Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.

Go down 
+2
Cyp_PGA
TigaWood
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. Empty
PostSubject: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 1:44 pm

At 8.5 Loft, do you need a minimum swing speed to optimize the launch?
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 4:43 pm

yeah mate , better you go see big fish and can tell you the optimum angle and shat that will be the best for you .... i think ( in my knowledge) for 8.5 you need to have 100++ MPH swing speed

that is in my knowledge
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:29 pm

My swing speed is only about 95mph but I am down to about 8.5* as I launch it really high... So, I guess it is not a matter of how FAST you swing. It is about how HIGH you launch...

If that makes sense...
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:38 pm

I think its more like how you hit the ball that determines the ball flight isn't it??? I use a 10.5, but i hit it like i am using a 8.5. I think setup may be the key to high or low ball flight.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:47 pm

Yarra wrote:
My swing speed is only about 95mph but I am down to about 8.5* as I launch it really high... So, I guess it is not a matter of how FAST you swing. It is about how HIGH you launch...

If that makes sense...

Glade to hear that.
Because my speed is slow and trying to have a lower loft for more distant....hopefully.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:52 pm

seebayho wrote:
Yarra wrote:

If that makes sense...

Glade to hear that.
Because my speed is slow and trying to have a lower loft for more distant....hopefully.

sbh,

all things being equal, more carry=more distance as air offers the less resistance.....

more carry=less spin on the ball.....

from what i understand so far....
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:54 pm

slinger wrote:
seebayho wrote:
Yarra wrote:

If that makes sense...

Glade to hear that.

sbh,

all things being equal, more carry=more distance as air offers the less resistance.....

I thought when there is no spin, your ball won't actually carry?
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:54 pm

duffader wrote:
I think its more like how you hit the ball that determines the ball flight isn't it??? I use a 10.5, but i hit it like i am using a 8.5. I think setup may be the key to high or low ball flight.

I have the same problem until Eric and Justine pointed out my mistake.

From Eric: I should tee up my ball more to the left, and it work immediately.
From Justine: I tend to "over Transfer my weight to the left" instead of turning my left hip around .
But once awhile my old habit still creep up.

Try it, it might help .
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:56 pm

slinger wrote:
seebayho wrote:
Yarra wrote:

If that makes sense...

Glade to hear that.

sbh,

wah lan, you killed my hope.........so how ah?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:57 pm

seebayho wrote:
duffader wrote:

I have the same problem until Eric and Justine pointed out my mistake.

From Eric: I should tee up my ball more to the left, and it work immediately.
From Justine: I tend to "over Transfer my weight to the left" instead of turning my left hip around .
But once awhile my old habit still creep up.

Try it, it might help .

Hi sbh, it was justin that told me that i do not have enough spin and thats why my ball doesn't carry. Yeap, one of the methods is to put the ball nearer to my left foot. The height of the tee also make the difference. And I am still in the process of fine tuning these stuff.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:59 pm

less spin as in optinum spin (think abt 3000rpm)

no spin is 0rpm....

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:04 pm

Hmmmm.. confuse....

more carry = less spin (optimum spin @ 3000 rpm)

So if i hit less than 3000 or more than 3000, what would happen?
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:07 pm

I have a 10.5 driver and bought a 13 FW. I found the 13deg great for keppel.
Now I bought a 8.5 so that when I play in bigger fairway I can use it.

I intend to use my 8.5 for big fairway, 13deg for tight Fairway and long par 4 or short par 5.
Does it make sense?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:08 pm

from wat i know...

too less spin, cant carry as u mentioned...

too much spin, ball screw terik on the fairway....no roll
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 pm

seebayho wrote:
I have a 10.5 driver and bought a 13 FW. I found the 13deg great for keppel.
Now I bought a 8.5 so that when I play in bigger fairway I can use it.

I intend to use my 8.5 for big fairway, 13deg for tight Fairway and long par 4 or short par 5.
Does it make sense?

i lup my 13 tour spoon..... my fw finder

i use 8.5 too cos i launch my ball high (my swing)....thus i go for mid/low launch shaft with less spin

are u launching too high for your liking or u prefer more roll... u just need to find the optimum trajectory with the optimum spin..... i think so
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:15 pm

seebayho wrote:
Yarra wrote:

If that makes sense...

Glade to hear that.

It is good to get some height, the air time will help your distance (with the right weather condition, of course) provided your combo gives you the right trajectory, too. If your trajectory goes parabolic with a steep angle of descend as a result of too much spin, it will kill your distance. But if it gives you a flat ball flight at the top, it will travel longer in the air with a better angle of descend, which should give you not only better carry but also a better roll on the ground too.

So, it is much more complicated than simply lowering your loft. It is best to get fitted by a professional who knows what he is doing... As for me... Well, I like to tinker around and pay for my mistake. Seeing is believing, in this instance... Wink
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:20 pm

thank u yarra...... your england defintely better than me to convey what i want to say
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Slinger, looks like my combo will be like yours. 8.5, 13, 18....
I am not launching high. But that can be adjusted.
I was hopping carry 200 and roll 50....and I will be a happy man. Laughing
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:25 pm

roll 50meters!!!!

affraid

if can roll 50m, pls share your secret with me.....
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Colin, these variable differ from person to person. Seriously, get fitted on a launch monitor and you will see what works for you. I'm using 8.5* drivers cos i tend to launch high, but I play a stiffer shaft for better control - this formula may not work for others, although it seems that Yarra and I tend to have similar ballflight characteristics
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 10:06 pm

ghoonk wrote:
Colin, these variable differ from person to person. Seriously, get fitted on a launch monitor and you will see what works for you. I'm using 8.5* drivers cos i tend to launch high, but I play a stiffer shaft for better control - this formula may not work for others, although it seems that Yarra and I tend to have similar ballflight characteristics

ghoonk, can't find better combos for such high-launching players like us. Heavier shaft, stiffest you can handle and lowest loft possible... Always works! Wink
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 10:12 pm

yeah. guess what i have now in the storeroom:

R510TP 9.5* w/ Aldila NV prototype 85X
R510TP 9.5* w/ Aldila NV prototype 85X
R510TP 8.5* w/ Aldila NV prototype 85X
R510TP 8.5* w/ Fujikura Speeder 757 S
R510TP 9.5* w/ Fujikura Speeder 757 S
R510TP 8.5* w/ Graman Proto-K (Kajiki) 70S

and another R510TP 8.5* w/ Graman Proto-K (Kajiki) 70S in Singapore Smile

Just busted the Ozik Matrix X-CON5 (X) shaft on my Adams Speedline 8.5 tour-issue, so I had my fitter here transfer my Speeder 553 Tour-Spec X from one of my R510TP heads with a missing weight cartridge into the Adams head. Should play like a beast again, we shall see next week.

seebayho, reason I don't use an R flex shaft is due to the fact that my spin rates were insanely high on the R510TP head, and I was not only losing distance but was spraying the ball whenever I give my swing a bit more gas (esp when playing into the wind)
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 10:16 pm

ghoonk, seems like a collection of 510TP there... I am trying to get my hands on 1 more 282 with no hotmelt and unbended. It is hard to find a clean one these days and the price is still ridiculously high!

But, on the other hand... I am getting to love my FT-9TA as I getting to master that beast... Also, waiting for my 9064 to arrive but I think Jon is out of town right now...
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm

I saw a 282 going for 275 in our OTHER favourite online forum. Aint touching the 282s cos they are 460cc and not 282cc Razz (unless i'm wrong)

How's the FT-9TA? I got itchy fingers now. Just won a set of X-Forged with PX5.0 shafts on a local auction, will see if the seller meets their end of the deal. Might be my first foray into Callaway - tried the X-Forged with PX5.0 shafts at the shop and they are not too bad at all. Plus, I already have a Callaway staff bag in SG with a certain pro's name on it. I am damn shameless lor
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Put it this way: if you love the 510TP, there is a chance that you will love an FT-9TA even more. But, to get a general idea of what it is, get to demo an FT-Tour with the Aldila Voodoo shaft. You'll be surprised!

Callaway X Forged... not the best Callaway iron ever made, in my opinion. I love the X Tour 1-dot (or 2-dots, the one with a really thin sole and minimal offset?) much better than the X Forged. These irons are NOT available at retail.

I mean, the X Forged not a bad iron, but given the choice and the CHANCE... I'd jump on the tour issue X Tour in a heartbeat... Speaking of which, I know exactly where to get them... Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.   Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does it make sense to put a "R" shaft on a 8.5 deg Head? Need your advice.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next