Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question on aftermarket shaft

Go down 
+7
honkytong
slinger
Quest
enwee
Khorkar
DRGjr72
Shellman
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Shellman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Question on aftermarket shaft Empty
PostSubject: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 12:37 am

Hi, 1 month ago I embarked on my first 'fitting' by fixing a 2nd aftermarket shaft to my driver. It is a tour ad quattrotech md5. After reading so much about fitting, spine & etc, I was rather surprise that the fitter fixed the shaft to the driver without spine the shaft. Is this normal?
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 7:00 am

The fitter may or may not offer that service. If they do offer it sometimes they will include it in the charge of the shaft upgrade, sometimes it will be an additional fee.

Here is an article on it:

http://thesandtrap.com/b/bag_drop/shaft_spining_splining_and_pureing_black_art_or_the_ultimate_tweak
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 8:12 am

It also depends on the manufacturer of the shafts where some has indicated where the spine is in the butt. So, may be the fitter have seen it and fitted it accordingly.

So, r u playing well with the new shaft? If you are, then why worry about the spine?
Back to top Go down
Shellman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:50 am

DRG, thanks for the good read. I guess this is a million dollar question. And there will be always different school of thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Shellman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:55 am

Khorkar, sad to say.. Like any newbie, I kind of jumped into changing a 2nd hand shaft without even knowing if it suits me. Lol. I don't see any major differences from my stock shaft. Guess this is going to turn out to be a $150 mistake/lesson. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:58 am

Shellman wrote:
Khorkar, sad to say.. Like any newbie, I kind of jumped into changing a 2nd hand shaft without even knowing if it suits me. Lol. I don't see any major differences from my stock shaft. Guess this is going to turn out to be a $150 mistake/lesson. Embarassed
One fitter told me, you'll not notice the spine unless you are already a single hcpper. Before you jump in, you should check out the profile of shaft does it suit you 1st. Anyway better luck next time.
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 11:03 am

Well, if it's a new shaft, it will take some time to run it in. When I first changed my shaft, nearly wanted to give it up as the ball was not launching well. After 200 - 300 balls, the shaft came to life. So, give it a chance & it could be $$$ well spent.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 7:19 pm

I would say that you need to give it time for the shaft to grow on you and you to get adjusted to it. It will take 1, 3 or even 6 months. When I had my Tour AD throttle, I couldnt play with it for more than 6 months. Only after several hundred of hits on the range that one day it clicked.

So, have patience.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Khorkar wrote:
I would say that you need to give it time for the shaft to grow on you and you to get adjusted to it. It will take 1, 3 or even 6 months. When I had my Tour AD throttle, I couldnt play with it for more than 6 months. Only after several hundred of hits on the range that one day it clicked.

So, have patience.

sure anot..... 6 months??!!

i think its a LOFT problem....

Beer
Back to top Go down
honkytong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 pm

generally aftermarket shafts should provide better stability through impact, but it takes time to adjust to your swing. Im sure with enough practice, you should be able to fully unleash its potential.cheers
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Shellman wrote:

If you are really a newbie, I have this to say. If you are a single handicapper then its a different story to tell. But from an " oldie " or what here we described as a seasoned beginner. Please, in golf, it does not mean if you can afford to spend big money, after hearing good things about a certain golf equipment it doesn't mean it will give you a certain level of standard of upgrade of your skill once you owned it. Please always remember, for me through the hard way like you right now, you will learn that it is the Indian's fault and not the arrow. If you understand that, then you will realized that money can't buy an immediate upgrade to your skill level. To me, there are only 4 ways to improve your golf prowess.

1) Go find a decent coach, and then.....

2) Practice

3) Practice

4) PRACTICE!!!!!

There is no other way.

My 0.00002 cents of worth of info.

titu

Back to top Go down
honkytong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Tituman wrote:
Shellman wrote:

If you are really a newbie, I have this to say. If you are a single handicapper then its a different story to tell. But from an " oldie " or what here we described as a seasoned beginner. Please, in golf, it does not mean if you can afford to spend big money, after hearing good things about a certain golf equipment it doesn't mean it will give you a certain level of standard of upgrade of your skill once you owned it. Please always remember, for me through the hard way like you right now, you will learn that it is the Indian's fault and not the arrow. If you understand that, then you will realized that money can't buy an immediate upgrade to your skill level. To me, there are only 4 ways to improve your golf prowess.

1) Go find a decent coach, and then.....

2) Practice

3) Practice

4) PRACTICE!!!!!

There is no other way.

My 0.00002 cents of worth of info.

titu

well said bro
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 11:55 pm

enwee wrote:
Shellman wrote:
One fitter told me, you'll not notice the spine unless you are already a single hcpper. Before you jump in, you should check out the profile of shaft does it suit you 1st. Anyway better luck next time.

how to notice the spine?
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 11:55 am

audi wrote:
enwee wrote:
Shellman wrote:

how to notice the spine?

Only the pros with their experiences can they feel and tell the difference. People like you and me will NEVER EVER feel it physically. PERIOD ! And thats the truth.

titu
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 5:00 pm

most of the time I can't even feel where my own spine is ... let alone the spine on the golf shaft
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 pm

come back soonla, have a game. we go explore where your spine on the shaft is.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 5:24 pm

tentatively scheduled to come back around May 22nd to May 24th ... looking forward to catching up with you guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question on aftermarket shaft   Question on aftermarket shaft I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question on aftermarket shaft
Page 1 of 1