Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons

Go down 
+12
mulligan
shamusan
joleelyn
JonL_TK
asahi
Birdman
Ssquirrel
alvin7379
golf_snowman
ChrisD
weesern
KingAbarth
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons Empty
PostSubject: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:03 pm

So i have been deciding in getting some new equipment since my old clubs have been in the bag for around 5yrs now.
Was surprise how many new toys are out there in the market..
ANyway, i have sort of shortlisted a few irons that i may buy.

The R9 forge irons which i tried during the demo day
The Titlest AP1 or 2 which i have not tried
The Taylor made Tour Preferred irons which was recomeneded to me when i was asking abt the R9 irons.

Now, i need some help with the experts here.
A little info on my game.
I am playing ard 90-96 now, using a set of wilson Di clubs with SS ture tamper shaft (r) Ok clubs but thats all.. feel is avg, cant really shape shots etc..

Any one have any suggestion which route i should go? Or if you have some recomendations?
I do prefer blade look.. which is why i am leaning towards the TP irons.. but am a bit worried that they are not so forgiving compared to the R9 irons..

Any comments suggestions welcome..

Thanks

KA
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:22 pm

What makes you shortlist these clubs?
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:34 pm

Decide urself by trying them out.
Sometimes the shaft plays a part as well.
Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:34 pm

R9 was not part of the picture until the demo day..
Titlest was when i tried a friends AP1 some months back..
The TP was recomened as a cheaper alternative over the R9 forge
Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:35 pm

ChrisD wrote:
Decide urself by trying them out.
Sometimes the shaft plays a part as well.

they are all fitted with NSpro shaft

so i doubt that will be a big difference...
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:45 pm

with my limited knowledge

AP2 and R9 forge, these are forge iron, in which many had said about great feeling using forge iron.

I think AP1 and TM TP are cast iron.

So in turns of adjusting lie angle to suit your setup, forge iron provide a better option.

I believe TP iron has lesser offset, some might find lesser offset iron harder to play, some dun, so it really depend on your swing and your preference.

That is so far i can think so...good luck.

Btw, welcome to GR, enjoy your stay and surf. Do join SSN.

Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:56 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
with my limited knowledge

AP2 and R9 forge, these are forge iron, in which many had said about great feeling using forge iron.

I think AP1 and TM TP are cast iron.

So in turns of adjusting lie angle to suit your setup, forge iron provide a better option.

I believe TP iron has lesser offset, some might find lesser offset iron harder to play, some dun, so it really depend on your swing and your preference.

That is so far i can think so...good luck.

Btw, welcome to GR, enjoy your stay and surf. Do join SSN.

I was told the TP is actually very easy to hit.. and i actually like the bladed look.. I have not hit it yet so i cant say how it is.. no demo set unfortunately..
But the price is very good.. less then 900 for 4-pw.. im a little tempted. But downside is a 2008 design (IIRC), and the R9 seems to be the same.. with same design.. and for only 300 more..
confused... No

The AP2 i was told is much harder to hit compare to AP 1 and the R9..
so im not sure are these salesman talk by the shop or if its true..
hoping some current users can share...

oh... what's SSN?
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Actually in my opinion... the 3 sets of club head plays pretty much off the same amount of offset... main difference would be the thickness of the sole as well as the thickness of the topline. Though it might not make much of a difference at the kind of level that we social golfers play at... it sort of boils down to how confident one feels during the setup when looking upon the clubhead.

You might want to look into the weight and flex of the shaft to make sure that it suits your swing characteristics. The length and even the type (and thickness) of the grip do make a difference. And I feel sometimes 'smaller' stuffs like grips actually make a bigger difference than getting a good clubhead.

Of cos... nothing beats trying the club out! The friendly folks during the weekly range sessions will be more willing to let you 'test drive' their clubs... as long as you promise not to let the club slip off and flung out from 4 storey! What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm currently using AP2's They are nice and easy to hit.
I have not hit the AP1 or R9s so I can't do a comparison.

If you like the look of the "bladed look" as you posted. Then you should get them!
Nothing more inspiring than looking down at a nice look of the clubs when you address them.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 1:50 pm

SSS is Starry Starry Nite, our weekly wed nite range gathering at Marina Bay GC. From 8pm. Look in the box at the top right hand corner of the forum under Golf Republic events of the month.

Just to help crystalise things for your a little, loosely compared:

AP2 = TM TP, leaning more towards the better player

AP1 = TM R9, for the improving golfer who wants some of what the better player is getting but still wants a little more game improvement built in.

AP2 and R9s are not full forgings, only semi. And not all castings are hard, there are soft castings now with the advancement of tech these days. Most golfers idea of castings are still stuck in the 70s, that of the old Ping Eye irons, somehow forgetting that science advances.

I have only recently switched to the TM TPs which are a relatively soft casting, the lie angles can be adjusted up to 2 or 3 degrees. It's not that much harder to play from cavity backs and many are surprised at it's forgiveness. One of the reasons for it being so is the undercut cavity, first seen in Callaway irons. Other brands have variations of this design because it obviously works.

Best way to decide is to get your hands on each set and try them out.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Bro,

How bout custom fitting?
Go to Big Fish or Wizgolf to get yourself fitted properly to your 'specs'.

All the same, welcome and enjoy yr stay here!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 3:44 pm

asahi wrote:
Bro,

How bout custom fitting?

Very Happy

Part time salesman???scratch

I must warn you... our government will not tolerate moonlighting hor... What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Hiaz.....I only wish I am moonlighting.
Haha

Wait.....gahmen here ah!? Oops

What a Face
Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 3:53 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
Actually in my opinion... the 3 sets of club head plays pretty much off the same amount of offset... main difference would be the thickness of the sole as well as the thickness of the topline. Though it might not make much of a difference at the kind of level that we social golfers play at... it sort of boils down to how confident one feels during the setup when looking upon the clubhead.

You might want to look into the weight and flex of the shaft to make sure that it suits your swing characteristics. The length and even the type (and thickness) of the grip do make a difference. And I feel sometimes 'smaller' stuffs like grips actually make a bigger difference than getting a good clubhead.

Of cos... nothing beats trying the club out! The friendly folks during the weekly range sessions will be more willing to let you 'test drive' their clubs... as long as you promise not to let the club slip off and flung out from 4 storey! What a Face

I think i can guarantee that the clubs wont fly 4 storys down... tongue
Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 3:54 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
I'm currently using AP2's They are nice and easy to hit.
I have not hit the AP1 or R9s so I can't do a comparison.

If you like the look of the "bladed look" as you posted. Then you should get them!
Nothing more inspiring than looking down at a nice look of the clubs when you address them.

What is the current retail for the AP1/2?

I think i was quoted for 1.4k...
Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 4:00 pm

Birdman wrote:
SSS is Starry Starry Nite, our weekly wed nite range gathering at Marina Bay GC. From 8pm. Look in the box at the top right hand corner of the forum under Golf Republic events of the month.

Just to help crystalise things for your a little, loosely compared:

AP2 = TM TP, leaning more towards the better player

AP1 = TM R9, for the improving golfer who wants some of what the better player is getting but still wants a little more game improvement built in.

AP2 and R9s are not full forgings, only semi. And not all castings are hard, there are soft castings now with the advancement of tech these days. Most golfers idea of castings are still stuck in the 70s, that of the old Ping Eye irons, somehow forgetting that science advances.

I have only recently switched to the TM TPs which are a relatively soft casting, the lie angles can be adjusted up to 2 or 3 degrees. It's not that much harder to play from cavity backs and many are surprised at it's forgiveness. One of the reasons for it being so is the undercut cavity, first seen in Callaway irons. Other brands have variations of this design because it obviously works.

Best way to decide is to get your hands on each set and try them out.

Good luck!

Thanks for your pointers..
I was told the TP is very similar with the R9 forge.. because both uses the same inverted cavity tech in the head design.. and as you reightfully pointed out, has a very soft casting head which makes it feel like a forge..
I wish i am a good player,, but i think im not there yet.. i need some lesson to bring me to the next level, but i i definitely want a club that i can stick with..
I am abit worried with teh AP2 being a bit hard for me now since my shots are still not that consistent and with the smaller face, wonder how it will turn out..
So have you tried the R9 clubs? how would you rate them against your TP?
I was told the TP were from the 2008 range, is there no new models??
Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 4:04 pm

asahi wrote:
Bro,

How bout custom fitting?

Very Happy

I am not sure what is the rate from custom fitting...
i did email big fish about it and have not heard back from them... so.. Rolling Eyes

Where is Wizgolf?

I am still looking around so i dun want to be pressured into buying something now.. and i am still keeping my options open..

Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 4:18 pm

How about Adams Golf CB1 or CB2?
Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 4:21 pm

JonL_TK wrote:
How about Adams Golf CB1 or CB2?

have not tried them at all..

the only adam clubs i have tried were the inverted fairway woods i tried serveral years ago..
was impress with those clubs.. i think they were the ones that inspired the hybrids...
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 4:22 pm

KingAbarth wrote:

Where is Wizgolf?

http://www.wizgolf.com.sg/
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 4:24 pm

dont email them, just call them...

in my beginners opinion, i would pick the R9 forged / AP2 over the cast iron models any day. the feeling of forged irons is just a great deal sweeter / nicer to me
Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 4:24 pm

thanks...

and as you can see.. im trying to chalk up post so i can get rid of the stupid newbie golfer tag...

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mulligan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mulligan

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 5:44 pm

king abarth - rings a bell. we played once many years back at tanjong puteri with dino.
i got the same christian name as you. me used to drive the DB8 . how 's the monster ?.
Very Happy . good to see you here. need a game give me a holler . give me a ride one of
these days. rgds
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Have a look at these Adams irons. I saw them in Sydney, very very sweet babes these irons. I drooled over the CB1

http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/irons/index.php
Back to top Go down
mulligan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mulligan

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 6:20 pm

blades - mizuno ? - (some say soft and buttery) . yamaha (also some say soft and buttery) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons   Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me Choose - R9 Forge irons / Titlest AP 1/2 / TM TP irons
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next