Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft

Go down 
+12
eiji
alvinlee
bono
pushslice
samT
tronos
DGman
pocketace
DRGjr72
JonL_TK
simoner
jurongtiger
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 4:45 am

http://www.peakperformancegolfswing.com/stock-shaft-vs-true-aftermarket-shaft/

This video shows the difference in "integrity" between a stock haft from a major manufacturer against a "true" aftermarket shaft - both graphite shafts for drivers.

Any take from this? DGMan and club fitters?

Are the stock shaft really that bad?
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 7:09 am

That's what I heard from a club fitter once when I was at his shop. He was telling me that a brand stock staff probably cost nothing more that USD5 per piece.

However, I am using a G15 with their TFC SR stock shaft and the driver is doing fine for me.

So I am quite puzzled by it.
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 7:32 am

Interesting... No wonder i can bomb it 10-20m more with my new head + aftermarket shaft as compared to my old driver
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 7:35 am

I most cases that is probably true. I think it depends on the stock shaft offering.

Most companies are using large purchases to draw down the price per unit in the club head, shaft, grip, etc. (economies of scale where price per unit drops due to an increase in production). Also the "stock" offerings are typically "made for" shafts by specific shaft companies and differ slightly from the true aftermarket shaft specs. In some cases they will be identical, it really depends on the shaft. I recall on another board there was a huge discussion about the Fubuki 350 tip v. Fubuki 335 tip and the differences of the stock 350 version and the tour 335 version. They were pretty small differences, so unless you are a shaft aficionado or gear head you would never come across this information and would assume that what Callaway, Titleist, TM or whomever is giving you is correct.

There is also less attention to detail with respect to quality control on the stock offering in many cases. It is cheaper for them to remedy the situation with you after the purchase if the shaft is mismarked. You will see many stock shafts that are off in flex, torque ratings, etc. However this is not always the case and many times you will find a stock offering that is right on the money.

Many companies now offer at an up charge the ability to have a "custom" shaft put into one of their heads. They did this as a result of seeing the success of fitters and club repair shops across the world (trying to get a piece of that pie).

If your stock offering is working don't rock the boat. But sometimes when a driver, fairway wood, or hybrid...there could be an issue with the stock shaft...that is assuming you did not change it to an aftermarket shaft (then it most likely will be user error).

Golf is such a crazy game. Just one more thing to be concerned with......

DGman might be able to elaborate a little more on this.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 8:53 am

Interesting post. Guess all discerning readers will take it with a pinch of salt. Ultimately it boils down to wat you want. I doubt most 24 hcpers can gain much (distance and accuracy) from a $300 aftermarket shaft upgrade. I agree with Dan, the game can be crazily complex or ridiculously simple. Sometimes it's psychological. If it makes you happier with the game and you are convinced it'll help. Go for it!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 9:12 am

i was alerted to this by a friend and customer from the UK.

My take..

1. he exaggerated the difference, OEM and aftermarket is very different but the video choose to be very one sided.

2. where he clamp the OEM shaft and the "aftermarket" are at different points in the video. i can almost sense that he is out to destroy that OEM shaft while his efforts on the aftermarket was a little more sympathetic. looks like at least 3 to 4 inch difference in the clamped point which means different wall thickness and shaft diameter.

3. he could have used flex and torque to explain his cause.

4. also OEM shaft tends to use thicker and less wrap while aftermarket shafts uses thinner micron wraps and employ more layering (horizontal, vertical and multi-directional).

DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 9:58 am

aftermarket will more accurately reflect your swing = after market shaft will slice or hook more LOL..just kidding
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 12:16 pm

When I posted this I have no doubt that DGMan wld offer his unbiased but open take on this.

Thanks boss. Smile

DGman wrote:
i was alerted to this by a friend and customer from the UK.

My take..

1. he exaggerated the difference, OEM and aftermarket is very different but the video choose to be very one sided.

2. where he clamp the OEM shaft and the "aftermarket" are at different points in the video. i can almost sense that he is out to destroy that OEM shaft while his efforts on the aftermarket was a little more sympathetic. looks like at least 3 to 4 inch difference in the clamped point which means different wall thickness and shaft diameter.

3. he could have used flex and torque to explain his cause.

4. also OEM shaft tends to use thicker and less wrap while aftermarket shafts uses thinner micron wraps and employ more layering (horizontal, vertical and multi-directional).

DGman

Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 2:14 pm

I sincerely hope that this thread does not cheapen the values of some pull-out shafts on sale in GR.

I agree with Eric. I think the chap is bit extreme to make a point that bear no consideration of the golf industry, as in many industries, that offers differentiated products to suit varying customers' need and affordability. Question is "Does cheap means bad?"
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 2:56 pm

for the after market shaft, did he use a NV shaft and called its a high quality shaft????
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 2:58 pm

SamT, you got me questioning:

Is the True Temper DG, Project X, B.STour andd NSPro shafts installed as stock on new iron sets the same as if we were to buy them from aftermarket (from clubfitter or golf component seller)?

I understand OEM graphite shafts looks different from aftermarket ones, they are branded different as well e.g. UST designed for TM etc, but the stock steel shafts on iron sets "look" exactly the same leh

anyone can advise?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 3:02 pm

so far as far as steel shaft goes...i have not seen any difference for OEM and aftermarket.

the only consideration is the prep work such as spine-ing, etc.

DGman
Back to top Go down
bono
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 5:47 pm

DGman wrote:
so far as far as steel shaft goes...i have not seen any difference for OEM and aftermarket.

DGman

Eric, on your point. Does this mean that one would definitely benefit from simply sending in stock shafts (both steel or graphite) for spine-ing and re-fitting back to the club heads? Been contemplating doing so for the longest time.
Back to top Go down
alvinlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 5:54 pm

I just broke my 7 iron stock steel shaft from my Ben hogans...looked inside after retrieving if from the range and found that it was abit rusted.
Is that normal? But granted, this is a 15 year old club.
Was told before i needed to change my shafts...this just propelled me to set a date for re-fitting haha...
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Alvin, your backside is the strongest in GR

Or

youre the stingiest golfer in gr.

ROFL
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 10:08 pm

bono wrote:
DGman wrote:

DGman

Eric, on your point. Does this mean that one would definitely benefit from simply sending in stock shafts (both steel or graphite) for spine-ing and re-fitting back to the club heads? Been contemplating doing so for the longest time.

you guys have to ask Boboking...he knows whether it was money well spent or otherwise.

DGman
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 11:21 pm

alvinlee wrote:
I just broke my 7 iron stock steel shaft from my Ben hogans...looked inside after retrieving if from the range and found that it was abit rusted.
Is that normal? But granted, this is a 15 year old club.
Was told before i needed to change my shafts...this just propelled me to set a date for re-fitting haha...

i went to the den today to fit back my 7iron head which flew off during my last range on wednesday...

ended up spending 2k+ on a new set of irons on rombax shafts.

will need to hit it more to get use to them, hopefully i wont play too badly the next few games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 11:24 pm

the last time the shaft was daylight was about 2 ++ years ago. and you will never ever get a set of shaft like this....

the reason is simple, the factory that makes these shafts is reportedly destroyed by tsunami.

DGman
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 11:28 pm

Priceless......Eiji!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 11:31 pm

DGman wrote:
the last time the shaft was daylight was about 2 ++ years ago. and you will never ever get a set of shaft like this....

the reason is simple, the factory that makes these shafts is reportedly destroyed by tsunami.

DGman

Yeah...but the moment u showed it to me...u knew in your heart it was sold.

@asahi: its not really priceless, everything can be sold for the right price, but the right price for this set of irons might appreciate once i can have a go at them on sunday. what's priceless is the privilege of being brought to the storeroom with Eric. the experience in there is truly priceless Razz
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 11:37 pm

yea, I agree.....oops. Suspect
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi DGman, can explain a bit on what's spine-ing and what result will this prep work bring to the club?

Recently someone tried my club at range and told me that my club has got a lot of vibration at impact. At the same time, I find that the back of my right palm is having some pain after using this set for few months. Does this 2 have any relation?

BTW my club comes with stock NS Pro 950 Stiff shaft.
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
kian

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 12:09 am

N!
wat new toys u bought?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 12:10 am

kian wrote:
N!
wat new toys u bought?

see on sunday.
Back to top Go down
bono
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 7:15 am

pushslice wrote:
Alvin, your backside is the strongest in GR

Or

youre the stingiest golfer in gr.

ROFL

Or my pocket ain't as deep as other golfers in GR tongue .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft   Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stock Shaft vs. True Aftermarket Shaft
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next