Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Apple watch

Go down 
+6
jB15
jascon77
System36
TigaWood
flashpacker
newbiegolfie
10 posters
AuthorMessage
newbiegolfie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 3:50 pm

Any guys using iwatch during their games for GPS function? 

hows the feel and accuracy so far? 

Do advise the app u are using.. debating to get a iwatch !!!  Smile
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 4:06 pm

newbiegolfie wrote:

Yeah go get one and use GolfPad
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 9:12 pm

flashpacker wrote:
newbiegolfie wrote:

Yeah go get one and use GolfPad
Any other good apps that works wit apple watch?
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
newbiegolfie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 10:54 am

sounds like i am needed to buy this iwatch Very very soon!
lol
Back to top Go down
System36
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 11:07 am

Watch itself has no GPS - it works by displaying whatever is on your iPhone via bluetooth. You can use Golfshot on iPhone to test out accuracy first...decent so far.

Point to note  - make sure iPhone is very close by. Kenna once (buggy on track day) - I left my iPhone on buggy. . . buggy-mate drove off ... yardage readings is from  buggy to green... not where I was standing :-(
Back to top Go down
newbiegolfie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 9:38 am

thanks for the info.. my purpose is not to carry the phone when i am swinging.. if thats the case ..then it defeat the purpose of having the iwatch then
Back to top Go down
jascon77
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
jascon77

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 5:32 pm

I have been experimenting on using it for about two months now. I love the features of being able to get a quick glance on my messages without taking my phone out. I bought the watch for other reasons so using it as a golf watch is just really a plus. I use Golfshot on my phone and the only advantage is not picking up my phone to check my distance. There are flaws on using the Iwatch as a golf watch but there are mitigations you can do.

If you don't like to do these mitigations then a dedicated golf watch (bushnell, garmin, et)  beats the Iwatch . The following illustrates my point :

- You will need to have your phone near you. If you leave your phone in the buggy and it moves off you are screwed. I don't like having a phone in my pocket so I holster it to my belt to mitigate this.

- Iwatch needs to be in contact with your skin always. I always use  a hand sock or long sleeves compression shirt. If the watch  goes over the sleeves it automatically locks and you have to input the unlock code again. Somehow you cant disable this. So I need to make sure I pull the sleeves up before the watch.

- Watch snapshot activates when both buttons on the watch are pressed. With a bowed left hand at address and gloves,  both buttons on the iwatch get pressed and I get screen snapshots of the watch on my phone. To mitigate this I loosen the strap and make sure I wear it  a bit higher on my wrist.

-Don't forget to put it on Do Not Disturb Mode when playing . Screwed a few shots when my swing is already in process and a message comes in and it vibrates on my wrist. And also, don't forget to put your Iphone on Do Not Disturb also. It's holstered to my belt, so I still got screwed when a call came in while in the middle of my swing.

-Screen is too reflective on sunny days . Kinda hard to see the data on screen with the sun reflecting on it. Have to shade it with my right hand (kinda hard also when you are holding a club). Will look for an anti reflective protector to fix this.

-Make sure you have Activate on Wrist Raise on and it Resumes to  Last Used App .
I normally deactivate this to save on battery. Its not efficient to keep on pushing on the dial whenever you need to get a distance reading. So I make sure this feature is on when I play.

-Useless on entering score for now.  This is my biggest complaint. I normally track other details such as putts, penalties, hazards and drive direction together with the score in Golf Shot. However in Iwatch you can only input score. So after every hole I still pick up the phone and enter my score and details. I don't know if they will resolve this in a later update.

I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
jB15
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
jB15

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 1:20 pm

jascon77 wrote:
I have been experimenting on using it for about two months now. I love the features of being able to get a quick glance on my messages without taking my phone out. I bought the watch for other reasons so using it as a golf watch is just really a plus. I use Golfshot on my phone and the only advantage is not picking up my phone to check my distance. There are flaws on using the Iwatch as a golf watch but there are mitigations you can do.

If you don't like to do these mitigations then a dedicated golf watch (bushnell, garmin, et)  beats the Iwatch . The following illustrates my point :

- You will need to have your phone near you. If you leave your phone in the buggy and it moves off you are screwed. I don't like having a phone in my pocket so I holster it to my belt to mitigate this.

- Iwatch needs to be in contact with your skin always. I always use  a hand sock or long sleeves compression shirt. If the watch  goes over the sleeves it automatically locks and you have to input the unlock code again. Somehow you cant disable this. So I need to make sure I pull the sleeves up before the watch.

- Watch snapshot activates when both buttons on the watch are pressed. With a bowed left hand at address and gloves,  both buttons on the iwatch get pressed and I get screen snapshots of the watch on my phone. To mitigate this I loosen the strap and make sure I wear it  a bit higher on my wrist.

-Don't forget to put it on Do Not Disturb Mode when playing . Screwed a few shots when my swing is already in process and a message comes in and it vibrates on my wrist. And also, don't forget to put your Iphone on Do Not Disturb also. It's holstered to my belt, so I still got screwed when a call came in while in the middle of my swing.

-Screen is too reflective on sunny days . Kinda hard to see the data on screen with the sun reflecting on it. Have to shade it with my right hand (kinda hard also when you are holding a club). Will look for an anti reflective protector to fix this.

-Make sure you have Activate on Wrist Raise on and it Resumes to  Last Used App .
I normally deactivate this to save on battery. Its not efficient to keep on pushing on the dial whenever you need to get a distance reading. So I make sure this feature is on when I play.

-Useless on entering score for now.  This is my biggest complaint. I normally track other details such as putts, penalties, hazards and drive direction together with the score in Golf Shot. However in Iwatch you can only input score. So after every hole I still pick up the phone and enter my score and details. I don't know if they will resolve this in a later update.

I hope this helps.
Am considering this to replace the pebble which I am using now, similarly have to have phone on me and connected via bluetooth. Because of this, phone(Samsung S4) drains rather quickly using both gps and bluetooth. Will need to figure out how to not vibrate when I'm on the golf course because msgs or calls comes in and the display gets interrupted, I'm using FreeCaddie for the distance to green reading by the way. For the rest of the points, Pebble seems quite okay with it.
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 3:59 pm

I have a Pebble Time Steel, black, brand new, if anyone is keen.
Back to top Go down
imrog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 4:51 pm

I have a 42mm Apple sports watch white band if anyone interested. brand new in sealed in plastic still.
Back to top Go down
gilbtch
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 12:15 pm

imrog wrote:
I have a 42mm Apple sports watch white band if anyone interested. brand new in sealed in plastic still.
How much you asking for the Apple Sports?
Back to top Go down
may_dream1
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2016 10:40 am

anyone using apple watch series 2 for the gps? the previous apple watch have no inbuilt gps thus need to have the phone with you all the time. with this new inbuilt, i am wondering whether it works like garmin.
there are so many different golf gps apps... wondering which is better to use on the apple watch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Apple watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple watch   Apple watch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Apple watch
Page 1 of 1