Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour?

Go down 
+2
asahi
Duval_S
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour? Empty
PostSubject: Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour?    Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 8:23 am

One of those things that make you go hmmmmm!!!

I am just taken aback by this article header fm ...yes you guessed it .....fm US editor

to the golfers :

Not happy...don come

Not happy but want money...then shuddup and come

Not happy ...but don give your best, then .... be prepared for future backlash

this editor.....I think this editor is not reading the news on economics......

Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour?    Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 am

Bro, can share with us the link yo this article or the source? Thks
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour?    Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 am

http://espn.go.com/golf/notebook/_/page/birdiesandbogeys101027/does-asia-swing-make-sense-pga-tour

Thats the link, however, I believe the context of the article is referring is PGA players are suited to play in Asia considering that Asia isn't exactly next door to the US...

There are also other factors like rankings system, prize money etc....
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour?    Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Kudos to our Malaysian frens for being able to bring the PGA tour to this part of the world. Prize Money totalling USD6m is quite good too. Now the challenge is that usually during Fall, all the star players usually dun play. Barring a miracle, dun expect the likes of Tiger, Dustin Johnson or Mickelson.

Americans typically dun travel much unlike the euro tour. That's just an issue on preference, not right or wrong. Anyway I believe PGA tour signed up for 5 years to this CIMB event. Regardless of the quality of PGA tour players who make their way here, it's still a PGA tour event, no less

for those who choose to come, good for em and they have a chance for the prize money. For those who travel around the globe to thus event and miss the cut, that hurts but just part and parcel of the life of a PGA tour player
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour?    Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 3:00 pm

In the article's context , I do agree. But, dont you think that providing such big purse and having cater to PGA is being a sign that Asian Tour isnt strong enough to be on its feet? Why Asian Tour tour made cuts only for Asian players?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour?    Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Tiger is playing a one day skins event in Chonburi on November 8th, total purse is $300 k USD.

Also playing is Paul Casey, Villgegus and Thongchai... it is just after the Shanghai event.

I think the PGA Tour has to look to Asia for its future. Asia is still expanding with golf...

Plus if one of the Asian stars is lucky enough to win one then their PGA Tour career is set... I dont understand why more of them dont make their way to the USA to try out....
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour?    Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does Asia swing make sense for the PGA Tour?
Page 1 of 1