Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do we still need to use 4 irons?

Go down 
+41
schnell
shamusan
simoner
joetan_sin
luffy
youming
TDO
Derek
vhew
eqtrend
adenn20
sunnydaze
rla
jimmchew
Sutos101
fatmax
ringrain_78
Peterinjb
NikeN
kangster
mrkatsucurry
GPRO-Ricky Cheng
Newtogolf
enwee
Slicer51
Quest
nutty88
audi
Turbo
ThomasTan
fata
blee67
Happy Feet
Technospaz
jurongtiger
renode
Begbie
haragolfer
bluebiscuits
onime
dyeosh
45 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
dyeosh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Do we still need to use 4 irons? Empty
PostSubject: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Guys,

With all the hybrids in the market, do you guys still use the 4 iron?

Thanks......
Back to top Go down
onime
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
onime

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Not me cyclops
Back to top Go down
bluebiscuits
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 5:37 pm

I use 4 iron as I can play it from the rough and thick stuff, hybrids tough to use in those places
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 6:39 pm

No. Have not had one in 10 years dont miss it either. I may connect 1 out of 20 shots i try, if i am lucky. Hybrids are a different story though. Maybe i hit 1 good one 3 of 4 times. Where ever i am. Rough to tee. Love em hybrids. In fact since i had them hybrids, i follow Begbie example, no 5 iron too.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t24743-hurry-hurry-hara-sale-matrix-shaft-50-adams-head-free#395807

"I have an army"

"we have a Hulk"
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 7:25 pm

haragolfer wrote:
No. Have not had one in 10 years dont miss it either. I may connect 1 out of 20 shots i try, if i am lucky. Hybrids are a different story though. Maybe i hit 1 good one 3 of 4 times. Where ever i am. Rough to tee. Love em hybrids. In fact since i had them hybrids, i follow Begbie example, no 5 iron too.

Im surprised u know that i hv stopped carrying my 5i. My golf game has been simplified now esp that I have lessen my freq on the range. Anything >155 m its just hybrids now and I choke the grip accordingly.

I practice my 50m chips/putts in more often than not as I dun have too much expectation on getting myself on the green from that distance. Takes a lot of anxiety out of my game and helped quite a bit to prevent the big numbers..

If u ask me, its much easier to get comfortable with chipping and putting rather than tame the dreaded 4i.. Y make the game harder than it already is ?

Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Yes I do.

Why? Bcos you can never replicate the feeling of hitting a crisp 4 iron off a par 3 hole, nestling it within 5 feet, and rolling it in for birdie.
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Do we need manual cars now that we have auto's?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Definitely stopped using 4i.

I now use hybrids in place of my 3i to 5i. So, my irons are only from 6i onwards.

Oh well.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Happy Feet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:18 pm

if the way things r going, i mite even need. to etire a
6i, 7i, 8i and 9i
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:27 pm

Happy Feet wrote:
if the way things r going, i mite even need. to etire a
6i, 7i, 8i and 9i

Sometimes, things don't work. Doesn't mean that they're useless. Just need to have them fixed Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:36 pm

I used woods.....
Back to top Go down
dyeosh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:53 pm

bluebiscuits wrote:
I use 4 iron as I can play it from the rough and thick stuff, hybrids tough to use in those places

Ok, think I will keep it inside the bag and continue to learn how to use it......
Back to top Go down
dyeosh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:54 pm

bluebiscuits wrote:

Ok, think I will keep it inside the bag and continue to learn how to use it......
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
fata

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:56 pm

Never had any hybrid to date. Am comfortable with all my iron though 3 and 4 the most less use clubs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dyeosh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 pm

fata wrote:
Never had any hybrid to date. Am comfortable with all my iron though 3 and 4 the most less use clubs. Very Happy

4 is already so hard to use, cannot imagine 3.
Back to top Go down
ThomasTan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 10:41 pm

"Subject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons? Today at 7:50 pm
Yes I do.

Why? Bcos you can never replicate the feeling of hitting a crisp 4 iron off a par 3 hole, nestling it within 5 feet, and rolling it in for birdie.

Yes, I do carry a 4iron, I agree with what Renode has mentioned. Teeing off for short Par 4's is great!
Back to top Go down
dyeosh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 10:46 pm

ThomasTan wrote:
"Subject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons? Today at 7:50 pm
Yes I do.

Yes, I do carry a 4iron, I agree with what Renode has mentioned. Teeing off for short Par 4's is great!

Interesting, thanks.......
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 pm

bluebiscuits wrote:

I sense sarcasm.

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 11:08 pm

These days, most if not all social golfers seldom use 4i since the immense improvement in hybrid design that helps weekend golfers to produce longer and higher shots ... I myself is no exception ... I tend to use 4i on the tee more than on the deck actually ...
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 pm

bluebiscuits wrote:

i agree
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 pm

bluebiscuits wrote:

If your ball is in very thick/deep rough, unless you have the physical calibre & skill of Tiger Woods, I doubt 4i is the right club to use. For thick and deep rough, one would gain even more distance by using 7i or higher ... For a non-PRO golfer, we should be thinking of recovery ... That is getting the ball back in play (onto the fairway) and not trying to attack the Pin ... My 2 cents' worth ... No offense intended ...
Back to top Go down
dyeosh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:06 am

Turbo wrote:
bluebiscuits wrote:

If your ball is in very thick/deep rough, unless you have the physical calibre & skill of Tiger Woods, I doubt 4i is the right club to use. For thick and deep rough, one would gain even more distance by using 7i or higher ... For a non-PRO golfer, we should be thinking of recovery ... That is getting the ball back in play (onto the fairway) and not trying to attack the Pin ... My 2 cents' worth ... No offense intended ...

Appreciate all the advise given.
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
fata

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:15 am

dyeosh wrote:
fata wrote:

4 is already so hard to use, cannot imagine 3.

It become harder when we are trying to hard cheers
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 8:51 am

Frankly, my take is how comfortable are you playing with a 4i?

I played with a good golfer recently who (just to humor us, I guess... or embarrass us) played most of his game using a driving iron. That's like a 1i or a 0i. He could launch it without problems and it produced crazy distances. It was fun to watch, though somewhat demoralizing.

So, if you are comfortable with a 4i, then there's little to ask. If you are not, then opt instead for a hybrid or some other option.

Of late, I'm learning to put pride aside in place of a better game. I used to think that a 5i is the furthest I'd go but I'm not good enough to even hit that steadily. So, I've opted instead to ditch the 5i and used a 5H in its place. Sad, but true.

I know another top golfer here who scores regularly in the low 80s and high 70s who also has a 5H. A fool, some might say... but who cares what's in his bag if he can produce a game which many can only dream about Smile

Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:11 am

Yes, I still use my 4i and the only hybrid I have is a 19* but I use it mainly for teeing off long par3 and short par4. I think one should use whatever is comfortable that gives him the best results and not simply followed blindly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do we still need to use 4 irons?   Do we still need to use 4 irons? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do we still need to use 4 irons?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next