Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cheapest option to get handicap

Go down 
+25
dsia71
hw_ball
ping_ping
Tituman
golf_snowman
Apprentice
jd8
watermyforrest
jtek
al1388
Roystonnn
fabulous
weesern
hillgreen
Steffan
m0i
mUAr_cHEe
Khorkar
Duval_S
chocoman
G_Man
X-Man
Gray
Uncle Lau
katherinechiok
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 1:37 pm

ping_ping wrote:
katherinechiok wrote:
haha! i started this thread in jul 2009 cos my hcp expires sept 2009 and wanted to renew it.. till now (apr 2010) i havent done so! i'm handicap-less! Embarassed

ok, now i'm really thinking about it.. i dun wan to go thru hcp test or admission charges.. is SSG the one where i can get handicap just by submitting scorecards? can someone advise and who should i contact for me to get (buy) the handicap?

HELP

Hi Katherine, have you tried going thru SGA? My mum helps people with getting handicap thru SGA.

Need to submit 10 scorecards and the fee is $250. Let me know if u need more details ok?

ping..

it's 10 scorecard for 9 holes or 5 scorecard for 18 holes..rite ?

snowman
Back to top Go down
katherinechiok
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
katherinechiok

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 1:37 pm

ping_ping wrote:
katherinechiok wrote:
haha! i started this thread in jul 2009 cos my hcp expires sept 2009 and wanted to renew it.. till now (apr 2010) i havent done so! i'm handicap-less! Embarassed

ok, now i'm really thinking about it.. i dun wan to go thru hcp test or admission charges.. is SSG the one where i can get handicap just by submitting scorecards? can someone advise and who should i contact for me to get (buy) the handicap?

HELP

Hi Katherine, have you tried going thru SGA? My mum helps people with getting handicap thru SGA.

Need to submit 10 scorecards and the fee is $250. Let me know if u need more details ok?

thanks ping ping, i do know people that can help me obtain handicap thru SGA..
just that i heard SSG (USGA) system cost lower, but it's the hassle of going for workshops, quarterly games that puts me off..
Back to top Go down
ping_ping
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
ping_ping wrote:
katherinechiok wrote:

HELP

ping..

it's 10 scorecard for 9 holes or 5 scorecard for 18 holes..rite ?

snowman

The last time i heard, need 10 scorecards for 18holes leh. I can check again ^^ There is also this courtesy round that you have to do with my mum.
Back to top Go down
ping_ping
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 1:44 pm

katherinechiok wrote:
ping_ping wrote:
katherinechiok wrote:

HELP

just that i heard SSG (USGA) system cost lower, but it's the hassle of going for workshops, quarterly games that puts me off..

Oh~ then i think SGA less hassle, but the cost for SSG cheaper. So depends loh. haha ^^ SSG is the cheapest option i heard, but u have to play the monthly medal every month right?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 1:46 pm

ping_ping wrote:
katherinechiok wrote:
ping_ping wrote:
katherinechiok wrote:

HELP

Oh~ then i think SGA less hassle, but the cost for SSG cheaper. So depends loh. haha ^^ SSG is the cheapest option i heard, but u have to play the monthly medal every month right?

i heard the monthly game is not cheap and if you cater the cost in..the annual $$ woudl be relatively higher...

Ping, you mention SGA..u mean Singapore Golf Association ?

snowman
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 1:59 pm

i believe is SGA club. SGA does not maintain HCP for us, they are the governing body in SG.

From what I read somewhere, the previous association need to keep you HCP for 1 year after you stop your membership with them before they can cancel it.

If your HCP still valid (think can check from SGA website), just do a transfer
Back to top Go down
ping_ping
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 2:04 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
ping_ping wrote:
katherinechiok wrote:
ping_ping wrote:
katherinechiok wrote:

HELP

i heard the monthly game is not cheap and if you cater the cost in..the annual $$ woudl be relatively higher...

Ping, you mention SGA..u mean Singapore Golf Association ?

snowman

Yes =)
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 2:07 pm

wow...sound confuse ...one say SGA dun maintain handicap, one say it does....haha !!
Back to top Go down
hw_ball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi,

I believe Ping Ping is refering to SGA Golf Club (SGAGC) which is a golf club without real estate, formed by the Singapore Golf Association, with the objective of:

a. Promoting golf in Singapore

b. Providing opportunities for members to
i) play golf on a regular basis
ii) qualify for and maintain a United States Golf Association (USGA) Handicap Index

c. Organising golf games, competitions and tournaments for the benefit of its members.

Presently, the rate for new membership is @ $180 per yr. For renewal of membership, the rate is $180 per yr or $300 for 2 years.

More info pertaining to obtaining golf handicap, annual membership, etc can be found on their website: www.sgaclub.com.sg

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 2:18 pm

wow..now that is even more confusing now...haha !!
Back to top Go down
dsia71
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dsia71

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 3:44 pm

I am a member of SGA club.

Not to confuse SGA with SGA club.

The latter is for poor people like me...who cannot afford a country club membership to maintain my handicap.

SGA Club requires a submission of 4 X 18 holes score card per year (quarterly).

If you drive and join AA, you can join AA golf network.
You just need to play a courtesy round with the Pro ( 9 holes) after submitting 5 X 18 score cards in order for AA Golf Network to maintain your handicap.

They (AA) claim they are the cheapest to maintain handicap.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 4:08 pm

Quote :
Quote :
golf_snowman wrote:
hi sorry..

the reply e-mail is from SSG that their only take in new applicant with referal, not SGA.

I wonder is there any SSG member here willing to help make an referal ?

thank you.

snowman

hey bro...if you need referral...pm me. I was and still a member of SSG. just FYI....if you not a transfer of HC fm another, they require you to go for theory test and then a 9 hole courtesy game before you submit 5 score cards to be submitted.....BEFORE HC card given.

and of coz, the rule is that one need to participate in at least one monthly medal per Qtr to ensure the appropriateness of the HC
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi Kat, Weesern is correct. They will keep your HC for a year and if you join any other club, you can request your old HC to be transfered to your new club. So you don't have to go thru the hassle of PC and Courtesy round once again. Same as mine. It went lapse but for less than a year and I request for transfer to MGK. Once you have targetted your new club, give them a call and have it transfer. Please do it within a year or faster or you will be hit with PC and HC thingy. Good luck.

Titu
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 5:33 pm

join ssg la.
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 3:39 pm

Got one question.

Got people fail handicap test or (CR), seems like the main thing is etiquette and decent golf play. If you were to apply fresh from test fee, green fees, plus maintenance cost will be ard 300 to 400, am I right?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 3:47 pm

aural wrote:
Got one question.

Got people fail handicap test or (CR), seems like the main thing is etiquette and decent golf play. If you were to apply fresh from test fee, green fees, plus maintenance cost will be ard 300 to 400, am I right?

hi bro

i suggest you join some club like MGK, SSG...etc etc..i think go thru them, have them take care all the thing will be cheaper...give them a call and find out more...
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 4:03 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
aural wrote:
Got one question.

hi bro

i suggest you join some club like MGK, SSG...etc etc..i think go thru them, have them take care all the thing will be cheaper...give them a call and find out more...

I did not actually call but took a look at the fees printed.

Using mgk as e.g, the test (cr) is ard 60+ 70(green fees)+ 160( membership include maintenance and insurance) that works out ard 300-400 depending on other cost involved like buggy charges, mcq test charges.
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 4:05 pm

Btw I was also thinking of charges initially but if the difference is like 30 to 50 bucks then I won't bother that much but which options is the least hassle and fastest route instead.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 4:09 pm

aural wrote:
Got one question.

Hey Aural,

From what I remember of my test, if I were to sum up what the examining pro was looking for in one word, it would be "awareness". In our local lingo, basically don't be a "blur sotong" during your test.

Be aware of your impact on the course, e.g. fill divots, rake bunkers

Be aware of your impact on your flight mates, e.g. don't distract them when they are swinging, know who is supposed to go first, know when it is appropriate to go "out of turn" e.g. if the guy who was supposed to go before you is helping to search for his buggy mates ball, be careful around the green when pitching into green or look for others pitching in if you are walking in ...

Be aware of your impact on other flights, e.g. don't hold up play unnecessarily, shout "FORE" loudly if you hit an errant shot, make sure the flights in front of you are clear, know when you are on a Par 5 so that you can guess the distance of the flight in front of you when teeing off ...

When I chatted with him during the test to ask him what he looks out for in terms of playing ability, his comments were along the lines of being able to launch the ball decently at least half the time, a basic short game (continously going back and forth over the green is NOT good) and not freezing over the ball or having an excessively long pre-shot routine. He understands many people are nervous and that some get more nervous as the test goes on. The actual score is not that important.

I took my Handicap at Marina (MGK) so for those taking there, I will just add one more thing, either practice bunker play until you can get out of the bunkers (aim sideways or backwards) or declare "unplayable" and drop the ball out of the bunker. For really new players, the latter is probably a better option, just make sure you read the rules section on declaring "Unplayable" in case the pro asks you what you are doing.

Derek
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Derek, you cannot declare unplayable lie in the bunker and drop the ball outside the bunker

Rule 28. Ball Unplayable

The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.

If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must, under penalty of one stroke:

a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or

c. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.

If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker.

When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.

Penalty for Breach of Rule:
Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 5:17 pm

eiji, from what u posted, it seems you can but only under clause a

"If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker."
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 5:34 pm

weesern wrote:
eiji, from what u posted, it seems you can but only under clause a

"If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker."

under clause a isn't that still in the bunker, since its as close as possible to where the ball lies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 5:43 pm

My interpretation is you play it from the spot where you first hit it into the bunker
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 5:44 pm

assuming the ball went into the bunker from a tee shot. For clause a, i will pick up the ball from the bunker and go back to the teebox to drop the ball. the teebox is the position last played.

Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 5:46 pm

that's provided you're so scared of bunker that you're willing to take a stroke-and-distance penalty for it. it's equivalent to a loss of 2 strokes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest option to get handicap   Cheapest option to get handicap - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheapest option to get handicap
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next