Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?

Go down 
+13
myeow
pushslice
kuan
HyBriD
Derek
andrew-golf
golf_snowman
ChrisD
slinger
ron81
Joshua
Bangla123
Denmeister
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 3:57 pm

hahahaha Laughing andrew's throwing the ball anecdote and lag putting is the same. It's about gauging the right power to apply to the ball so that your ball stops near the hole (or in throwing the ball so that the ball reach the catcher just rite)

from our game, I saw you lack of sense in distance control, i.e. many times your lag putts end beyond the hole too far or far too short. Slinger's tip will address that.

lag putting at >11 stimp is damn hard though. At Serapong, I putted at practice green for a good 15mins before the game and its speed is no way near the actual greens.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 4:01 pm

pushslice wrote:
hahahaha Laughing andrew's throwing the ball anecdote and lag putting is the same. It's about gauging the right power to apply to the ball so that your ball stops near the hole (or in throwing the ball so that the ball reach the catcher just rite)

from our game, I saw you lack of sense in distance control, i.e. many times your lag putts end beyond the hole too far or far too short. Slinger's tip will address that.

lag putting at >11 stimp is damn hard though. At Serapong, I putted at practice green for a good 15mins before the game and its speed is no way near the actual greens.

i think now my putt should be all way far beyond the hole...becasue i was trying to establish the theory whether i can kill someone by just throwing golf ball at him....haha !!!...so i guess, no chance to be far too short liao...haha !!!
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 4:33 pm

For me, short putt is technical and long putts is feel
Back to top Go down
kuan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kuan

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 4:42 pm

For me, breaking putt (long/short) are all feel and straight (no break) are mostly technical.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Bangla123 wrote:
Probably that and your not used to the iskandar open quality greens ! Smile

Not just Iskandar open quality greens. Anything fast, I go bonkers!!!!
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:15 pm

slinger wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
I recently played at Horizon Hills (JB) where the greens are the fastest amongst all the courses in JB. I had a horrific putting day there! The more holes I played, the less confident I became with my putting.

My home course, RJCC, on the contrary, has slower greens compared to HH.

After reading the Scotty Cameron Owners thread, it got me thinking and I wish to seek advice from you guys:

Will using a lighter putter help when putting on fast greens? And vice versa for slower greens?

My putter is quite heavy and seems to do well at RJ, but I totally cannot putt with it to save my life when playing at HH.

i still believe u need a few more games at HH with the same putter before u decide otherwise....

adaptation is better than retail theraphy....

I totally agree with you about not buying my way to a better putting result. It is just that I am so used to playing on greens that are slower than that of HH and other courses with fast greens. My conscious mind says 1 inch back enough liao, but my subconscious will add another 2 inches. Always fighting this battle at HH. By writing this down, I know for sure that I am not trusting my instincts much during my golf games. This may be the reason why my progress is so stagnant
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:20 pm

bro...

dun let a game in HH bother you too much....we all know the green in HH is crazy...

I have the same experience in HH also...for the 1st 5 holes, i was like having 3 putt, 4 putt...the green was freaking fast...and had my worst score there...

like Slinger say, i was also hoping I can play a few more round in HH to know the course well...hmm, maybe i should set that as my new target...keke
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:22 pm

ChrisD wrote:
Demi, u can seek to buy the "Edel" putter where they can do weight adjustable prior to any games. But the price is high.
Concept is one putter head for all greens.
I do have 9 putters and it's used for green speed rating of 2-10.
Find it difficult to bring all 9 to the game.

Hahahaha just kidding..

No la, Bro.
I think I better practice listening to my instincts more rather than buy another putter.

Just need to conquer this fear by playing on fast greens more often.

I will talk to RJCC's greenskeeper to demand him to make the greens faster!!!

Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:28 pm

HyBriD wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
I recently played at Horizon Hills (JB) where the greens are the fastest amongst all the courses in JB. I had a horrific putting day there! The more holes I played, the less confident I became with my putting.

My home course, RJCC, on the contrary, has slower greens compared to HH.

After reading the Scotty Cameron Owners thread, it got me thinking and I wish to seek advice from you guys:

Will using a lighter putter help when putting on fast greens? And vice versa for slower greens?

My putter is quite heavy and seems to do well at RJ, but I totally cannot putt with it to save my life when playing at HH.

Hey,

I prefer a heavy putter than using a light head.
Becoz I am more of a "feel" putter.

One tip if the green is fast is to....

...walk while count how many steps from your ball marker to the cup

remember how many steps you do and the number of steps is how many "inch" of backswing you will do...when putting

for example, if you made 10step...it means u make a 10inch swing if its a regular green.

now if the green is fast. Just make a 5inch swing

depending on the lie....

if its a downhill putt lessen it..like 2.5inch
if its a uphill putt just add a half an inch or 1inch

for example, if you made a 5 step, so it shud be a 5iinch swing....
if its uphill make a 3inch swing if its an uphill putt

hope this helps

Hi Bro,

I used to do that too. And it did bring me success but after a while, unknowingly, it did not work. Now I am using a method taught to me by my first coach.

Use 4 practice swings:
1) Swing so that it will bring the ball past the hole
2) Swing so that it will be short of the hole
3) Swing in between the above two strokes, which should be the correct strength to get it to the hole
4) Practice swing #3 one more time.

It works too. But maybe due to my concentration level dropping, I seem to be less focused while I am doing the above. Hai.... getting old. Everything in golf seems so hard currently.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Dun be like me... Buy n buy n buy

Till my buddies have to bet with me not to change equipment for 6 months. Else I have to buy crab dinner...

Practice lor
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Joshua

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Quoted from andrew"

once i fitted for a putter at a Well known brand putter fitter..

i told him...

"im struggling with long putts.. how to guage the strength?""

what he did subsequently is ...

"this is air con room ah..."

He asked me to step away a short distance. den grab a golf ball and throw at him..

den he asked me... "how to u guage the strength to throw the ball to me from your distance"

i replied " i dun know.. jus feel lor.."

and he smiled at me... i got the answer...

Ya Loh that's what I meant. When armed with good putting fundamentals one shld just let the human natural instinct take over in the distance and strength gauging. Educating the putting hands is better than frequent reconfiguring of putter weight for different greens

Last edited by Joshua on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:34 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
bro...

dun let a game in HH bother you too much....we all know the green in HH is crazy...

I have the same experience in HH also...for the 1st 5 holes, i was like having 3 putt, 4 putt...the green was freaking fast...and had my worst score there...

like Slinger say, i was also hoping I can play a few more round in HH to know the course well...hmm, maybe i should set that as my new target...keke

Well, it's the best course in JB now. For Johorians, the price is quite steep when we compare it with other courses where we can get a game for below RM100.00. But no doubt, it is the best maintained and newest.

I must just keep on psychoing myself," I love fast greens! I love fast greens! I putt well on fast greens!" See if this works.
Back to top Go down
ron81
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ron81

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:43 pm

andrew-golf wrote:

Till my buddies have to bet with me not to change equipment for 6 months. Else I have to buy crab dinner...

Practice lor

Hahaha, now I know where this crab thing comes from.. I've more goodies to sell leh, ai mai? hahaha..

I think putting with feel works right for me. It's just that day with all the putting screwed up at HH for me as well. But definitely on your next trip there, you will see improvement.

HH is a place I always remembered, 1st when I broke my 90 was there, 1st when I lose alot of money was there, 1st I played with a flight-mate who hole-in-one was there. haha..
Back to top Go down
myeow
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 12:00 am

walau.... this thread is making me nervous because I am playing HH tomorrow for the first time. For a start, my putting sucks and now with the fast green!? sure pitchar tomorrow.

I will try to experiement with slower putting stroke to counter fast green.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 12:35 am

myeow wrote:
walau.... this thread is making me nervous because I am playing HH tomorrow for the first time. For a start, my putting sucks and now with the fast green!? sure pitchar tomorrow.

haha..good luck bro..

just go easy on the putter...
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 1:41 am

andrew-golf wrote:

i told him...

He asked me to step away a short distance. den grab a golf ball and throw at him..

den he asked me... "how to u guage the strength to throw the ball to me from your distance"

How come is the same person whom taught me the same thing one ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 7:58 am

Slicer51 wrote:
andrew-golf wrote:

i told him...

How come is the same person whom taught me the same thing one ? Laughing

Because we went to fit the same brand of putter???? Razz Razz

Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 7:58 am

ron81 wrote:
andrew-golf wrote:

Practice lor

Hahaha, now I know where this crab thing comes from.. I've more goodies to sell leh, ai mai? hahaha..

Thank you ah!
Back to top Go down
myeow
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:59 am

golf_snowman wrote:
myeow wrote:

haha..good luck bro..

Thanks for the advise bro. I managed to take it easy with my putter as I did not throw it into the pond after the frustrating round!... Mad
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 12:02 pm

myeow wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
myeow wrote:

haha..good luck bro..

Thanks for the advise bro. I managed to take it easy with my putter as I did not throw it into the pond after the frustrating round!... Mad

good to hear you sruvive the HH game...i almost wanted to kill myself there....haha !!!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 12:34 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
myeow wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
myeow wrote:

haha..good luck bro..

good to hear you sruvive the HH game...i almost wanted to kill myself there....haha !!!

After that, putting on a slow green will feel like slamp-dunking a basketball into the dustbin. Piece of cake.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
myeow wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
myeow wrote:

haha..good luck bro..

After that, putting on a slow green will feel like slamp-dunking a basketball into the dustbin. Piece of cake.

haha....after i had my game in HH, i play in OCC...also almost wanna kill myself...green was so slow....my putting pace was totally gone after that 2 games.....haha
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 6:46 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
myeow wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
myeow wrote:

haha..good luck bro..

haha....after i had my game in HH, i play in OCC...also almost wanna kill myself...green was so slow....my putting pace was totally gone after that 2 games.....haha

All in the mind, all in the mind..... in the mind my as*!

I know how frustrating it can be when a seemingly straight uphill birdie putt about 2 feet can be missed. It may be straight, but when confidence is low, a 2" putt can feel like a 1km putt!!!

I almost wanted to give up golf after playing fast greens.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 8:09 am

Hi folks,

Reviving this old thread after reading a WTS thread on an older model Scotty Newport 2.5 which DGman commented that it was a lighter putter. I have attached his post here,

DGman wrote:
shamusan wrote:
dgman, care to sell the 2.5?

its a light putter which you might like and i will sell you for the same price i bought...only because you are tried to be patient.....

take it out for a spin if you wish, if not, it will remain as a back up when i play Augusta.....

DGman

If I am reading it correctly, he implied that a lighter putter is more suitable for fast greens ( Augusta).

That got me thinking, again,

1) if I am currently using a 350g head on slow greens, what is considered light when comparing with my putter? 10 percent lighter or more?

2) if using the same stroke, the lighter putter will travel a shorter distance than the heavier putter on the same green. So if my most comfortable smallest stroke is a 3inch back and through, then using a lighter putter may be a logical option for fast greens. Correct?

The reason why I am saying this is, there will be times when the mind says 1inch back enough for this fast green, but the hands just can't accept it and still go longer than that. I don't think I am alone here.

What u guys think?

Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:22 am

Kinda makes sense. Is it all the problem inside our head or does lighter putter helps. Sometime when its uphill, we keep telling ourselves, uphill...uphill, we are still chicken short.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next