Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?

Go down 
+13
myeow
pushslice
kuan
HyBriD
Derek
andrew-golf
golf_snowman
ChrisD
slinger
ron81
Joshua
Bangla123
Denmeister
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:49 am

Denmeister wrote:

1) if I am currently using a 350g head on slow greens, what is considered light when comparing with my putter? 10 percent lighter or more?

2) if using the same stroke, the lighter putter will travel a shorter distance than the heavier putter on the same green. So if my most comfortable smallest stroke is a 3inch back and through, then using a lighter putter may be a logical option for fast greens. Correct?

The reason why I am saying this is, there will be times when the mind says 1inch back enough for this fast green, but the hands just can't accept it and still go longer than that. I don't think I am alone here.What u guys think?

Think at the end of the day its all about feel.., both physical and mental.
Also can one really feel the difference of the putt at 350g vs 315g (ie minus 10%)?
Guess its a trial and error adjustment to fit the putter weight so that one doesnt lose the feel. Heard some ppl remove both weights off their scotty putter for fast greens and it still didnt work.
Maybe solution is not changing weights but to train and adjust the mind to just hit it softer on fast greens . You oso need balance, personal comfort and most importantly need to like what you are looking at. Smile (ie the affective intuitive domain vs purely pyschomotor physical feel)
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 12:47 pm

On fast greens, using the same putter, one's fear or confidence is visible especially during short putts. When I am tentative about missing the 3 footer and try to stir it in, the ball will just take a turn away from the hole. I played a morning game at horizon hills where I only 1 or 2 putted in my first 9. Then during the second 9, when the morning dew evaporated, with faster greens, I was missing my short putts just because I was not firm.

Jeffman88, u may be right. The mind needs to believe that fast greens are the same as any other greens. Just go for it.

I don't think pros change putters depending on green speeds.

Any pros care to clarify?
Back to top Go down

Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3