Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does this make sense to you?

Go down 
+8
jaketang
eiji
weesern
golf_snowman
jimmychoo
watermyforrest
pushslice
ben tang
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

Does this make sense to you? Empty
PostSubject: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:06 am

So I finally got myself to be put on the Trackman to have my swing speed tested. Readings are relative to a 6-iron.

The result:
1. NSPro 95 (R) - from 87.3 to 88.2 mph
2. KBS Tour 90 (S) - 89.2 to 91.3 mph
3. KBS Tour (S) 120g - 88.6 to 91.2 mph
4. KBS Tour (X-S) 130g - 91.3 to 93.4 mph

Does it even make sense? I'm seeing yardages like 170m carry on my 6-iron. Am really thrown off by these figures. What's the conclusion? Should I be looking at changing up the shafts that I am currently playing on my irons?

Dispersions are tighter as I move up the stiffness ladder but the weight is of concern whether I can last a full 18 on it. Any suggestions or pointers is helpful.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:16 am

bro, the difference between KBS90 and KBS Tour X-S is only 40 grams of weight. Think about it, 40 grams. It isnt much, right?

are the dispersion the same for all shafts? Look at dispersion to help make your decision, not just swing speed. Smash factor as well, see which one help you hit the sweet spot more often.

Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:41 am

pushslice wrote:
bro, the difference between KBS90 and KBS Tour X-S is only 40 grams of weight. Think about it, 40 grams. It isnt much, right?

are the dispersion the same for all shafts? Look at dispersion to help make your decision, not just swing speed. Smash factor as well, see which one help you hit the sweet spot more often.

+10

DGMan hits 6 irons longer than me with slower swing speed Sad
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:50 am

On the NSPro, dispersion is anywhere, everywhere but straight. Experienced consistent slight draw shots as stiffness increases with a tighter dispersion. Smash factor on NSPro ranges from a low 1.12 to 1.31. On the KBS XS, it ranges from 1.32 to 1.38. (relative to a 6-iron)

Thing is, yes, agree fully on the 40gm differential but with rounds to be played consecutively over 3 days poses a potential fatigue situation.

Well, in any case, am really looking at if the data captured on Trackman makes sense. Isn't the swing speed of one regardless of the shaft used supposed to be the somewhat in the same range?

Does this mean that I am using the wrong shaft? Am not very keen on KBS shafts as opposed to rifle project x shafts. What would be your suggested specs if the Rifles were picked instead?

Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:53 am

watermyforrest wrote:
pushslice wrote:

+10

DGMan hits 6 irons longer than me with slower swing speed Sad

Hmmm... I supposed u are directing me at how centered the shots at on impact? Any numbers for useful reference?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:25 am

smash factor lor. swing speed is input, ball speed is the output. Smash f is just ratio between ball speed and club/swing speed. With a low smash factor, it indicates that you aint getting the most ball speed from your swing.

looks like your smash f is better on KBS XS, so there you go. Not only you are swinging faster, you are also getting more ball speed out of your swing.

why youre swinging faster with diff/heavier shafts...i dunno. Let the physics/golfworks clubmaking graduate explain. My layman logic is as such: try throwing a pencil and a heavier/metal pen (but same length). bet you will be able to throw the pen further.
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:39 am

pushslice wrote:
smash factor lor. swing speed is input, ball speed is the output. Smash f is just ratio between ball speed and club/swing speed. With a low smash factor, it indicates that you aint getting the most ball speed from your swing.

looks like your smash f is better on KBS XS, so there you go. Not only you are swinging faster, you are also getting more ball speed out of your swing.

why youre swinging faster with diff/heavier shafts...i dunno. Let the physics/golfworks clubmaking graduate explain. My layman logic is as such: try throwing a pencil and a heavier/metal pen (but same length). bet you will be able to throw the pen further.

Haha, lol... This is one of the simplest yet most effective way of rationalizing the mystifying subject of physics in motion bro! Really dig the way you put it! Pencil vs Pen! Cool!

Anyway, anyone on the rifle PX 7.0 and have used the KBS XS previously or vice versa? Like to give an opinion on feel, ball flight and consistency? My shots are ballooning over heights of 30m for my irons. And I am talking abt my 5 to P-irons even when fitted on a KBS XS. Or is it a problem with my swing? AOA reads a whole set of negative figures on Trackman. Its totally senseless...
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:41 am

I think the only only way that can explain this is you start off with your NS pro shaft. Than slowly going into the 130g shaft.
This is call warmed up effect. drunken
Try the other way round next time and see what's the result Wink
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:50 am

i have heard some prefer PX, while some like KBS..i guess it is really up to individual.

I have also heard some say KBS feel softer than PX, i guess maybe the tip flex could be difference, but i strongly suggest you give PX a try before making any decision to go for the shaft.

If refer to the stats from PGA player, their AOA on irons are mostly negative , thus, unless you are really hitting a lot more on the negative side, minus a few degree should be ok for iron play....

i agree with PS about shot dispersion...that is what you should really look for even it means a few metre shorter...

good luck to your new shaft selection !!
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:52 am

jimmychoo wrote:
I think the only only way that can explain this is you start off with your NS pro shaft. Than slowly going into the 130g shaft.
This is call warmed up effect. drunken
Try the other way round next time and see what's the result Wink

Tried bro... Regular to stiffys, then reverse order over 2 sessions spread over 2 days. Same set of results.

The objective, by the way, in starting this thread is really to find out what shafts are there available in the mkt that can help me achieve the following (of course assuming nothing is horribly wrong with my swing...):

1. A lower, boring ball flight which can help me eliminate the ballooning trajectory that I currently experience on my iron shots
2. A suitable flex (likely an X-S) with a more manageable weight for consecutive rounds over 3 days

Any suggestions would be good...
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:58 am

golf_snowman wrote:
i have heard some prefer PX, while some like KBS..i guess it is really up to individual.

I have also heard some say KBS feel softer than PX, i guess maybe the tip flex could be difference, but i strongly suggest you give PX a try before making any decision to go for the shaft.

If refer to the stats from PGA player, their AOA on irons are mostly negative , thus, unless you are really hitting a lot more on the negative side, minus a few degree should be ok for iron play....

i agree with PS about shot dispersion...that is what you should really look for even it means a few metre shorter...

good luck to your new shaft selection !!

Good advice. Many thanks mate.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:58 am

Are you going to Shenzen for the Mission Hills golfathon?
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:01 pm

pushslice wrote:
Are you going to Shenzen for the Mission Hills golfathon?

Nope. More like planning a "golfathon" of my own. Laughing
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:05 pm

Ok.... never notice your swing speed. You are swinging your 6 iron with the speed of my driver affraid
A regular shaft can never take your speed. You have to go for a much stiffer flex, not necessary heavier but stronger flex, lower torque shaft to put your swing in control.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:16 pm

high ball flight may be due to spin rate, if u have are using a trackman, i guess there is a clubfitter as well, he should be able to answer these questions.
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:18 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
Ok.... never notice your swing speed. You are swinging your 6 iron with the speed of my driver affraid
A regular shaft can never take your speed. You have to go for a much stiffer flex, not necessary heavier but stronger flex, lower torque shaft to put your swing in control.

Man... Thanks... I'll take that as a compliment. Have you any suitable shafts in mind to suggest? Anything with weights hovering abt 100gm max with the XS flex?
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:26 pm

weesern wrote:
high ball flight may be due to spin rate, if u have are using a trackman, i guess there is a clubfitter as well, he should be able to answer these questions.

Well, true. However, that issue stumped him as well. Spin rates were lower than the ideal when pitted against the PGA averages. They were kinda low with ranges of 2600 to the mid 4000s on the 6-irons with the 3000s being the majority of shots.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 1:42 pm

how about the launch angle?
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 2:26 pm

weesern wrote:
how about the launch angle?

That was also another issue that puzzled both the fitter and myself. So I am on a downward strike on impact. Video was taken to study the swing from back swing to follow through. Impact position showed a wrist before club face impact.

Launch angle came up with the reported range of 21 to 24*.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 2:28 pm

ben tang wrote:

Man... Thanks... I'll take that as a compliment. Have you any suitable shafts in mind to suggest? Anything with weights hovering abt 100gm max with the XS flex?
Nothing less than 100gm to recommend unless you are willing to go with graphite shaft.

Fujikura Rombax 9E05 Iron Shaft, 90gm, 2.7 torque, X flex

Matrix Ozik HD Program 95 Shaft , 95gm?, 6.5?

Don't ask me how I feel for these shaft, never hit them before but their reviews are great.... so is their price.

drunken
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 2:33 pm

if the heavier shaft is suitable for you, i don't think you should be concerned about getting tired over a round of 18 holes with the heavier shaft.

you can count the number of times you are required to swing your irons base on your average score.

when you go to the range, you probably swing the irons more than you will ever swing it out on course. assuming at least about 70-80 balls of iron shots during a range session.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 2:56 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
ben tang wrote:

Nothing less than 100gm to recommend unless you are willing to go with graphite shaft.

Fujikura Rombax 9E05 Iron Shaft, 90gm, 2.7 torque, X flex

Matrix Ozik HD Program 95 Shaft , 95gm?, 6.5?

Don't ask me how I feel for these shaft, never hit them before but their reviews are great.... so is their price.

drunken

Many thanks for the tip. Appreciate the effort to list those shaft models out. I think I may have to really do some exploration on my own over a few rounds with a heavier steel shaft to know for sure.
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 3:04 pm

eiji wrote:
if the heavier shaft is suitable for you, i don't think you should be concerned about getting tired over a round of 18 holes with the heavier shaft.

you can count the number of times you are required to swing your irons base on your average score.

when you go to the range, you probably swing the irons more than you will ever swing it out on course. assuming at least about 70-80 balls of iron shots during a range session.

I sure hope that someday clearing a full rounds returns me on a decent score. Time to give the x-stiffy steels a try I guess...

Many thanks for the encouragement bro.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 3:13 pm

wow bro, care to share yr swing sped for the driver? Shocked
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 3:31 pm

jaketang wrote:
wow bro, care to share yr swing sped for the driver? Shocked

Driver:
1. Nike SQ Dymo2 (R) - 102 mph (avg.), carry 246m.
2. TaylorMade Burner [no idea which Yr cos I dun really play TMs] (S) - 108 mph (avg.) - carry 250m
3. Tity 910 D3 [again no idea what shaft cos never really paid attention except its flex] - (XS) - 109 mph (avg.) - carry 264m
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does this make sense to you?   Does this make sense to you? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does this make sense to you?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next