Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!

Go down 
+3
Turbo
mi5trooper
Lisy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! Empty
PostSubject: Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!   Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 10:22 pm

After trying out clubs today..

I got really really confused..
Gave advices to people before.. but today I got confused myself..

Anyone knows the answer to my problem?
The thing with weight.. I am kind of confused.. scratch
Is it better to get heavier or lighter clubs?
(Not for a few practice swings or demo tryout.. but for playing LONG 18 holes courses)

I am on B9..
before I am still looking for clubs that is lighter than B9..
but very hard to find..

Tried D0 in demo today.. can swing okay but after few hits.. straining my wrists a lot..
also tried steel shaft, graphite shaft, S, R, SR flex.. weirdly I am finding steel shaft with S flex easier to hit than the rest.. what does that mean..? Too tired to analyze at the moment.. Someone tell me..

Both wrists now resting with medicated oil..
Back to top Go down
mi5trooper
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!   Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 11:12 pm

i heard before saying that if my swing is slow, i can opt for a lighter but heavier head to increase the power. if i have a strong and fast swing, then can opt for heavier overall to accompany the pattern.

well, these is just i heard. not sure also.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!   Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 11:30 pm

In my opinion, there is no hard and fast rule. Each and every golfer has different "swing DNA". I would suggest you consult a qualified club fitter to find the right combinations (i.e. heavy shaft with lighter head & S-flex shaft, lighter shaft with S-flex, heavy shaft with R-flex, etc.)
Back to top Go down
DKing
Caddy
Caddy
DKing

PostSubject: Re: Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!   Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 12:32 am

To my understanding, swing weight and actual physical weight are different.

You can have a swing weight of B3 over a range of the actual overall weight of the club. (example B3 with actual weight of 300 grams and B3 with actual weight of 350 grams)
Conversely, you can also change the swing weight, say from D0 to D1, without affecting the overall weight of the club.

Perhaps you can try a lighter weighting club with a swing weight of D0.

As with Turbo, I would suggest you see a club fitter to find out the best configuration for you.

It'll be good if a club fitter can shed more light on this.

Back to top Go down
madmaru
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
madmaru

PostSubject: Re: Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!   Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 8:51 am

DKing wrote:

You can have a swing weight of B3 over a range of the actual overall weight of the club. (example B3 with actual weight of 300 grams and B3 with actual weight of 350 grams)
Conversely, you can also change the swing weight, say from D0 to D1, without affecting the overall weight of the club.

As with Turbo, I would suggest you see a club fitter to find out the best configuration for you.

i agree i was reserching thru clubs to find a driver tat suits me this is wat i found out
eg: the lightest driver on the market cleveland golf
cleveland launcher XL 270 : overall weight 270g but swing weight D5
cleveland CG Black 265 : overall weight 265g but swing weight D2

difference by 5 gram but swing weight difference by factor of 3

so weight of the clubs and swing weight is totally 2 consider both things not just 1
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

PostSubject: Re: Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!   Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 10:18 am

mi5trooper wrote:
i heard before saying that if my swing is slow, i can opt for a lighter but heavier head to increase the power. if i have a strong and fast swing, then can opt for heavier overall to accompany the pattern.

well, these is just i heard. not sure also.

Agree Agree!! Great pointer mi5trooper!!

My swing is slow.. Trying to make it slower and slower..
That is why lighter B9 and heavier head more suitable..

Now I understand..
+ 1 more to add on.. Very Flex Shaft..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

But how to explain the S Flex with Steel Shaft..?? I do not understand why I am finding it better than other R, SR flex.. their graphite is too heavy..
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

PostSubject: Re: Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!   Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 10:22 am

DKing wrote:

DKing..

I am also still learning about it and to feel also..

I did not know about the B3 with actual weight of 300 grams and B3 with actual weight of 350 grams..

Thank you for sharing this with us..

Do you know in how many ways can this e.g. B3.. be segmented.. e.g. with different grams weight.. what else..??
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!   Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 10:36 am

DKing wrote:

Haha YEAH Turbo , maybe you should see a club fitter Smile
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

PostSubject: Re: Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!   Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 11:02 am

Turbo wrote:
In my opinion, there is no hard and fast rule. Each and every golfer has different "swing DNA". I would suggest you consult a qualified club fitter to find the right combinations (i.e. heavy shaft with lighter head & S-flex shaft, lighter shaft with S-flex, heavy shaft with R-flex, etc.)

Turbo..

I hope to find a club that I do not need to adjust..
I just want to use it as it is..
Back to top Go down
waybalegolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
waybalegolf

PostSubject: Re: Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!   Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 11:11 am

Hi Guys,

Overall total weight of the club is depending on the shaft, club's head and grip weight. As for the swing weight, every halve inch longer or shorter on the shaft will move the swing weight by 3 points up or down and even the weight will also move the swing weight up or down.

So weight and length of the club will change the swing weight. Most club heads like driver (average weigh about 194-198grams), the grip weight 40-60 grams, shaft weight for wood 45-90grams, iron shaft graphite 50-95 grams, iron steel shaft 85-130grams and so on...There are big gap in weight different for each part of the club, so this area is quite technical now but basically you need to know below.

To enjoy a round of golf with your set of clubs, you need to know the following:-

1) your physical build (height, weight, size, type of shaft-steel/graphite)
2) your swing speed (to determine the flex and weight of the shaft)
3) your grip size

If your club is light enough, don't get too confused about the swing weight of the club, rather focus on your swing using more of your BIG muscle(your shoulder) to move the club down instead of your hands.

Hope these will help.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!   Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heavier or Lighter clubs better to play 18 holes!!
Page 1 of 1