Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why is Golf such an expensive sport

Go down 
+24
mUAr_cHEe
hoppie
Newtogolf
wizardofoz
currahee
vingay32
slinger
aural
scram
golfkaki
Derek
eiji
mojojojo
tronos
weesern
golf_snowman
ToluiAnda
FIdO
joleelyn
sandkie
pocketace
sunny
Duval_S
golfjoy
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 12:55 pm

golfjoy wrote:

Not even talking about going on to the green.

The accessories already cost a fair bit lorr ... cyclops

Shoes - $200+
Skort - $100+ (wah biang ... my working clothes also not so ex lorrr)
Tee - $100+ (what's the diff fr those non-golf Adidas Tees?)
Sunday bag - $152 (think not worth it but need it leh ... bo bian ... BUY!)
Towel - $15 (ah? wat's the diff? special material??? just an additional hanger mahh)

Okie ... just what I as a newbie has discovered mah
Razz

Urm.. u dun exactly have to buy 'golf-golf' clothes. its basically polo tees and shorts. so here goes. (of course with exception to the golf shoes... that one. just wait for sale.haha)

Polo Tees: come.on' there are tees which cost a fraction of the price maybe $20-$40 instead of buying $100 dry-fit or something OR there are always the free tshirts that they give away during events and stuff.

Shorts: ... as long as its long enough... haha. I buy mine from the market. urm.. $10 a piece?

Sunday bag: U dun really need one. just use any sports bag or.. for me I use my larger bags. the 'shopping bag' shaped..

Towel: Use a old bath towel or face towel. It's gonna be dirty sooner or later and no one would know the diff. and if u wanna hang it, just cut a small slit, stitch it a bit and u can put the hook thru to hook it on your bag.

Hope this helps. hahaa.... cost- saving for a student like me...=D Golf can be affordable. It's a matter of choice.

Eh eh. just dun laugh at me when you see me playing in case i look like some idiot in random clothes. hahaa!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Quote :
golfjoy wrote:

Not even talking about going on to the green.

The accessories already cost a fair bit lorr ... cyclops

Shoes - $200+
Skort - $100+ (wah biang ... my working clothes also not so ex lorrr)
Tee - $100+ (what's the diff fr those non-golf Adidas Tees?)
Sunday bag - $152 (think not worth it but need it leh ... bo bian ... BUY!)
Towel - $15 (ah? wat's the diff? special material??? just an additional hanger mahh)

Okie ... just what I as a newbie has discovered mah
Razz

No need spend so much like Jo had said and recommended.....style-lo is dependent who you play with in your flight.......if you stand beside me, confirm you look like pro..
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Duval_S wrote:

if you stand beside me, confirm you look like pro..

anyone that stand beside you, they may look pro but u look like the buaya.....
Back to top Go down
vingay32
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
vingay32

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 1:34 pm

also those betting on the golf course cost alot too.... kekeke
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 1:37 pm

vingay32 wrote:
also those betting on the golf course cost alot too.... kekeke

this kind..... URM. SELF CONTROL!. hahaa.... no la just kidding.

Like i said a matter of choice.. golf can be realllllly cheap (or relatively cheap) OR.... can seriously burn a hole in your pocket. ..

No wonder I have such a love-hate relationship with the game. ... =p
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 1:10 am

joleelyn wrote:

Urm.. u dun exactly have to buy 'golf-golf' clothes. its basically polo tees and shorts. so here goes. (of course with exception to the golf shoes... that one. just wait for sale.haha)

Polo Tees: come.on' there are tees which cost a fraction of the price maybe $20-$40 instead of buying $100 dry-fit or something OR there are always the free tshirts that they give away during events and stuff.

Shorts: ... as long as its long enough... haha. I buy mine from the market. urm.. $10 a piece?

Sunday bag: U dun really need one. just use any sports bag or.. for me I use my larger bags. the 'shopping bag' shaped..

Towel: Use a old bath towel or face towel. It's gonna be dirty sooner or later and no one would know the diff. and if u wanna hang it, just cut a small slit, stitch it a bit and u can put the hook thru to hook it on your bag.

Hope this helps. hahaa.... cost- saving for a student like me...=D Golf can be affordable. It's a matter of choice.

Eh eh. just dun laugh at me when you see me playing in case i look like some idiot in random clothes. hahaa!! Very Happy

Yup, yup .... just wear polo Tee.
Never wear low-cut Tees!!! lol ... that's what I learned!! ROFL

My shorts are not long enough leh ..... I think!!
Arghhh.... how long is long anyway?!!? scratch

Sports bag!?! Big or long enough for your clubs meh???
I just asked my bro to help me get a Sunday bag from the Pan-West sale.
WAh bianggg.... so huge!!! zhor deng lehhhh .... how?
Who wants?! Sell to her! It's black and pink!! pig

Till now I still don't understand why does the towel need a hook worr?
Why huh????
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 1:12 am

aural wrote:
My friend warned me that golf if you become addicted is going to burn a hole in your pocket. Esp new stuff comes out like equipment you will tend to go look and before you know it, you bought sonething. Mayb an accessory or such. Even things like brollies. 80+ for a brolly o.o

WAH!? How huge is the brolly? The handle made of titanium?
kekee .... spend more on Sun-block bah!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 1:16 am

golfjoy wrote:
aural wrote:
My friend warned me that golf if you become addicted is going to burn a hole in your pocket. Esp new stuff comes out like equipment you will tend to go look and before you know it, you bought sonething. Mayb an accessory or such. Even things like brollies. 80+ for a brolly o.o

WAH!? How huge is the brolly? The handle made of titanium?
kekee .... spend more on Sun-block bah!!! Very Happy

that more for rain and wind bah. Anyway hand itchy want to buy stuff again. T_T just bought one driver but now like prefer another.....T_T
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 1:22 am

Duval_S wrote:

No need spend so much like Jo had said and recommended.....style-lo is dependent who you play with in your flight.......if you stand beside me, confirm you look like pro..

I will not get to stand beside u lah Sir ...
Me still a longggggg way to go manz!!! pig
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 1:26 am

aural wrote:
that more for rain and wind bah. Anyway hand itchy want to buy stuff again. T_T just bought one driver but now like prefer another.....T_T

Oh oh .... I have no eyes to see liao ...
Good luck!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 1:36 am

golfjoy wrote:
aural wrote:

Oh oh .... I have no eyes to see liao ...
Good luck!!! Laughing

lol itchy dun mean need to scratch. This is painful. T_T lucky no more budget already. Need to buy one fw and one rescue.
Back to top Go down
currahee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 8:20 am

how does a beginner go about getting the 1st golf set w/o burning a hole in pocket? i've seen US sites recommending to go for clones sets...
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 8:30 am

currahee wrote:
how does a beginner go about getting the 1st golf set w/o burning a hole in pocket? i've seen US sites recommending to go for clones sets...

I guess boils down to your budget. There's currently a discussion somewhat similar to this topic. You can take the views from there. But you will know yourself best.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/golf-talk-f3/beginner-s-dilemma-buy-golf-set-or-separate-clubs-t6077.htm
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 11:53 am

aural wrote:

lol itchy dun mean need to scratch. This is painful. T_T lucky no more budget already. Need to buy one fw and one rescue.

I tot itchy sure scratch one mah!?
Rescue? what's a rescue?! Sheesh! How come I don't see it in my set!? affraid
heeee .... neh mind .... no need for it YET, I suppose?
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 12:44 pm

golfjoy wrote:
aural wrote:

I tot itchy sure scratch one mah!?
Rescue? what's a rescue?! Sheesh! How come I don't see it in my set!? affraid
heeee .... neh mind .... no need for it YET, I suppose?

lol hybrid clubs. Usually not included in standard sets.
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 3:41 pm

golfjoy wrote:

Sports bag!?! Big or long enough for your clubs meh???
I just asked my bro to help me get a Sunday bag from the Pan-West sale.
WAh bianggg.... so huge!!! zhor deng lehhhh .... how?
Who wants?! Sell to her! It's black and pink!! pig

Till now I still don't understand why does the towel need a hook worr?
Why huh???? [/color]

Sorry. I read it as the boston bag.. haha. sunday bag. i just hold clubs in my hand. my own sunday bag was given to me I think... but i dun use it anymore. Just carry full bag if i have to..

erm. towel... as in to clean the clubs. so can just hook onto your golf bag itself..
Back to top Go down
wizardofoz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
wizardofoz

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Golf is expensive when you start buying membership clubs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 3:02 pm

I guess its only as expensive as one wants it.

Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:12 pm

I have quite a few hobbies but most have stop for Golf now, used to play RC Cars, RC Planes, Tennis, Modify Cars (Still do but not so much as last time), Console Games.

I would rate the following from most expensive to least Expensive
- Modify Cars
- RC Cars
- Golf
- RC Planes
- Console Games
- Tennis

So afterall, it's not the most expensive but i would say, it's one of the hobby that help you exercise and keep fit just like Tennis, i still like Tennis but Golf took away most of my time that i have to stick to it. Even console games is slowing down for me, too tired to play till late, age catching up also.

Golf also promote friendship, getting a few kakis for a game of golf cost maybe $70 in JB but the timespend and the joy is PRICELESS.

Most important is to keep yourself healthy so we can golf till we old Smile

I agree to some bro here that we are blessed that JB course are relatively cheap and no need to be member or so, a game at Pebble Beach cost USD500. Even Serapong is SGD300 Smile

Stop being an equipments whores and you should be saving alot, focus on improving instead of buying new equipments should help save cost.

Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:45 pm

hoppie, then do u focus on being a better driver rather than changing to a bigger exhaust pipe? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 6:02 pm

scram wrote:
I have to add that ppl staying in Singapore are really blessed to have Malaysia courses to play on. Can you imagine trying to pick up golf in Korea or Japan ?! I hear the green fees are expensive and if im not mistaken most of the courses are member courses. So on a side note I hope that any of my fellow Singaporeans tht go in and "ya ya papaya" (which from what i've noticed is aplenty) maybe showing some humility and appreciation could go a long way ?

Yes golf is expensive in Korea and Japan, No buggy some more, I play Poresia every Thursday, can u imagine young Korean playing at Poresia? Those Barbaric young Korean/w Pro are destroying our green fairway and even near the putting green they just drove buggy all over during this wet season...they stayed Leisure Farm rental for 2 months, Poresia buggy supposed to be on track, not allowed on fairway! These ppl just don't care!

Being member there I pay RM38.10 including taxes very affordable, not in SG!! Membership paid in 1999 S$5K
toady it's cheaper $1.8k, 6 months free subscription. Person who recommend also get 6 months free subscription!

Tell u what Fishing is even more expensive per trip over $300.00+ x Numbers of trips = ($xxxx) to Tanjong Pinang, Malaysia, SG also same price! equipment reel and rod per set $1K or more depending on brand, fisherman normal have more than few reels and rods. Shimano Stella reel Model 10000 and 20000 can cost $1.5K

Next biking is also expensive, good Carbon bike today cost u more than $10K, jersey per set $160 to $220.00,
cycling shoes $200-$480, Oakley Radar $350.00, tyres per set $160.00 Continental Racing S4000S. One time investment!
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 6:22 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
hoppie, then do u focus on being a better driver rather than changing to a bigger exhaust pipe? Very Happy

Ya i tried to leh but gave up hahahaha no money to change liao so lan lan suck thumb let people tia me lor

But my previous car exhaust can fit a big orange lor Razz
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 6:31 pm

hoppie wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:

Ya i tried to leh but gave up hahahaha no money to change liao so lan lan suck thumb let people tia me lor

But my previous car exhaust can fit a big orange lor Razz

Can fit a big orange? Fwooar!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 6:41 pm

From GR Marketplace:

Drivers: $70-190
Woods, hybrids, wedges: $50-90
Irons: $350-550
Putter: $90 (can get cleveland classic brand new)
Bag: $100
balls: $15 (nemo)

$1k can get a full set/bag. resale value 50-70%

lessons are the biggest expense items in the beginning. $900-$1k.

Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 8:33 pm

pushslice wrote:

lessons are the biggest expense items in the beginning. $900-$1k.

hmmmmm, dun think so......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why is Golf such an expensive sport   Why is Golf such an expensive sport - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why is Golf such an expensive sport
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next