Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !

Go down 
+34
eden
botak
asahi
Aloyboy
Gray
alvin7379
jurongtiger
ghoonk
dodo
ralphlim
Lizardman
p3nboy
slinger
nientsu
weesern
galileo
S70B
puteh83
Khorkar
Duval_S
tronos
chemicalpro
WaLau
mUAr_cHEe
hillgreen
BigBogey
ChrisD
nrafee
Tituman
golf_snowman
benhogan
eiji
crystal_tiong
daveaha
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Ghoonk: Sud have known you earlier. Was actually looking for positions there in 2006. Had a gf who was working in Emirates at that time. Wanted to join her to work in Dubai. Unfortunately, none came!!!
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:32 pm

got an example:

uncle A sold his 15,000sq house for $X millionssss, left spore with wife for Oz, kids all grow up n working, tell us that he is set for life, bought house n cars for peanuts..... after abt 5 years, came back to stay again...... tough when u have no frens to come over for dinner or golf kakis to play golf with, 50+ old man trying to make frens again aint easy

then another example:

uncle B, director, 5 figure salary, but stay in HDB, all paid up, prefer to spend on family holidays than chase the 5Cs, at least 2 holiday per annum, not talking abt bbk or penang, invest in wines n watches, live it up
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 pm

No no, what would happen is, you guys migrate here, Singapore gets brain drain, then they hire more 'foreign talent' to do your job for half the day and double the hours, while calling you 'quitters'. Then they say they embrace people who come back and bring back 'global experience and insights', but still pay you a local package.

A friend of mine used to work for an MNC here. Let's just say he got paid SGD8k a month. He got his Australian citizenship, gave up SG citizenship, and was posted back to SG and guess what. Same job, double the pay. How does one explain THAT?!?!?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 pm

From COE to imigration. Cannot afford dun buy. Simple as that. Lets just say Middle east is not as good as before. Thats why I am back. And I am still deciding whether to get a car. Seems to me, B.M.W may be the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:48 pm

duffader wrote:
From COE to imigration. Cannot afford dun buy. Simple as that. Lets just say Middle east is not as good as before. Thats why I am back. And I am still deciding whether to get a car. Seems to me, B.M.W may be the way to go.
Euro down.. Coe up.... good to buy conti..
Let me know if you are interested in a Bentley for the weekends
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Sheik, buy a lambo 。。。
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
Sheik, buy a lambo 。。。

nowadays, sheik dun drive anymore, they prefer to be driven...... tats why always no taxi
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:17 pm

slinger wrote:
wiithout trying to be condescending, think all of us have our reasons to be where we are at, be it for work, for family, for love etc

pretty sure we have weighed our options n deliberate with our loved ones, sometimes cost of living or quality of life may not be the determining factor to relocate/emigrate.....

opportunity aside, it will be a brave decision to move to an environment that is outside the usual comfort zone that one is accustom to....

of cos who wouldnt want to swap HDB for a bungalow or a Honda for a BWM, sometimes things dun usually fall in place for us to take that leap....

i spend 4 winters in Vancouver, i LOVE the place, but i have yet to return for over a decade, things just get in the way for what u wanted to do, be it work, marriage, parenthood etc

but as Rod Stewart say "some guys have all the luck".....

me for one, dun have that YET

totally agree on that one.
i have lived and worked in a few countries (out of Singapore for 7 years) and there are always reasons when one decides to stay out or come back.
sure life was good outside as an expat (and i had the full package) but there are things that you lose when you are away.

i missed out on many life events of my close friends and family; some happy and some tragic.

i think that there are always 2 sides to a coin......and like earlier mentioned...the pasture may not be greener but just different.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
Sheik, buy a lambo 。。。

Mr Lam, not that i do now want the Lambo, but stupid condo that wife bought only have 1 parking lot and her Q7 is in there. So......
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Middle East definitely not as good as before. I had a neighbour who was earning some obscene sums of money here in the oil and gas industry, retired in his 40s after spending 20 years in Dubai.

At the end of the day, matter of priorities -- in my case, i like cars, golf and a nice place to live in, and Dubai fits the bill better than back in SG, at least for the last 4 years Smile
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
duffader wrote:
Euro down.. Coe up.... good to buy conti..
Let me know if you are interested in a Bentley for the weekends

You are selling yours is it SS?? Taking profit because COE is higher... lol!

titu
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:31 pm

eden wrote:
slinger wrote:
wiithout trying to be condescending, think all of us have our reasons to be where we are at, be it for work, for family, for love etc

pretty sure we have weighed our options n deliberate with our loved ones, sometimes cost of living or quality of life may not be the determining factor to relocate/emigrate.....

opportunity aside, it will be a brave decision to move to an environment that is outside the usual comfort zone that one is accustom to....

of cos who wouldnt want to swap HDB for a bungalow or a Honda for a BWM, sometimes things dun usually fall in place for us to take that leap....

i spend 4 winters in Vancouver, i LOVE the place, but i have yet to return for over a decade, things just get in the way for what u wanted to do, be it work, marriage, parenthood etc

but as Rod Stewart say "some guys have all the luck".....

me for one, dun have that YET

totally agree on that one.
i have lived and worked in a few countries (out of Singapore for 7 years) and there are always reasons when one decides to stay out or come back.
sure life was good outside as an expat (and i had the full package) but there are things that you lose when you are away.

i missed out on many life events of my close friends and family; some happy and some tragic.

i think that there are always 2 sides to a coin......and like earlier mentioned...the pasture may not be greener but just different.

I get worried every time i receive a call from my family late at night. not fun, but I have a lot of support from my family to focus on building a strong foundation for a future for wife and kids, and to have a good life. They don't want to see me stay back in SG for the sake of hanging around, and when they move on, I have little to show.

Anyway, back to COE Smile
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 10:10 am

I have to agree with all the negative feedbacks about sillypore from COE, Road Tax, ERP, Housing to FT. We pay road tax so that infrastructure can be build. Then came COE to curb the constant growth in cars on the road. If COE really works as planned, why the need for ERP? And more ERP!! Then recently discovered that the COE policy isn't too sound and needs adjustment that causes the piece of shit paper to shoot up sky up.

All in all, this is a legacy left behind by our beloverd MM (millions minister), especially Marbolo Tan. Some of the policies are not well thought of and should be seen as band-aid solutions. COE is one great example and our garment benefits the most whilst the heartlanders sufferring the most. HDB policy is another piece of joke as it was later realized that speculations can't be well controlled and revisions need to be made.

Everything is getting super expensive. Inflation is constanlty kicking in and our salary is not increasing. We are all living in debts and we are not even talking about luxurious lifestyle here. Just want to have a decent place to live in and a decent car to drive is a constant struggle.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 10:51 am

being the devils adovacte, my point would be:

the garment allowed all sporean basic housing (HDB), if u choose to upgrade n be in debt, then its your pasah mah.... dun blame the garment

as for COE, pretty much depend on market forces, garment dun control demand, but its the public that do.....

personally, i think M Tan n R Lim din do a good job on the transportation.... heard now that LTA is thinking abt the PAY AS U DRIVE scheme

nutty: u can go DUBAI..... no offense ghoonk Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 11:12 am

slinger wrote:

as for COE, pretty much depend on market forces, garment dun control demand, but its the public that do.....

Slinger,

Technically, they restrict demand. Hence, by overhauling the formula, they cause the market to react with lesser COE available. Hence price goes up.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 11:21 am

Or do you to have a car and get
yourself stuck In a jam for hours.
Your choice afterall.
Find spore to x can leave, car too x can always take public transport, too lazy to travel in public transport, can always buy car.
The term is always correct.
If you want to enjoy, you will have to accept.(hokkien)
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 11:23 am

Khorkar wrote:
slinger wrote:

Slinger,

Technically, they restrict demand. Hence, by overhauling the formula, they cause the market to react with lesser COE available. Hence price goes up.

Correct. The trigger was the announcement by the govt when they said "Quota for COE will be slashed". So the public reaction is the result of gahmen control measure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 12:37 pm

slinger wrote:

the garment allowed all sporean basic housing (HDB), if u choose to upgrade n be in debt, then its your pasah mah.... dun blame the garment

personally, i think M Tan n R Lim din do a good job on the transportation.... heard now that LTA is thinking abt the PAY AS U DRIVE scheme

I don't disagree that we are provided for basic housing and if one chooses to stay in condo or landed property, then one should pay the price. Likewise for wanting to own a car.

However, there are fundamental issues with the policies, i.e. such policies are not well thought out that led to further changes. If COE and ERP work as per planned, why is there a need to come out with a new scheme as Pay as U Drive? Are we not paying and paying for driving? Will this new scheme even work? Or will there be a few more new schemes in the future?

This is getting to be like software patches. I like to use the saying "apply a new patch to patch the previos patches".

Slinger - moving to Dubai is not an option for me, just like why you didn't want to stay put in Canada.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 12:57 pm

halo, that why i say i am devils adovcate....not my opinion

i did say "i think M Tan n R Lim din do a good job on the transportation"

how abt this, do 10 year plan, we retire to Canada, give u 3-3 annual contract, review every year....swee boh
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 1:32 pm

nutty88 wrote:
I have to agree with all the negative feedbacks about sillypore from COE, Road Tax, ERP, Housing to FT. We pay road tax so that infrastructure can be build. Then came COE to curb the constant growth in cars on the road. If COE really works as planned, why the need for ERP? And more ERP!! Then recently discovered that the COE policy isn't too sound and needs adjustment that causes the piece of shit paper to shoot up sky up.

All in all, this is a legacy left behind by our beloverd MM (millions minister), especially Marbolo Tan. Some of the policies are not well thought of and should be seen as band-aid solutions. COE is one great example and our garment benefits the most whilst the heartlanders sufferring the most. HDB policy is another piece of joke as it was later realized that speculations can't be well controlled and revisions need to be made.

Everything is getting super expensive. Inflation is constanlty kicking in and our salary is not increasing. We are all living in debts and we are not even talking about luxurious lifestyle here. Just want to have a decent place to live in and a decent car to drive is a constant struggle.

What really annoys me: they see a traffic jam, stick in ERP and say that it is to help ease congestion (yeah, right). Then since people can no longer afford to buy cars, they need to increase public transport aka buses and taxis, and basically OUR cars get replaced on their roads with THEIR cars, that's why the traffic jams don't go away even after ERP is put up
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 1:33 pm

slinger wrote:

no offence taken Smile I arrived with apprehension, and now i'm staying with conviction Smile
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Bro. Don say so much..... Got lobang or not???? I am keen
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 3:25 pm

As I said before, no lobangs right now. Besides, I'm sick and tired of sticking my neck out for people who say want want want (not you) and then after all the talk, song and dance, , decide not to come over.

If there's anything i learned enough of here, when people take the effort to find means and ways to get what they want, they tend to follow-through to the very end, and in the process either reinforce their determination to create the change, or to give it up completely.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 3:29 pm

Understand ur frustrations.... Will @@ it out myself.....

Tks anyway.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 3:56 pm

Check headhunters. Also, I know quite a few people who managed to get jobs here through Monster and JobServe.com. Headhunters like RP International have also got quite a people over to Dubai.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !   COE is going up uppp !  and uppppp it goess ! - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COE is going up uppp ! and uppppp it goess !
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The 19th Hole :: Lounge-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.