Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can U bend a Cast iron set ??

Go down 
+5
stickman
Alv1ngoh
eqtrend
Kookk
Botak88
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? Empty
PostSubject: Can U bend a Cast iron set ??   Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 10:22 am

Seeking advise from all bro out there

My current iron is cast jpx 825

My friend told me that I should change my iron as its a "closed face" iron because most of my ball tends to go either straight or left (draw) and I will not know if its the club or my swing.

Can I bend it to neutral face ?? 

Love this set of iron and don't feel like changing it

Pls advise & TIA White Flag

Last edited by Botak88 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can U bend a Cast iron set ??   Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 10:43 am

Anything wrong with going straight?
Back to top Go down
eqtrend
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can U bend a Cast iron set ??   Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 10:47 am

In theory no, but i seen guy bending loft +-1, but i never seen guys adjusting "close or open face" for cast iron thou.  But most club fitter will discourage it, if you still want to bend .. obviously risk is on club owner..
Back to top Go down
Alv1ngoh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can U bend a Cast iron set ??   Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 10:52 am

Closing or opening face -- would that just involve refitting the shaft at another angle?
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can U bend a Cast iron set ??   Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 11:09 am

Hi bro,

I believe there are 2 issues here. 1st, being your subject heading and 2nd, being the description in your tread.

I think it is because of your 2nd issue that you are thinking of exploring the 1st issue. However, the 2nd issue can be resolved by your grip, stance and swing and it is best to seek the opinion of the coach (Cos I sucks here!)

Can I bend a cast iron? Well yes and no. Most fitters will say that cast iron are too hard to bend and it risk breaking the iron when subjected to the stress of the bending process. However, some will say that they will try to bend only a "little bit" if you insist, BUT WILL NOT GRARANTEE AND WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY BREAKAGE. So am I willing to take that risk?

I have read somewhere that PING's cast iron can be bended and I suspect it can be so, because there is a "slot" at the hosel area. In my opinion, this "slot" will provide less metal to bend as compared to a fully rounded hosel, thus making bending more possible(I am making my assumption here). BUT A CAST IRON IS STILL CAST AND IT IS HARD TO BEND.

Cheers bro.
Back to top Go down
bigsplash
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can U bend a Cast iron set ??   Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 11:58 am

if heated to extreme heat (red hot), cast iron can be bent 

but im confused.  Shocked
straight/slight draw to left is good shot right?
Back to top Go down
dreamer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can U bend a Cast iron set ??   Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Technically, can bend the loft of a cast iron, although not many fitters will do it for fear of breaking it.

But from what I am reading, you are "complaining" about the offset (aka your open face and close face comment)? Then I don't think you can resolve it by bending.

You can purposely weaken the grip or set it up a bit open if you really need to hit a fade.
But if your balls are straight or draw consistently, then you can aim appropriately.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Darryl Xu
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can U bend a Cast iron set ??   Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 10:45 pm

What determines whether an iron's lie angle can be bent is the type of metal used in its manufacture, not whether it was forged or cast. Different grades of steel, with differing hardness, can be bent to different amounts before the metal breaks. The fact of the matter is that most forged irons are made with soft carbon steel, and most cast irons are made with a harder steel (in the case of most Pings that would be stainless steel). So in general, fitters would shy away from adjusting lie angles of cast clubs, unless they know exactly what grade of steel was used in the manufacture of the head.  If a cast set of irons was made from a softer steel, it would be just as easy to bend versus a forged set of similar material. Ping will bend cast stainless steel iron hosels, by pre-heating the hosel first. They do know roughly how much bending the head can take before the metal gives way, and they can tell you when was the last time they broke a head, but even Ping will not guarantee against breakage (I have emailed them myself). So do it at your own risk.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can U bend a Cast iron set ??   Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 10:17 am

Hi Botak88, a lot of the bros here are very diplomatic ... the simple answer is that it is bad idea to try and bend your current iron set.

I would suggest that you diagnose the issue properly first.  Book 1 lesson with a pro who has a launch monitor, I understand Justin Han at Seletar has one, and now Heartland Golf School at JCC (look for Brad Walterhouse or Chris Holloway) have a launch monitor as well.

The 1 lesson will clearly tell you what is causing your ball to go left and it will be about the same price or cheaper than getting your entire iron set bent (not to mention if it makes things worse and you have to bend it back).

The lesson will likely cost less than $100 but it will remove all doubt in your mind.  To me, it will be time and money well spent.
Back to top Go down
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can U bend a Cast iron set ??   Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks for all the valuable info given

Atlease i hve a rough idea wat to do now

Kam xia kam xia to all bros
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can U bend a Cast iron set ??   Can U bend a Cast iron set ?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can U bend a Cast iron set ??
Page 1 of 1