Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Driver shot - no roll

Go down 
+16
jhan18
nientsu
shorthitter
ghoonk
chemicalpro
wilkang
weesern
clarencekim
Cyp_PGA
ralphlim
morganoh
golf_snowman
alvin7379
icejazz
mUAr_cHEe
Ant
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

Driver shot - no roll Empty
PostSubject: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:08 pm

My driver shot usually drop like a stone at the end of flight and ball is found beside the pitch mark on the ground indicating that there ball does not roll at all. Though happy with tee shot that is average 180-200m off the tee & ok dispersion, can anything be done to get the ball to roll to gain more distance (who doesn't want that?).... Anyone can give advise/help? Thanks!

Current driver is 10.5 Deg with OEM stock shaft R flex 44.5"
Ball used - distance type (so fairly hard?)
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:21 pm

for me, a change of shaft helps.
Back to top Go down
icejazz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
icejazz

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Tell me abt it.. my ball behind the divot after a drive.

Was told that too much spin..which in turn cause my drive to balloon up.change a suitable shaft might helps Smile

most people will tell u...go get a lower degree driver though Razz
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:54 pm

Teeing up too high sometimes causes my drives to go high and land short too... you can try teeing up lower.

When a ball is tee up lower... it somehow makes me close my clubface more during impact... thus resulting in lower flight and longer roll. Worth a try but no guarantee wor... geek
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:36 am

alvin7379 wrote:
Teeing up too high sometimes causes my drives to go high and land short too... you can try teeing up lower.

When a ball is tee up lower... it somehow makes me close my clubface more during impact... thus resulting in lower flight and longer roll. Worth a try but no guarantee wor... geek

haha !! bro

now i know how u drive 260 to 280 liao...haha !!

snowman
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:46 am

golf_snowman wrote:

haha !! bro

now i know how u drive 260 to 280 liao...haha !!

snowman

Did I miss out the fact that a STRONG back wind helps... What a Face
Back to top Go down
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 1:12 am

I had the same problem too.

but my ball flight got better after I change to another driver with a Shaft that is MID kick.

A shaft with a MID kick point will prevent the ball from launching higher.
Nowadays most of the shafts promotes high launch, so u can either buy another driver or change a shaft (if u like your current driver head so much)
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:38 am

@icejazz, I could not have put it anymore shorter or sweeter as you have mentioned. Too much spin does your ball flight to ballon. OEM shafts are built for the masses. It is of course not possible to cater to the millions of golfers in the world with just 3 kind of flexes; Regular, Stiff and Extra-Stiff. But there are people out there who just get the perfect shaft through OEM. I, myself had a perfect OEM shaft before. The Grafalloy ProLaunch Red that came with my G10 was a perfect combination for me. What happened? Why am I not carrying it today? Because I met DGman.

I actually am not sure if a stronger lofted driver will help with promoting ball roll. Idol, maybe if you can provide some insight of this, seeing that you have switched lofts. But do not forget that a stronger loft will means that it will be more challenging to even launch the golf ball.

We are all not professional golfers. This is just a hobby and not our career. We will not be able to just achieve a new target with just simply by a change of equipment or just one lesson with a pro. Take your time to explore, slowly learn and maybe to improve in what you are looking for. In this case, a lower ball flight with more roll? The journey or path to your final aim will be even more fun and enjoyable. These are the little things that make this hobby so engaging.

There are already many equipment knowledge, swing knowledge and threads out here in this forum. Some by me and many more by others. Although it seems long and dry, take your time and be patient in reading them. You may learn a couple of new things from them and definitely put you in a different perspective of things.

But putting it there again on equipment knowledge, at the end of the day, it is about balance. Going back to the main subject again, if you want to achieve lower ball flight, simply you go for shafts that promotes lower ball flight and drivers that has stronger lofts, but don't forget that all this new formula will just make your new toy even harder to launch and if the new specifications are too strong for you most of the time you will end up with a new putter rather than a driver. It has happened to me before. I know. You definitely do not want this to happen to you, it just makes you feel like giving up the game at times.

But I do offer you the perfect solution to your question. See a pro. LOL. I am serious. A change of swing, assuming that it is your swing that causes the high ball flight, definitely helps more greatly compared to the change of equipment. Besides it will make the sport more engaging and make you put more time and effort into it.
Back to top Go down
icejazz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
icejazz

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:50 am

Remember...most important is to drive onto e fairway.. No point having a booming drive which always find e rough or worst still e O.B..
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:54 am

thought we are talking about ball flight here? Not dispersion? Are you sure you want to open up another can of worms?
Back to top Go down
icejazz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
icejazz

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:14 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
thought we are talking about ball flight here? Not dispersion? Are you sure you want to open up another can of worms?
haha.wanna tell him dun wry abt the distance Wink better dun open another can of worms
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ralphlim

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:29 am

Use DT Roll.... confirm run a lot, I played with a DT Roll yesterday, had quite a lot of roll on good drives...

attacking the pin, had to land short, did not help that Palm Resort was freaking hot and ground was very hard, ball land, no bite, roll roll roll....
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:13 am

Are u more a fading ball ( go right for right hand persorn) or a drawing ball ( go left for right hand ) because the fade ball got less roll n can even stop imidiatly if u want distance u could ask ur coach to try to teach u hw to draw the ball
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:48 am

My problem just opposite--carry only about 170-180m but rolls for another 30-50m!

Not good unless fairway is straight and fairly smooth and no obstacles in the way.

Cowgrass slows ball distance run also.

Using 907D2 with 9.5* loft and regular flex (US spec) Aldila shaft.

Sad
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:01 am

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Ins't hitting long usually come with larger dispersion? ...... I think J B Holmes hit far but fairway % hit are lower than other pro..
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:02 am

my loft is 9.5 but the ball dun roll much as well
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:15 am

Ant wrote:
Ins't hitting long usually come with larger dispersion? ...... I think J B Holmes hit far but fairway % hit are lower than other pro..

To us mere mortals, yes. hitting longer usually comes with larger dispersion.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Ant wrote:

No lah... I still hit the fairways regularly... but usually the adjacent fairway... lol!
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 2:02 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
Ant wrote:

No lah... I still hit the fairways regularly... but usually the adjacent fairway... lol!

260m on borrowed fairways are not bad too..as long as don't disappear into the bushes or water..lol
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:51 pm

JB Holmes hits his drives with a power fade. Imagine his distance if he draws affraid
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Those of you who are not getting much roll on landing should see a fitter and get spin rate measured on the launch monitor. I had that problem in the past, partly caused by my fade, but mostly due to backspin on the ball launching off the driver.

A session on the launch monitor showed that a switch from my Grafalloy Epic 75X to a Diamana wb 63X shaft reduced spin rates from 4000+ rpm to around 2600 rpm, and I'm getting quite a bit more roll as a result.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Lower loft is not always the answer, a lot of Pro's used to use 6 degree drivers, not that long ago either, but now with computer technology, as ghook mentions you can see spin rate and launch angle, lower loft is not the answer.

Vijay Singh actually went to 10.5 degree.

One of the Pro's I work with has an 11.5 degree driver and he hit the 16th hole at Laguna in 2... Par 5 560 metres from back tees... huge drive... you have to look at all the stats and get the numbers that work for you, everyone is different!

As for teeing it lower, be careful, some people do that when starting out to stop skying the shot, but actually a lower ball can make you come in a bit steeper path which will cause the ball to go high and right....
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:31 pm

True, but I was also under the impression that if you're playing into headwind, lower loft does make a difference, as it reduces the amount of lift generated by the headwind.

In my case, when playing at The Els Club, there are a couple of holes where headwind comes into a play, and I have seen playing pros humbled when playing into this headwind using 10.5* drivers. If I know that I'm going to playing in windy conditions, I usually stick to 9* or lower (I have a Titleist 905R (low spin head) in 8.5* with a Diamana WB 73X (a low launching, low-spin shaft for this) driver to keep wind out of play as much as I can. However, when playing in the mornings where the fairways are still drenched in dew, I won't get much roll out of these low-lofted drivers

That said, when playing with tailwind, a higher lofted club would definitely help gain 20 yds of distance easily. If I play with the 8.5* 905R or my 9* Tour Burner LCG driver, then I'll put my TM R7 HFS tour spoon (13*) in the bag to tee off in morning rounds.

For me, it's knowing what to put in the bag depending on course layout and course conditions, which depends on time of play and wind conditions. Playing at 9 am means I have fewer holes with dew than playing at 7 am, and I pick my wedges accordingly as well since a wet green stops the ball differently from a dry green (afternoon rounds)
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:52 pm

ghoonk......how many drivers do you actually have??????
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:04 pm

I am talking mainly about beginner swing, where they tend to lunge a bit at the ball...

Pro's are not humbled, they take the sensible option Very Happy Ego does not count, the last PGA event at Laguna 2 Pro's teed off 8th hole with a driver... 190M par 3....

Play smart my friend... you only write a number in a small box at the end of the hole!
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driver shot - no roll   Driver shot - no roll I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driver shot - no roll
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next