Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.

Go down 
+26
duffader
siaokao
abadan
eiji
slinger
nientsu
Doraemon
Derek
pug
schnell
kevinhwc
pippin
jtek
bogeyman72
enwee
DGman
blong
Duval_S
Begbie
asahi
Technospaz
pushslice
hkhamateur
Suzuki
guangzhao
aling
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
aling
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. Empty
PostSubject: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 7:41 am

I have been told the above. How true is it.
I know fitted clubs get you better distance and control.
But can one play with just any set of clubs?
US/Jap specs, S/R shafts......
Any views?
Back to top Go down
guangzhao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 7:50 am

I feel that there's a storm coming... Haha

It's a sensitive question... Some ppl believe in it, some don't...

Personally, fitting definitely helps, but it may not be cost effective if your swing changes next mth and you need different specs. If you have an ok swing, you can definitely launch the ball, just prob not to it's full potential.

Just my 2 cents...

Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 7:52 am

Very set of club will have their own characteristic, is the matter of time you understand them if you practice hard enough, but some set you have to compromise with your swing. If you want to get the maximum out from your swing, you have to customize a set that suits your swing, provided your swing is consistence.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 am

Suzuki wrote:
Very set of club will have their own characteristic, is the matter of time you understand them if you practice hard enough, but some set you have to compromise with your swing. If you want to get the maximum out from your swing, you have to customize a set that suits your swing, provided your swing is consistence.

Agreed! Wink
Definitely all golfers can hit regardless of age? Cool
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:23 am

these threads may answer your questions

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t2777-what-is-club-fitting

read about the 85 yr old lady champion

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t18571-what-is-club-fitting-ii
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:28 am

To me, it's akin to Scarlett Johansson picking clothes off Gap or M&S. Yes, she'll look good in them. No doubt there. But, if she got fitted into the Black Widow skin-tight outfit, that's a whole different ballgame.

Of course, first, you'll need to be Scarlett Johansson and most (unfortunately) don't come close.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:38 am

Oh yes, Scarlet Johanssan.....nw that's a sight to behold.

Very Happy

Wait.....oh, golf clubs right......ermm....personal preference lah
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:53 am

U maybe a seasoned beginner for all we know and playing of single digit... But since u asked let , i believe most of ur question has been answered here... Static fitting is already more than enough if ur a beginner so as not get a club too long/short for u along with good grip size..

And imo Anne Hathaway would hv been a better example compared to Scarlett Johannson.. She's hotter..
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 am

Pls la.....its like saying Usain Bolt can run 100m...sure can run marathon.

its very important to have the right clubs.

take me for example. I think its critical to have driver, irons, putter...and of coz wedges
Back to top Go down
blong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:11 am

vote +1 for Scarlet Johanssan
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:15 am

in controlled environment most players can use any clubs and still score but the specs must be relative close.

i remember doing club fitting at Black Mountain in 2010 and Alex Noren arrived but his clubs went missing in transit. one would have expected that he would go to pieces with a set of rented clubs (granted the folks at Black Mountain had quality rented clubs) but with a simliar putter he would have done better than the even par 72.

i am sure most of us can hit a 33 inch 7 iron but in an actual game, it will be hard to control. so the specs must be relatively close to be efficient.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
guangzhao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:17 am

Duval_S wrote:

take me for example. I think its critical to have driver, irons, putter...and of coz wedges

I'm 1 up on Duval... I've got a driver, a few irons, a few wedges, putter...and 2 hybrids. cheers
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:32 am

Duval_S wrote:

+++ right clubs give u confident especially on the putter. I got a fren whose hcp is around 8-10, he bought a hybrid some years ago played quite well it on the course but decide to sell to colleague after 3-4 games, reason, the club head don't fit his eyes...faint. So I think you must like your clubs looked 1st before playing with it.
Back to top Go down
aling
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 11:08 am

thank you for all the responses...
i asked a harmless question but got fabulous answers...*enlightened*
btw, i'm a beginner with hcp of probably 30+!
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 11:48 am

If you cannot play, use any club also does not matter... still cannot play
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 12:11 pm

+1 for Anne Hathaway

No no no

+1 for Scarlett Johannson

No no no Anne Hathaway no Scarlett Johannson.....

Ah......!!!! Why u guys choose 2 of the hottest chick... Cannot decide who to vote...

Ha ha ha....

Back to the topic.... I'm also hoping to learn whether fitted set is better or not... Cos I'm on of the rack since day 1 and now I feel I'm stuck! Cannot improve any further...

Am really thinking of the poisonous fishy stick....
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 12:43 pm

aling wrote:
thank you for all the responses...
i asked a harmless question but got fabulous answers...*enlightened*
btw, i'm a beginner with hcp of probably 30+!

Oooh... then y this question? I remember when i just started lessons... I'm always very impressed with my coach... can hit any damn thing that is put in his hand...

But I believe clubs are personal... so having gotten used to one set... will make them work better for you
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 12:46 pm

pippin wrote:

But I believe clubs are personal... so having gotten used to one set... will make them work better for you

+1 for this.. but i always feel people's clubs are better.. hahahah
Back to top Go down
schnell
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
schnell

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 12:51 pm

coaches can hit any club coz their fundamentals are sound. not hard for these teaching pros to hit your clubs. depending on flex and type of club head (cavity/muscle/cavern back) Smile

anyway..clubs do play a part in helping the golfer especially in terms of forgiveness when you do not hit it right on the sweet spot. have fun and experiment with different kinds of clubs to find the one most suitable for you.
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Grass over the other side of island is always greener.
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Suzuki wrote:

I like this..... but it just doesn't register in the mind when you hit other clubs... hahaha
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 1:04 pm

kevinhwc wrote:
Suzuki wrote:

I like this..... but it just doesn't register in the mind when you hit other clubs... hahaha

When you pay and buy over the clubs, it's seems not much different with your old set of clubs.
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Exactly bro..... the feel changes once it belongs to you.....
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 1:31 pm

I almost always use my "local" friend's club or rented clubs whenever I play overseas. Found it a hassle to lug my clubs around from home-airport-hotel-golf course-hotel-airport-home. Other than the driver which I will spray left and right, and the putter which feels odd, I guess I am okay using them after 17 holes to get used to them. Razz
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 pm

a FITTED Anne Hathaway ... OMG ... I am bloody drooling ... *deep and heavy breathing* ... and my imagination is getting the better of me ... *more deep and heavy breathing* .... OMG OMG OMG *heavy breaths in quick succession* ......

CENSORED!!!!!!

*lighting a cigarette* ..... now what was the topic again???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.   If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you can play, doesn't matter which clubs you use.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next