Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?

Go down 
+18
Lee36328
Derek
Denmeister
eiji
pushslice
Technospaz
Roystonnn
pocketace
hkhamateur
EACgolf
tronos
Batman
HyBriD
sob
scottycollector
ljlow
duffader
buzz1211
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
buzz1211
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
buzz1211

Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? Empty
PostSubject: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 10:57 am

Sold my MP 53 and kept my MX 300. Was hitting ok. Then I picked up BFG's irons with KBS Tour 90 shaft. Shiok sensation. As I was hitting it at NSRCC range, the lady from Honshin passed me their blade. Told her I sure can't hit blade but surprised myself by hitting it really well. Penetrating flight too.

I know most would argue yes to forge but no to blade but is there something I'm missing here? Love the look of the BFG irons. But I need to be certain of the clubs for me. Otherwise my wife will threaten to kick me out again.

Please help.

Signed

Equipment Junkie
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:07 am

Which club do you think will still give you ok results on a bad day? that will be the club cos most golfers have bad days more than good days.
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:12 am

not to promote anything here (dun flame me pls...)
if you like blade and looking for something unique, try Miura small blade...

personally i like simple n sleek design, the 15% smaller head caught my eyes even though i am definitely not there to hit a blade that small...

to me, the rest of models, be it cavity of blade, all look indifference among various makers.

i'm even getting the cute putter KM-350... he he...
i told myself, that will be my last set...
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:14 am

duffader wrote:
Which club do you think will still give you ok results on a bad day? that will be the club cos most golfers have bad days more than good days.
hmm... good day 102, bad day 122... that's how punishing a blade is...
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:17 am

maybe u can consider a progressive set ie blades on short irons and cavity on longer irons
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 am

ljlow wrote:
duffader wrote:

Cavity can hit those scores too.... doesn't mean use cavity will definitely hit good scores. True that its forgiving, but swing not there, everything also no use.

Just look at the majority of tour winners nowadays.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:03 pm

If you just want to enjoy the game and not really into getting single hcp, then get the most forgiving irons that you can find. Laughing

Else you can be like the rest of us, chasing that elusive par game.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:59 pm

duffader wrote:
ljlow wrote:
duffader wrote:

Cavity can hit those scores too.... doesn't mean use cavity will definitely hit good scores. True that its forgiving, but swing not there, everything also no use.

Just look at the majority of tour winners nowadays.

Yes Brandt Snedeker is using Cavity Back J40 irons with Steel fiber shaft

Adding more, everything depends on your preference.
BFG irons are great irons and am sure they were customised to your swing.

Why don't you stick to it and who knows after a year or two, there might be another good looking irons which may fancy you.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Bad day means more training needed...
Good day also means more training, cos need to be consistent! Smile
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 4:48 pm

buzz1211 wrote:
Sold my MP 53 and kept my MX 300. Was hitting ok. Then I picked up BFG's irons with KBS Tour 90 shaft. Shiok sensation. As I was hitting it at NSRCC range, the lady from Honshin passed me their blade. Told her I sure can't hit blade but surprised myself by hitting it really well. Penetrating flight too.

I know most would argue yes to forge but no to blade but is there something I'm missing here? Love the look of the BFG irons. But I need to be certain of the clubs for me. Otherwise my wife will threaten to kick me out again.

Please help.

Signed

Equipment Junkie
Bro, my humble point of view.

The search for THE club will always be as elusive as the search for THE wife Smile

For the record, i have 2 iron sets: R9 TP & MP33. Love them both.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 7:48 pm

bad players can still play a blade and hit decent, even good shots with it, even on the course.

Problem comes when you are tired, muscles aching, and your swing is not as smooth (and accurate) as 2 hours ago.

Then you are facing a downhill 160m shot over water, and you are looking at your smallish blade, all your confidence is shot.

bad player + low confidence + sloppy swing when tired + unforgiving blade = most likely a poor shot.

with GI and SGI, you can still 'accidentally' hit a fantastic shot with a sloppy swing.

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:09 pm

tronos wrote:
bad players can still play a blade and hit decent, even good shots with it, even on the course.

Problem comes when you are tired, muscles aching, and your swing is not as smooth (and accurate) as 2 hours ago.

Then you are facing a downhill 160m shot over water, and you are looking at your smallish blade, all your confidence is shot.

bad player + low confidence + sloppy swing when tired + unforgiving blade = most likely a poor shot.

with GI and SGI, you can still 'accidentally' hit a fantastic shot with a sloppy swing.

Lay up loh...
Back to top Go down
buzz1211
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
buzz1211

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Hey bros, you guys are fantastic. Didn't expect the replies so quickly. My friends pointed out another fact I forgot to mention. The blade had a 38 inch shaft for 7 iron. The others were between 36.5 and 37. So maybe it wasn't the blade but the shaft. Anyway, got to figure this out. My game has a propensity for self destruction. Play 44 on front 9 and then 56 on back nine. Last week played 46 on front 9 and then 56 on back 9.

Agree that finding that elusive weapon of choice if akin to finding the perfect wife. God knows my wife is not perfect. Shhh...don't tell her I said that.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:16 pm

duffader wrote:
tronos wrote:

Lay up loh...

lol thts y i am still a bad player. already improve on not pulling out the 3 wood every time .... 160m over water for 2 on par 5 (very short par 5) is too tempting to not try
Back to top Go down
EACgolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
EACgolf

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi there,

Firstly, unless you are able to shape the ball's flight that you wanted to than blade will be good for you. Secondly, if you have not score below 80 in a round before, try not to use blade as you will get more *****than your current irons. Lastly, forged iron is always better as you can feel the impact of the club's head when you strike the ball. farao
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:28 pm

tronos wrote:
duffader wrote:
tronos wrote:

Lay up loh...

lol thts y i am still a bad player. already improve on not pulling out the 3 wood every time .... 160m over water for 2 on par 5 (very short par 5) is too tempting to not try

Please tell me the course leh, par 5 under 400m, where to find?
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Just played 'The Legends' this morn. Very Happy
Shortest par 5 - white tee 439m blue tee 465m. On Green
Can't think of any course hve par 5 below 400m.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 9:51 pm

Quite frankly, if one is shooting in the 90s or 100s, it is just strange to even consider blades. JMHO, but some choose to buy it cos they can. Lots of PGA pros play with some sort of cavity back irons these days. Yet weekend hackers choose blades... If one got day job and hardly practice, doubt that blades will lower the score. After all is said and done, it's down to the individual preference. All the best
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 9:55 pm

U said it right.... Personal preference. Thing abt blades is that it's pretty sexy as compared to cavity, so weekend golfer like me will just get a club that I like, score will come 2nd
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 9:59 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
Just played 'The Legends' this morn. Very Happy
Shortest par 5 - white tee 439m blue tee 465m. On Green
Can't think of any course hve par 5 below 400m.

Ponderosa got 1 par5 less than 400m i tink.
Starhill theres a par5 also just around 400m.
Think i tried 2-on with 2nd short remainin 150m-175m.

Quite exciting to be attempting 2-on. Hehe. Razz
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:05 pm

duffader wrote:
U said it right.... Personal preference. Thing abt blades is that it's pretty sexy as compared to cavity, so weekend golfer like me will just get a club that I like, score will come 2nd
Thumbs up bro!! i see my blade i stim already... shiokness is the word and when i start scoring low...that is the bonus... Smile
Back to top Go down
buzz1211
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
buzz1211

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 am

Appreciate the advice. Believe me, I don't think I'm suitable for blades. Maybe I hit well only because of the shaft. Will know soon enough.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:33 pm

occ white tees. less than 400m
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:57 pm

I was on the MX-300s for a while then itchy, went over to the MP-58s. I actually like the 58s. They are very sexy clubs and when there's good contact, the ball launches sweetly. Unfortunately, it's not as forgiving as the MX-300s. So, I recently went back to the 300s. I find that they are more forgiving and with my new shafts (PX 5.0 Flighted, vs. the earlier NSPros), they perform quite well.

What I realized from my game yesterday is that it's time to work on the swing, rather than the equipment. It's nice to change gear and it's great to see nice and shiny stuff in the bag but really, it's not helpful to the game. I know that I'll change my mind on this in the near future but I felt quite pleased with my gear yesterday. For the first time in a long while, I was contented with what I had.

So, before you make a decision on whether to go blade/cavity, do take a look at the shaft options. Sometimes, it's not the head but the shaft which gets you where you wanna go.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:00 pm

heard you played well during Lou Hei game... no wonder you are contented lah.... heheheh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?   Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blade or cavity? To forge or not to forge?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next