Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?

Go down 
+14
Lamts18
JonL_TK
pocketace
weesern
WaLau
TeD
mUAr_cHEe
hillgreen
alvin7379
DGman
SGtiger
Aloyboy
Duval_S
golf_snowman
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? Empty
PostSubject: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:10 am

Hi,

Me wonder how do we know we are suitbale to use heavier shaft or light shaft ?

what are the measureables that can indicate to us the suitability of shaft weight to individual golfer ?

anyone any comment or advise, please feel free...

thank you

snowman
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 am

Hi Bro....I am no techie as the only thing I know about measurement is loft of club....

As to heavy or light, I had an experience playing 4 games in 3 days in BJ.......after the games, I tot I half paralyzed......and henceforth I decided my shaft too heavy and switch to graphite....
Back to top Go down
Aloyboy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Aloyboy

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:07 am

wah... duval... i think anyone who plays 4 games in 3 days, hands cfm tired de wor...
Back to top Go down
SGtiger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
SGtiger

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 am

I think frm what i've tried before, lighter shafts generally promotes u to swing faster and probably increase distance..
Heavier shafts tend to slow down swing..
Get your swing speed tested out and u may get an idea of whats good for u..
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 am

it will be interesting to know who has the potential of fitting clubs....

looking forward to hearing more comments before i make mine...

cheers and have a great week ahead.......DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:24 am

Duval_S wrote:
Hi Bro....I am no techie as the only thing I know about measurement is loft of club....

As to heavy or light, I had an experience playing 4 games in 3 days in BJ.......after the games, I tot I half paralyzed......and henceforth I decided my shaft too heavy and switch to graphite....

hi bro

haha...actually i have been thinking about this question after my last visit to the den last week.

I was told my "angle of attack is steep or high..(couldn't remember), so a heavier shaft is more suitable"...but i din have a chance to ask more questions to really understand

Like, how can i relate "angle of attack to heavier shaft" ?
How to define "angle of attack" ?

I know my swing speed is slow...and does that play a part in deciding shaft weight also ?..

many question spining around my head over the past weekend....haha

snowman[left]
Back to top Go down
Aloyboy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Aloyboy

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:27 am

i feel that its up to the individual......

for me... i love heavy shafts.. it gives me more control...

if i were to use a graphite.. my balls will be flying left and right
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 am

Aloyboy wrote:

hi bro

so you are saying if you use a heavier shaft, your balls wnt go left and right ? is that true ?

i think some of the graphite shaft are heavy also...keke

snowman
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:33 am

Know NOTHING about club fitting... but my guess is, heavier shafts are meant more for heavier club heads (i.e. forged/ blade irons) Players who used such irons tends to be better players thus is able to achieve a faster swing and heavier impact, so they require a heavier shaft which usually translates to better stiffness to match the swing and force. Weight of the shaft should not make you feel that it is masking out the weight of the club head as the feel on the club head is more important.

Lighter shafts can help players with slower swing to go faster thus achieving a better clubhead speed.

Having said the above... like I mentioned at the beginning... those are just my thoughts as I know nuts about club fitting... so it could just well be a big bunch of crap... lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:34 am

DGman wrote:
it will be interesting to know who has the potential of fitting clubs....

looking forward to hearing more comments before i make mine...

cheers and have a great week ahead.......DGman

master

dnt wait too long hor before u release the answer...keke

the questions are spining faster in my mind now...keke....it's torturing, u know....

snowman[left]
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:38 am

alvin7379 wrote:
Know NOTHING about club fitting... but my guess is, heavier shafts are meant more for heavier club heads (i.e. forged/ blade irons) Players who used such irons tends to be better players thus is able to achieve a faster swing and heavier impact, so they require a heavier shaft which usually translates to better stiffness to match the swing and force. Weight of the shaft should not make you feel that it is masking out the weight of the club head as the feel on the club head is more important.

Lighter shafts can help players with slower swing to go faster thus achieving a better clubhead speed.

Having said the above... like I mentioned at the beginning... those are just my thoughts as I know nuts about club fitting... so it could just well be a big bunch of crap... lol!

hi bro

good thought and sounds reasonable.

my swing speed is slow, but still i was told to use a heavier shaft...why ?....haha !!

let's keep the mind running and see if there are any other comments / theory / reasons...

thank you

snowman
Back to top Go down
Aloyboy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Aloyboy

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:46 am

golf_snowman wrote:
Aloyboy wrote:

hi bro

so you are saying if you use a heavier shaft, your balls wnt go left and right ? is that true ?

i think some of the graphite shaft are heavy also...keke

snowman

ya... not only it goes straight... the feel is alot better...

when the shaft is heavy, my down swing will automatically do the right follow thru... not the case for light graphites
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:49 am

Could it be that :

heavier shaft will enable one to have a smoother swing and thus more on plane thus will assist in creating slighter faster swing speed ?

Better for those that did swing with hop and shoulder rotation ?

golf_snowman wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:

hi bro

good thought and sounds reasonable.

my swing speed is slow, but still i was told to use a heavier shaft...why ?....haha !!

let's keep the mind running and see if there are any other comments / theory / reasons...

thank you

snowman
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:59 am

Hi bro Aloyboy and hillgreen

hmm....so the reason for heavier shaft is that it helps to stabilise swing path, less variation that could have being cause by the golfer...thus promote better ball flight...

is that especially true for people like me who has a steeper in angle of attack ?

snowman
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:00 am

If you are not looking for the usual "go-to-a-clubfitter" advise... then...

rule of thumb here for most average folk is the faster your swing speed, the heavier shaft you should get.

But exactly how heavy it should be? Well, go to a cl..... okok. u want some other answer?

first of all,

how are your shot shapes now?
What kind of distances are you hitting with your clubs?
what kind of ball flight would you like to achieve?
what are looking for exactly?
increasing distances? or controlling dispersion? You can never find the best of these 2 worlds, but you can find a healthy compromise (balanced).

There are many kind of shafts out there with different specifications.

For TT series, there are R200 to R400, S200 to S400 and X100 to X300. The alphabet obvious states the flex of each iron and the number represents the weight... yes there are lighter shafts that are stiffer than heavier ones. X100 is stiffer than S400 but the weight difference is only 2 to 4 grams difference.

am i confusing you already?

Master... am i selected to do more than strip grips and clean shafts now?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:10 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
If you are not looking for the usual "go-to-a-clubfitter" advise... then...

rule of thumb here for most average folk is the faster your swing speed, the heavier shaft you should get.

But exactly how heavy it should be? Well, go to a cl..... okok. u want some other answer?

first of all,

how are your shot shapes now?
What kind of distances are you hitting with your clubs?
what kind of ball flight would you like to achieve?
what are looking for exactly?
increasing distances? or controlling dispersion? You can never find the best of these 2 worlds, but you can find a healthy compromise (balanced).

There are many kind of shafts out there with different specifications.

For TT series, there are R200 to R400, S200 to S400 and X100 to X300. The alphabet obvious states the flex of each iron and the number represents the weight... yes there are lighter shafts that are stiffer than heavier ones. X100 is stiffer than S400 but the weight difference is only 2 to 4 grams difference.

am i confusing you already?

Master... am i selected to do more than strip grips and clean shafts now?

Hi MC

thanks you so much for the effort trying to confuse me....haha !!

if possible, could you make another effort explain to me what does it mean by "angle of attack" ?

i think most of the questions you have stated is more related to shaft flexs, kick point, torque in which i believe there are definitely many variation of these factors in both light and heavy shaft

this is just my thought, i guess most probably i could be wrong...haha !!

thank you

snowman
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:12 am

this one no effort.

angle of attack mean the angle that u are attacking loh....

no?

ok ok... angle that your club is coming in hit the ball? some people sweep. some ppl hit it down. kapish?
Back to top Go down
Aloyboy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Aloyboy

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:16 am

golf_snowman wrote:
Hi bro Aloyboy and hillgreen

hmm....so the reason for heavier shaft is that it helps to stabilise swing path, less variation that could have being cause by the golfer...thus promote better ball flight...

is that especially true for people like me who has a steeper in angle of attack ?

snowman

Is a matter of wat ure used to. Up to individual. I think the best is to aproach a professional on this matter.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
this one no effort.

angle of attack mean the angle that u are attacking loh....

no?

ok ok... angle that your club is coming in hit the ball? some people sweep. some ppl hit it down. kapish?

so it's like swing path lah..is it ?...keke

some steeper swing path, some gentle swing path...is it, is it ?

keke

snowman
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 am

rule of thumbs do not apply to everyone... it covers most people but there are some people who are just weird.

I have seen ppl who have slower swing speed than me using lower lofted drivers with stiffer shafts than me... and yes. their ball still fly. but of course not as far as me. *beaming*

they hit 200m down the fairway. i hit 250m into the OB area. *still beaming*
Back to top Go down
Aloyboy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Aloyboy

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:21 am

haaha muar chee.....

play 79 wor...

OB? i doubt it lor
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:25 am

i played 100 yday. why u doubt?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 am

hi guys ...

Topic OFF ...haha !!

MC's ability, i have no doubt at all...

can we go back to the topic ?...keke

snowman
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 am

golf_snowman wrote:
hi guys ...

Topic OFF ...haha !!

MC's ability, i have no doubt at all...

can we go back to the topic ?...keke

snowman

sorry boss... but snowman... what are u trying to achieve here? honestly this is a topic that i also have been wondering.

i like to play 70S in my driver... then he plays 60X...
I like my irons firm. PX5.5... then my idol X100s... i think... or S300s....

it is working well for both of us... or at least very established in my idol's case.... but still...

hmmm.... *in deep thought* *donut*... mmmm.....
Back to top Go down
TeD
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 am

Dunno is this OT>?
how is the weight vs flex ratio?
Do they relate to each other?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?   How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to know if you are suitable to use heavier shaft or lighter shaft ?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next