Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Driver shot - no roll

Go down 
+16
jhan18
nientsu
shorthitter
ghoonk
chemicalpro
wilkang
weesern
clarencekim
Cyp_PGA
ralphlim
morganoh
golf_snowman
alvin7379
icejazz
mUAr_cHEe
Ant
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:05 pm

1 x TM 10.7* Tour Burner (tour issued), FA 2.5*, Diamana Ali'Islei shaft S flex
1 x TM 9* Tour Burner LCG (tour issued), FA 1.5*, TM tour-issued Diamana whiteboard 63x X-flex shaft
1 x Titleist 905R (retail head) 8.5* loft, Diamana Whiteboard 73x, S flex shaft
1 x King Cobra (retail head) L4V-F/9* loft, Diamana Whiteboard 63x, S flex shaft
1 x Titleist 975D 7.5* loft, True Temper DG S300 shaft, 43"

That's about it. I think...

Selling my Ping G10 with Fujikura Rombax 6Z08 shaft in S flex. Real bomber but I'm into face open drivers these days, so it's now at BFG up for sale Smile
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:06 pm

shorthitter wrote:
I am talking mainly about beginner swing, where they tend to lunge a bit at the ball...

Pro's are not humbled, they take the sensible option Very Happy Ego does not count, the last PGA event at Laguna 2 Pro's teed off 8th hole with a driver... 190M par 3....

Play smart my friend... you only write a number in a small box at the end of the hole!

So very true. Just use the equipment that gets the job done Smile
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:07 pm

ghoonk wrote:
shorthitter wrote:
I am talking mainly about beginner swing, where they tend to lunge a bit at the ball...

Pro's are not humbled, they take the sensible option Very Happy Ego does not count, the last PGA event at Laguna 2 Pro's teed off 8th hole with a driver... 190M par 3....

Play smart my friend... you only write a number in a small box at the end of the hole!

So very true. Just use the equipment that gets the job done Smile

In my case a can of Tiger gets the job done very nicely.... Very Happy lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:06 pm

Should load you up with a carton of Tiger and see how your game progresses through the round Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:50 pm

shorthitter wrote:

Think I am playing in your flight on Wednesday... I'll standby a carton for you mate! What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:51 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
shorthitter wrote:

Think I am playing in your flight on Wednesday... I'll standby a carton for you mate! What a Face

pls make sure allen doesnt drink and drive! lol!
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:55 pm

jhan18 wrote:

What makes you so sure that me driving would be any safer? (regardless I drink anot!) What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:56 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
jhan18 wrote:

What makes you so sure that me driving would be any safer? (regardless I drink anot!) What a Face

haha i better stay far away from you fellas. and pls, laguna has their fair share of ponds!
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:17 pm

ghoonk wrote:
True, but I was also under the impression that if you're playing into headwind, lower loft does make a difference, as it reduces the amount of lift generated by the headwind.

In my case, when playing at The Els Club, there are a couple of holes where headwind comes into a play, and I have seen playing pros humbled when playing into this headwind using 10.5* drivers. If I know that I'm going to playing in windy conditions, I usually stick to 9* or lower (I have a Titleist 905R (low spin head) in 8.5* with a Diamana WB 73X (a low launching, low-spin shaft for this) driver to keep wind out of play as much as I can. However, when playing in the mornings where the fairways are still drenched in dew, I won't get much roll out of these low-lofted drivers

That said, when playing with tailwind, a higher lofted club would definitely help gain 20 yds of distance easily. If I play with the 8.5* 905R or my 9* Tour Burner LCG driver, then I'll put my TM R7 HFS tour spoon (13*) in the bag to tee off in morning rounds.

For me, it's knowing what to put in the bag depending on course layout and course conditions, which depends on time of play and wind conditions. Playing at 9 am means I have fewer holes with dew than playing at 7 am, and I pick my wedges accordingly as well since a wet green stops the ball differently from a dry green (afternoon rounds)

Which I'm gonna partially disagree. You are right about course conditions. Many in Sg do not get much roll because the courses are generally playing soft. Many also do not own a variety of equipment to swap around like you and me so that option of switching around is not there for them.

When you are faced w a headwind in soft conditions, do you think keeping the ball low will maximise your distance? No. The ball will carry less and then stop when it hits the ground.

Which is why I will agree with Allen. Many think they are hitting the ball too high with their drivers so they go for lower lofted ones. A stiffer shaft with a higher lofted head might solve the spin issue while maximising carry.

For those who think going lower loft is a better choice, you might just be introducing more sidespin into the equation in hopes of reducing backspin.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:43 pm

Not about how it works for others, but I have used my higher lofted drivers in windy conditions. Not pretty. In fact, I did bring two drivers on course once back in summer and tested this theory out. Strong headwind, firm fairway, and my carry on the lower lofted driver was better, and I got more roll as well.

But you're right, not everyone gets to muck about with multiple drivers, and I guess ground conditions in Singapore may make a difference
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:53 pm

The ground conditions are soft here compared to what I am used to so for me now the focus is on higher launch and greater carry. More importantly i want it in the fairway.
I see this obsessions with golfers about getting more distance. I have a 12 year old girl at the academy that hits her driver 170m. She shoots 80 - 83 no problems from white tees. Trust me it ain't her length that gets her these scores but her accuracy and short game.
I once played 9 holes with her and she hit 8 GIR and shot 37....2 putted every green.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:54 pm

How abt using a 10.5 and tee it lower? Does it solve the problem?
Back to top Go down
scram
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:45 am

3 words.. Titlesist DT Roll elephant
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Short Hiiter, Do you know Rob Richardson at SICC?

He used to manage Tanglin GC with George Muru.

He wants to play with me somewhere fairly cheap but we need three persons to form a flight.

I will take photos of him on the golf course for the mag also.

Do you get discounts at Laguna CC course for weekdays?

Text me or email me.

Cheers,

CK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driver shot - no roll
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2