Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?

Go down 
+7
Sutos101
HyBriD
waltzy
nemesis_v
mrkatsucurry
BabyCroc
garylin
11 posters
AuthorMessage
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? Empty
PostSubject: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi guys,

Notice something weird with my wedges.. Their distance is drastically reduced as compared to my irons. Here are my distances:

7i(35*) - 140m
8i(39*) - 130m
9i(43*) - 120m
P(47*) - 110m
52* - 85m
56* - 75m

My irons are TM MC with 950 NS PRO while wedges are Vokeys with DG300. Should I get NSPRO950 for my wedges as well?
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 10:31 pm

I assume these are full swing distances?

I used to be playing the 52,56 combi and had the same distance gap as you from P down to 52.

There's a couple of ways:

If you wanna keep the same swing, change your lofts. Bend your vokeys to 51,55. Otherwise, change your wedge setup to 50,54 and maybe a 58 if you need a lob wedge for deep bunkers. With your distance, I'm also assuming you wldnt need that many long clubs so you shd be able to accommodate 3 wedges if needed. Also gives you a new reason to buy new equipment. Lol

The other cheaper way to fill the gap requires practice. Try doing a 3/4 swing on your pw or maybe a 1/2 swing on your 7i or 8i. You might be able to fill the 90-100 gap.

NS Pros 950 tend to be softer at the tip and gives more kick for easy launching of irons. However, it might not work well on wedges cos its not firm enough to hold the weight of the heavier wedge heads. The dg300 would definitely give you more control than your NsPros in terms of dispersion.
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 11:38 pm

Maybe experiment with the ball position on the 52 and 56?

Ball a bit back towards your right leg, maybe a quarter to half a ball left.

So in effect you're reducing loft, or punching it a bit

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
nemesis_v
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 4:54 pm

I prefer heavier shaft as my tempo is quite fast.
Back to top Go down
waltzy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
waltzy

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Wedges are not for distance... wedges are for accuracy.. if you can hit 85m and 75m consistently and relatively straight. You will eat other ppl's lunch. If you think the 2 distance is too close, bend one a few degrees.
Back to top Go down
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:20 am

hi bros, thanks for the advice. Problem is my wedges are also not consistent.. top, duff, etc. That's why I'm considering changing the shaft to the same ones as my irons. However, have not see anyone using a light shaft for wedge. Is it advisable?
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Wedge shaft are usually made heavier.

They can start from D2 , for approach/GAP wedge
and D4 to D6 for SW or LW

I prefer a heavier shaft, D4 for my 52 to 56
and D6 for my SW

Wedge are our scoring clubs.

Just don't be envious on people who can hit long on the SW.

What count most is how you can control and lay up your ball...near to the PIN.

Just look at Luke Donald. He may not be the biggest hitter but his irons and wedge are accurate and consistent
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Sutos101
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but wedges are shorter compare to other irons. To get the same total weight it needs a heavier shaft which leads to a heavier swing weight to feel the club head.
Back to top Go down
cjc81
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Sutos101 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wedges are shorter compare to other irons. To get the same total weight it needs a heavier shaft which leads to a heavier swing weight to feel the club head.

Yes, at the same time, wedges usually already have much heavier head weight as well, probably the heaviest in the bag.

Heavier shafts will definitely increase the total weight, but not the swingweight. Swingweight measures the weight balance on the club betweent he shaft end and the head. All other parameters being equal (I.e., same head, same grips), switching to a heavier shaft increases the total weight of the club, but it reduces the swing weight.

Since wedges are hardly used on full shots, heavier total weight and swingweight slows down the swing which promotes better precision for distance control.
Back to top Go down
Sutos101
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 1:54 pm

cjc81 wrote:
Sutos101 wrote:

Yes, at the same time, wedges usually already have much heavier head weight as well, probably the heaviest in the bag.

Heavier shafts will definitely increase the total weight, but not the swingweight. Swingweight measures the weight balance on the club betweent he shaft end and the head. All other parameters being equal (I.e., same head, same grips), switching to a heavier shaft increases the total weight of the club, but it reduces the swing weight.

Since wedges are hardly used on full shots, heavier total weight and swingweight slows down the swing which promotes better precision for distance control.

Am I correct to assume heavier swing weight will promote the feel of the club head?
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 11:08 pm

yes correct, heavier swing weight, u can feel the club head more. for wedge i like it to be heavy
Back to top Go down
Sutos101
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 10:53 am

So conclusion is heavier shaft needs heavier swing weight?
Back to top Go down
fatmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
fatmax

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Hey gurus, may I ask wats a good loft to use as sand wedge? 56/58/60? Also will a DG spinner or KBS hi rev be better for sand/approach applications? Or which is better in imparting spin?

Than x in advance
Back to top Go down
Sutos101
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:17 pm

My choice would be 56 with 12deg bounce with kbs hi rev
Back to top Go down
fatmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
fatmax

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Than sutos, thy can fit to a D4/5/6 swing wt? Cn u advise on costs?
Back to top Go down
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 pm

hi friends, how would you all advise to cover the 90-100m gap I have in that case? a 50* wedge or half swing P ?
Back to top Go down
Sutos101
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:48 pm

fatmax wrote:
Than sutos, thy can fit to a D4/5/6 swing wt? Cn u advise on costs?

A club fitter should give a better analysis based on your swing and cost really depend on the set up you choose.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:56 pm

garylin wrote:
hi friends, how would you all advise to cover the 90-100m gap I have in that case? a 50* wedge or half swing P ?

i'd go for half swing p or full swing 52
Back to top Go down
jloo61
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 11:17 am

Hi Gary
Ur irons is about 95grams +/- and ur wedges on S300 is about 125grams +/-

30 grams is a big gap.
Maybe u should try something about 105 to 110 grams shafts.
maybe also get ur loft angle chance, 52 to 51 and ur 56 to 55.
normally the wedges are slightly heavier then the irons, also the swing weight.about 2 to 3 points higher.
try doing this, it might help.

Cheers mate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?   Wedge shaft - Is heavier better? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wedge shaft - Is heavier better?
Page 1 of 1