Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

short game...do these make sense?

Go down 
+9
duffader
haragolfer
TLHENG
weesern
alvinlee
Vinny
solarpop
nientsu
Duval_S
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

short game...do these make sense? Empty
PostSubject: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Gotten the read fm one site....but before I try to embrace some of them, tot better to seek views fm the bros and sistas......otherwise, mite screw up the already screw up game of mine.

======================================================

Here are just some of the short game fundamentals important to every golfer.

A consistent swing – even for your short game
You want your swing to be repetitious, deliver consistently good results and be able to be performed on autopilot. This is just as important on your short game, if not more so. Practice chipping, and master it. A few tips: hit down, shorten your backswing, and practice, practice, practice.

Don't copy others
Watch golf pros and emulate certain aspects of their fundamentals, certainly. But remember that every golfer is different in size, weight, physical strength, flexibility, and strengths to their golf game. So just because you can mimic exactly what the best pro golfer does doesn't mean you'll have their exact same results. It's better to develop your own successful swing from your own individual traits and characteristics. Practice makes perfect.

Visualize your shot
Take a look at the golf ball, then take a look at where you want it to go. Visualize the shot going across the green as well as the strength or softness of the swing that you need to get it there.

Have a routine
Regardless of whether you take only one or many practice putts or swings, develop a routine so you do it consistently every time. This will condition your body to know what to expect and make it easier to remember how to do it best.

Warm up before playing
Sometimes, an hour of warm up can help. It may sound like a lot of time to warm up for a recreational player. But you can bet the best golf players take the time to warm up properly and get ready for their golf game. Even if your schedule doesn't allow for a full hour's warm up, at least give yourself as much time as you can to warm up and keep trying to increase that time closer to an hour. Your short game will benefit as will the rest of your game.

Devote at least 50% of your practice time to your short game
Pitches, chips, bunker play, and putting may not all look or feel as glorious or macho as going for the longest drive your muscles can muster, but it will improve your game score immeasurably.

If you think practicing and paying attention to your short game seems dull, try to mix it up for yourself by creating games to practice. You can bet that when you see the strokes come off your score, you'll be having much more fun and the practice you put in will be well worth it.

Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 12:49 pm

"don't copy others"

Always tot ur pre-game routine the night before is watching golf channel???
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 1:55 pm

A) Consistent swing - needless to say is important.

B) Don't copy others - I use my right hand to control my chips, which i guess is quite unorthodox but it works for me.

C) Visualizing - Comes with experience. If you are not sure how the ball is going to react, can't visualize very well either right?

D) Routine - Every golfer will definitely have his own pre-shot routine, so this is a given also.

E) Warm up - Not at all. Everytime i go to the range before the game my score sure jialat.

F) 50% practice on short game - Yes, i do it now. Actually more like 75%.

So i agree with 5 of the 6 suggestions. Most of them are obvious lah and they are the result of practice.. Consider this: If you practice alot (F), you will be consistent (A), and you will know what works for you (B), and how the ball will react therefore can visualize (C), and if you do something so often, human tendency is to develop habits, hence the pre-shot routine (D).
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 3:34 pm

DS,

What you put up in this thread is all correct with some variation to every individual approaching their game. Its all short game (anything from 100m inwards) if you are looking at shaving strokes off your game ~ even breaking the 80's.

How much time you spend on your practise sessions and how constructive you make them out to be determines how well you will do in this game....

Cheers
Back to top Go down
alvinlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 4:59 pm

actually i think to me theres 1 thing which i think u got to know:
and that is the distance of each of your wedges. esp if you have 2 or more, u need to know consistently how far u hit each of them.
that to me is better than feel.
I only use a pitching wedge from 50-125...so i have to struggle with lengthening and shortening of my swing...and also rely on feel. which by the way, feels terrible...

my 2 cents..
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 5:25 pm

My 60 degree only gives me 50 - 60m... so from 50 onwards, I will use different clubs and do full swing. only when below 60m, I will vary my back swing for the distance...

It is quite difficult to say that 30m I use half swing and 20m I use 1/4 swing... different pin placements will require landing area... if the pin is on a slope and it is sloping away from you, you may not want to pitch to the pin. You may want the ball to land before the break and deads off slowly towards the break before it start picking up speed due to the slope...
Back to top Go down
TLHENG
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TLHENG

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Using different amount of back swing to achieve different distances
in chipping is not easy to achieve unless you have the consistency of a pro. Purepoint golf in the states
Teaches social golfers to use clubs with different loft to achieve different distance with same amount of back swing(to 8 o'clock position). I bought their instructional DVDs on how to improve short game and improve my pitching and chipping almost immediately. The confidence it gives me is unbelievable.

Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 6:50 pm

short game bible by Dave pelz. Saved my game. He advocates 3 swings per club x 2 hand postions on grip. 6 distances x 3 wedges.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 7:20 pm

I always make sure there is a overlap in distances between two wedges. And also to know the trajectory for ur short game as well as your irons.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 8:20 pm

during the eve and eve of eve of CNY, I managed to chalk up 2 nine hole games....and I had learnt how to do chip and run around the green with my PW....very happy like bird...
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 8:23 pm

It's also about feeling...
Add a bit of feel to visualizing and you can a whole world of difference
Cleveland
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Duval_S wrote:
during the eve and eve of eve of CNY, I managed to chalk up 2 nine hole games....and I had learnt how to do chip and run around the green with my PW....very happy like bird...

does tat mean i dun have to give u anymore chocolates????

great, we play level from this new year liao...... yahooooooo
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Quote :
slinger wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

My dearest idol #1, I don have the heart to break the news to my partner for the lo-hei game.....as that is the only shot that was working.......

Back to top Go down
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 8:44 pm

I had finished a game this afternoon at OCC...don't know why for the first 3-4 holes, my approach and short game was a total mess...

Strangely after that, it was like the feeling just came back...I just stand, address the ball, look at the target, shuffle my feet, decide how much back swing and just go...after hit, then hope very hard...the less I think about it, the tendency of the ball going to where I want, is higher...

For me, I just practice with 56* and 52* wedges, 1/4 swings, 1/2 swings and full swings. Always give preference to 1/4 and 1/2 swings, at I tend to force it too much for the full swing.

I gave up my 60* as I always over or under cook my approach...prefer to let the ball run more.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
slinger wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

My dearest idol #1, I don have the heart to break the news to my partner for the lo-hei game.....as that is the only shot that was working.......

Drats! My Captain beat me to the request. hehe

But yes, chipping is all about feel lah.....thankfully went down to Laguna earlier to do some short game practice else tmr would have been quite a shocker for me.
1 week of no golf, totally no feel. hiaz....
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 10:24 pm

asahi wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
slinger wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

Drats! My Captain beat me to the request. hehe

But yes, chipping is all about feel lah.....thankfully went down to Laguna earlier to do some short game practice else tmr would have been quite a shocker for me.
1 week of no golf, totally no feel. hiaz....

its not the one week of no golf lah, the alcohol that is causing numbness to your body, thats why no feel... Smile
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 10:33 pm

Wah, Duffy......you definitely my kind......spot on bro!
hahahahaha

Beer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: short game...do these make sense?   short game...do these make sense? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

short game...do these make sense?
Page 1 of 1