Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do we still need to use 4 irons?

Go down 
+41
schnell
shamusan
simoner
joetan_sin
luffy
youming
TDO
Derek
vhew
eqtrend
adenn20
sunnydaze
rla
jimmchew
Sutos101
fatmax
ringrain_78
Peterinjb
NikeN
kangster
mrkatsucurry
GPRO-Ricky Cheng
Newtogolf
enwee
Slicer51
Quest
nutty88
audi
Turbo
ThomasTan
fata
blee67
Happy Feet
Technospaz
jurongtiger
renode
Begbie
haragolfer
bluebiscuits
onime
dyeosh
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
dyeosh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:35 am

Technospaz wrote:
Frankly, my take is how comfortable are you playing with a 4i?

I played with a good golfer recently who (just to humor us, I guess... or embarrass us) played most of his game using a driving iron. That's like a 1i or a 0i. He could launch it without problems and it produced crazy distances. It was fun to watch, though somewhat demoralizing.

So, if you are comfortable with a 4i, then there's little to ask. If you are not, then opt instead for a hybrid or some other option.

Of late, I'm learning to put pride aside in place of a better game. I used to think that a 5i is the furthest I'd go but I'm not good enough to even hit that steadily. So, I've opted instead to ditch the 5i and used a 5H in its place. Sad, but true.

I know another top golfer here who scores regularly in the low 80s and high 70s who also has a 5H. A fool, some might say... but who cares what's in his bag if he can produce a game which many can only dream about Smile

Currently I am very comfortable very my 5i, I still have not gather the courage to it use on the course, think I will start to practice on the range with 4.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:48 am

Don't fit your bag based on what others think will suit you. Fit your bag based on what you know will suit you.
Back to top Go down
Happy Feet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 am

Quote :
Technospaz wrote:
Don't fit your bag based on what others think will suit you. Fit your bag based on what you know will suit you.

sound like one of the kennedy speech
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:05 am

Happy Feet wrote:
Quote :
Technospaz wrote:

sound like one of the kennedy speech

Donts ask what the country can do for you. Ask what you cam do for your country.......

Dont ask what the 4 iron can do for you , ask what You can do dor your game.

I spend 1 hour at the range perfectng a 4 iron shot. Bring on course, bad lie , downward sloping water in front of green all cannot play. Hit also usually top or and hook. 1 hour on chipping or 50 m shots. Everywheer can use on the course.maybe people even clap when i land one close to pin.

Who am i kidding? What accuracy do i have from 150plus meters out. That which rory can do, i cannot.
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:08 am

The game is already challenging as it is. Why make it more difficult for ourselves? 5i is the longest iron in my bag & I use a 21 deg hybrid to cover for the 3i & 4i. Haven't missed these 2 irons for many years & don't think I'll go back to them anytime soon.

From the rough, other than the hybrid, the longest iron I take is a 7. Damage limitation is my primary concern. Get it 3-on, as the possibility of a 2-on not high.

Why not go to the range & check the distance that you can consistently hit with the 4i? Hit 10 shots, & take out the 2 best & 2 worst shots. Average the remaining 6 shots & you'll know the distance. Also a good opportunity to see the shot deviation. 4i is not easy to manage & a hybrid would most probably provide a more consistent result.

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:20 am

I though I have mention this before. I still using my 4 iron and loving it but it is for adjusting my air condition vents at home clown pig
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 am

Slicer51 wrote:
I though I have mention this before. I still using my 4 iron and loving it but it is for adjusting my air condition vents at home clown pig

LOL! Best. Post. This. Morning. Smile
Back to top Go down
dyeosh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:36 am

Technospaz wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:

LOL! Best. Post. This. Morning. Smile

Thanks for all the information guys.
Back to top Go down
Happy Feet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:41 am

I think if you want to play like pro....one should dress like pro.....period

the WITB can be different
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:45 am

Happy Feet wrote:
I think if you want to play like pro....one should dress like pro.....period

the WITB can be different
Actually I think the finishing pose is more important.

Btw, my 4 iron always in the storeroom from day 1 until i sold my last set, with the wrapper not even open.
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 am

Still using my 4I if I lack the confidence to use my 3W or 2H (18 degree) from the rough.

However still trying to get a more decent and consistent shot from my 4I rather than topping it every now and then....
Back to top Go down
GPRO-Ricky Cheng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 12:32 pm

lol! I HIT IT LOL
Slicer51 wrote:
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Shouldn't you strike the 4i like a 5i?

Same ball position like 5i?

Or maybe it's more a psychological thing, ie all that marketing hype about long iron replacements.
Back to top Go down
kangster
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kangster

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Now using my new golf set 5-sw, supplement with
old 4 iron. Just becos new set start from 5... Haiz...
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Start to used my 4i after loosing confident on my wood and hybrid. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dyeosh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 3:23 pm

After posting this question, I had changed my irons, no more 4i in the bag now........

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Peterinjb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 4:10 pm

i dun play that well, and sometimes i can't even drive properly. I hardly use my 3 wood.

But, i do focus alot on iron play and i love to hit long irons off the tee. It took me a while but i'm now able to hit 200m off the tee with 3i, and i can hit 4i off the fairway to about 180-190m. Dispersal still needs to be worked on and also the tendency to hook left when tired.

I love it when my 3i tee shot lands just behind most of my flightmates drives. Priceless. I tell myself, if i can hit 200 off the tee on any par 4 less than 400m, all i need is a decent approach and a chip and a put to make par...and usually i'll settle for a bogey.

But i guess the only major advantage is less roll on the green when attacking long par 3s compared to woods/hybrids.

what i can say about using long irons is that it's excatly the same as your other irons, just slow down your momentum.

practice it off a tee will be less stressful.
Back to top Go down
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 4:20 pm

I love hitting my 4I too...although i don't use that too often, hitting it well, gives alot of satisfaction and confidence.

Usually comes in handy on long par 3 and recovery shot for screwed up driver...

I agree that it is not the easiest to swing - i usually have to flatten out my swing quite abit.
Back to top Go down
Peterinjb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Quote :
what i can say about using long irons is that it's excatly the same as your other irons, just slow down your momentum.

i meant rythm not momentum...
Back to top Go down
fatmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
fatmax

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:14 pm

These days w so much technology n marketing invested in Hybrids, it's hard resisting hitting one. My coach many years ago was trying so hard to convince me to gv up on long irons n go the hybrid direction but I resisted. I worked hard to keep my 3/4 irons in my bag. After awhile, a 19deg hybrid found home in my bag! These days a 22deg hybrid found home too.... I do not know if I should be happy or sad... I still love the striking feel of a 3or 4iron but, the consistent ball flight of the hybrid just keeps stealing the chances of the long irons hence confidence in them continues to wane....

Should we rejoice n embrace technology or be old foolish die hard?

Struggling within.....
Back to top Go down
Sutos101
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Swallowed my ego, put 3 & 4 hybrids and never look back What a Face
Back to top Go down
fatmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
fatmax

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Sutos101 that's wat I meant by struggling within... sometimes ego self smashed when I push/pull a long iron shot into the hazard....
Back to top Go down
Sutos101
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 pm

fatmax wrote:
Sutos101 that's wat I meant by struggling within... sometimes ego self smashed when I push/pull a long iron shot into the hazard....

I know the feeling exactly Embarassed and it's not a pleasant one Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
jimmchew
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
jimmchew

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Sutos101 wrote:
fatmax wrote:

I know the feeling exactly Embarassed and it's not a pleasant one Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Shit happens! hahah
Back to top Go down
rla
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 11:44 pm

I find the 4I a very useful and versatile club....my mentality is different when I use the 4I and the other irons...I try to take a slower backswing and don't extend it to a full swing...maybe 3/4..Good contact with the 4I will give quite good results. I use it alot for my 2nd shot on the par 5s...tight par 4s at Keppel...and if I need a good chip and looooong run....but I have to admit that the 4 Iron does come in useful for adjusting the aircon vents too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do we still need to use 4 irons?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next