Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Forged? Cast?

Go down 
+4
TigaWood
rocky
chemicalpro
jaketang
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi fellow golfers, pro's n experts,

Have some questions over the irons....

1) How do we know whether we are "skill" enough to play forged? Does it take a minimal skill level to play it, in order to so call take advantage of forged

2) Are cast irons more inferior compare to forged? if not how come they are cheaper?

Assuming i would like to get a set of forged irons, is there any recommended set to purchase? is it better for me to get a 2nd hand set?
(btw, i m leftie) anyone got lobang to get it?

juz asking around.

Cheers.....
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Types Of Iron

Forged Irons
Forging a club is very similar to what the village blacksmith used to do. The metal is sunk into a rough shape and then hammered until the desired design is complete. The manufacturer is then presented with a raw forging iron, which is a close approximation of the club head desired. The carbon steel or chrome club head is then by finished by milling, grinding and drilling. The end result is a solid looking, soft metal iron that has a reduced sweet spot. The completed forged irons are aimed towards good players who place importance on the feel to be able work shots and control trajectory.

Cast Irons
The alternative to forged irons is the cast iron. This type of iron involves pouring the liquid metal into a mould. Producing the metal through a mould means that the manufacturers can make more complex head designs. Therefore, cast irons are more suited to the design of today's irons that are perimeter weighted and intricate. It is easier and cheaper than forged irons, which is the reason for the lower price tag.

Source: http://www.golfalot.com/Equipment/BuyingGuides/Irons.aspx

In summary, forged irons have a smaller sweet spot as compared to cast irons.

Swing
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 10:35 pm

My take:

Forged irons are for you if you are the type that practice a lot. Eg. at least twice a week at the range.

Just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 10:39 pm

"In summary, forged irons have a smaller sweet spot as compared to cast irons."

I thought it's the design of the club head(Cavity Vs Blade) that determines the size of the sweet spot. However it is true most blade are forged and game improvements clubs are casted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:07 pm

forget what others say abt sweet spots, ease of hitting, feel .... (There are enough misleading facts out there as it is).

forging and casting are just 2 different ways of making iron heads. That's about it.

Cast irons are generally cheaper because they are less labour and time consuming to make compare to forged irons.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:17 pm

i do understand the diff in the ways they are manufacture...

my concern is tht does forged really provide "better feel" n "better control" if we were to practice "more" n correctly" ?

suppose we are not tht hardworking, forged will cause more harm then good?

*sorry i very mountain tortise.....
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:31 pm

jaketang wrote:

my concern is tht does forged really provide "better feel" n "better control" if we were to practice "more" n correctly" ?

you will believe what your mind wants you to believe. What I can tell you is that scientific studies have shown they don't make the slightest difference. It is the design components that dictate the feel, the forgiveness.
take 2 identical hammers, one cast one forged. which is harder to hit a nail?? there you go, you just got your answer.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:35 pm

ironhead wrote:
jaketang wrote:

you will believe what your mind wants you to believe. What I can tell you is that scientific studies have shown they don't make the slightest difference. It is the design components that dictate the feel, the forgiveness.
take 2 identical hammers, one cast one forged. which is harder to hit a nail?? there you go, you just got your answer.

thank you sir. Smile

but i do find normally cast irons got very thick top line....

i used to be quite "hesitant" with those "thin" lines... but now i seems to like it alittle better....
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:35 pm

Quote :
ironhead wrote:

the hammer is the BEST analogy IMHO.....steady bro.....
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:58 pm

jaketang wrote:

thank you sir. Smile

i used to be quite "hesitant" with those "thin" lines... but now i seems to like it alittle better....

no need to thk me, I was like you when I started out, led to believe tht forged is better, purer etc.
think abt affordability and demand, cast is cheaper to make, more durable, rustproof and since more than 80% clubs sold are game improvement clubs (synonymous with big cavity, thicker top line, more off set) of coz u want to make them as affordable as possible. Having said this, there are more and more forged game improvement clubs available now.

taking a liking to better looking clubs is a normal progression and a lot to do with personal preferences ie what yr eyes like to see. Many top Pro's still use large cavity back wt thick top lines and off set, look at Monty. I was fortunate to play 9 holes with him once at the local club and he didn't give a toss how his clubs looked. if u want a new set, get them custom fitted. it may cost a little more but it helps with yr game and in a long run you actually save money.

there are too many golf myths around, here's another one.... a 460cc titanium driver hits farther than the old smaller 400cc driver.
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 12:01 am

Duval_S wrote:

the hammer is the BEST analogy IMHO.....steady bro.....

bro,

I cannot blame them because I was like them once. like reading newspaper, you can't believe every words they print. As I have already raised in other thread in GR, i didnt want to reply to this thread initially, sure enuf...some guys will post some unfounded misinformed information.

may you be blessed with many birdies.. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mizuno
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Mizuno

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 1:18 am

jaketang wrote:
ironhead wrote:

thank you sir. Smile

I tried fren's new Ping i15 irons recently, each has thin top line, and feel quite "forged" (due to the black insert at the back), even though it is cast iron. Black or White hammers, as long as can hit nail nicely, good enuf IMHO. Smile

forged iron get dent easily though, so get a good iron covers...Iron Covers kekeke Razz
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 7:38 am

I think technology these days has allowed forged irons to be just as forgiving as cast irons. That said, what I think is more important is to get yourself fitted for the clubs. A set of forgiving irons would be more effective if the clubs are tweaked to your swing, stance, style of play etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Forged? Cast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged? Cast?   Forged? Cast? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forged? Cast?
Page 1 of 1