long Irons not that long? What's wrong? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Long Irons not that long? What's wrong?
Page 1 of 1